Super 1 Watt

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
After reading the thread about the new Dorcy Super 1Watt 3D I went to Best Buy's website to check it out. On their site they have quite the selection of Dorcy led flashlights, and I noticed one I hadn't seen before. It appears to be about the size of a mini maglite, but has a 1 watt luxeon and also takes 2XAA like the mag. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it, such as quality, type of switch(tailcap reverse clickie or twisthead), and brightness/runtime. I'd imagine it's not regulated, but probably is resistored. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

10051529.jpg

Last edited:

mpk

Newly Enlightened
What search terms did you use? I couldn't find any Dorcy flashlights on Bestbuy.com

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine from Future Shop ($40).

Not that bright for a luxeon. Mine has a widish weakish hotspot surrounded by an even weaker corona then spill light. Tint is yellow. I suspect underdriven led rather than luxeon lottery. It takes 4 half turns of the tailcap to lock out the momentary button.

I have retired mine. My other luxeon lights all have a more intense hotspot. But the light that retired the Dorcy is the 7x7mm from Emillion. It has a much bigger blob of whiter light. I just ordered 2 more for gifts at US$16.63 postage paid.
http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/osc...21_74&osCsid=a4fbdaa1277ba3b18c82b5903af16562
Review:
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/third/7mmflite.htm
Note Emillion has only 3 left. It took him 3 months to replenish his stock last time he ran out.

Things that bugged me about the Dorcy 2AA 1W:
The hotspot/corona. I prefer a single even spot of light.
The Dorcy LED tailcap. I do not know morse code. Having to lockout the button is a pain.

[EDIT] Pulled the Dorcy out and tried it with alkalines. Beam is much whiter. I normally use NiMH.

Last edited:

Jayman

Newly Enlightened
After seeing the thread about the L2P and the pics comparing it to the minimag, I think I'll skip the Dorcy and get the L2P to fill the 2XAA niche.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
The 7x7 must be extremely bright! But the current draw
of close to 700mA from the 3xAAA means it will barely last
one full hour on the rechargeable 750mAh batteries.

If we assume it is pumping 100mA to each LED, you are
talking about 7 MJled type of brightness. That has to be
blinding! This is over 2Watt of power coming out there!

- Vikas

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 7x7mm is running about 2 hours on 900mAH NiMH.That works out to 450mA total or about 60 mA per LED. While brighter than my 1 watters, Emillions 32 LED or 3 watt MXDL should whomp it without difficulty. I like the wide blob of light as I am using it indoors, no throw required.