Opinions of Streamlight Propolymer 4AA Luxeon?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that Flashlightreviews.com gives it a good rating. Is it really that good of a light? I also saw that Fox Intl. has it on sale for $23 - is that a good price? I am thinking about getting one in all black for my dad for Christmas. I am also considering the Penty L2 3W, but the SL 4AA Luxeon uses the common AAs' which are easy to get. But I have a few questions:

Where is it manufactured? Made or mostly made in USA is very important to me.

Any problems with them? Don't want to get him something that will crap out.

How is the beam compared to the Ministar2 TLE-5 LED drop in for the 2AA Minimag? ( the new one, R bin that puts out about 40 lumens ).

Cagmag

Newly Enlightened
You won't be sorry. However, you better buy two....one for your Dad and one for yourself. Outstanding light for the money. Highly recommended.

I also have the new TLE-5 and like it alot. But, it is NO COMPARISON to the PP 4AA Luxeon.

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
The packaging says, "Assembled in USA" - I assume many of the parts, such as electronics, are made offshore.

It's a good light for $23. Very bright for a 1watt. Mine are a little greenish. Smooth reflector gives some rings to the beam.

onthebeam

Enlightened
Search the forums here. You'll fine a huge amount of information on this popular and economical light.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,I'm gonna order two in the black - one for dad and one for me!

*UPDATE* Just ordered them, can't wait!

Last edited:

Greg

Newly Enlightened
Absolutely great light, blows away my 3 watt luxeon lights. Much better than my DB-3W drop in for my maglite. No complaints here. Use it everyday, and takes NiMH quite well.

zapper

Enlightened
Good thing you got two. You won't be sorry unless you wish you would have bought more! Mine has a slight green tint but only when compared to my pure white XM-3 or VB-16. Throws like a professional quarterback on a highschool budget but still has enough spill light to work with up close. Plus it has all those safety ratings and is made out of tough plastic so it won't sound bad when it eventually hits the ground and won't scratch up as bad.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
The SL PP Lux is definitely in the contender list for light of the year!

It's cheap, rugged, very bright and white, and gets excellent flat regulation for at least 3-4 hours off NiMHs.

The beam has a very tight and bright hotspot with a great throw, which probably makes it better for outdoor use than close up indoor use.

If you want another 4AA plastic Lux torch for indoor use, then the UK 4AA eLED is also excellent and cheap. It has a less intense more diffuse (and artifacty) beam, but gets really amazing runtime (12+ hours off NiMHs).

Both are really fantastic and economical lights.

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
Mine failed after 5 months, I believe the problem was with the tail switch. I called SL and they said no prob, just send it back for free repair. That being said, it is an excellent light. I wish the switch was on top, but that is just a personal preference. You won't be disappointed.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've placed orders for SL 4AA lux's at BrightGuy.com, then DLS Enterprises, then again at Fox International. Most I sold or gave away to those who admired the lights performance. I kept two for myself as it's my favorite flashlight. I can think of a few minor changes to make the light better, but I am still very pleased with it just as it is.

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
Being new to this hobby, I figured I'd try this light after all the great reviews I read on it, and I have to admit I'm not the least bit disappointed. I'm definitely going to order a few more as Xmas gifts this year, and might *accidentally* order one extra for me!