Schuey2002

Enlightened
My definition of a U2 would be.........

"It's yet another SF light that I desperately want, but sadly can't afford."

:mecry:

Size15's

Flashaholic
To me, the U2 is a "dutylight" rather than a "TacticalLight" or an "EDC"
It is an important step forward as a proof of concept.
SureFire can do better without a doubt.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It has variable brighness settings, uses a Lux V, and can run off safely off any 18650 li-ion battery.

Like Size15 said, it's more of a utility light.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Size15's said:
To me, the U2 is a "dutylight" rather than a "TacticalLight" or an "EDC"
It is an important step forward as a proof of concept.
SureFire can do better without a doubt.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by a Duty Light?

(Maybe its because I spent so much on the U2, I wanna think of it as the tactical EDC!!! :rock: )

Last edited:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your definition looks quite good, although you can add this one :
- A 279$ flashlight that leaves the factory without a decent quality control, which can possibly result in an ugly donut beam or a switch fail within a short period of time.

Size15's

Flashaholic
a99raptors said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by a Duty Light?

(Maybe its because I spent so much on the U2, I wanna think of it as the tactical EDC!!! :rock: )

For me as a non-tactical, non-dutylight flashlight user I get the impression that "tactical" lights need to be very bright very quickly - operating simple and without fuss. "dutylights" are those which are used on a regular [nightly] basis as part of a job (for example: Police Officer).

[Granted some dutylights such as those used by Firemen and people in explosive atmospheres are designed for those applications]

The U2 can be slow to active in high output mode. Too slow if you need light right away, and too slow if you've only got one hand free. It's not fast enough imho to be a true tactical light such as is the G2Z or M3 etc. I consider the L2 to be a tactial light. You press hard and you get high output - stop pressing and it switches off.

I think the U2 will make a good dutylight because it gives output options. I guess this does require it to be used with aftermarket rechargeable batteries.

Whether or not I think it'll make a good flashlight for a Police Officer matters little compared to what a Police Offier thinks. To that end I have given one of the U2's I have to my mate who has recently begun his training (here in the UK) and although with a Pila kit and a backup L4 he'll let me know how useful it is.

Al

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the distinction size 15 makes between "Tactical" and "Duty".

For me personally (former LEO) the U2 would have made a good "Duty" light, that is to say it's smaller size, durability, and the flexability of it's light levels, would have all combined to make it nice for the mundane daily tasks any cop runs into (taking notes, looking in cars, the regular "public service" type of calls.

Tactical (to me) implies a danger scenario such as looking for someone armed. In that case the U2 misses out because you often need to peer through shrubs and fences to see what is behind and the floodlight of the U2 isn't good for that.

So I guess I would define the U2 as a "Duty" light.

Safety1st

Enlightened
Size15's said:
Whether or not I think it'll make a good flashlight for a Police Officer matters little compared to what a Police Offier thinks. To that end I have given one of the U2's I have to my mate who has recently begun his training (here in the UK) and although with a Pila kit and a backup L4 he'll let me know how useful it is.
Al

Funnily enough..i've been thinking about using my U2 at work...

My current flashlight on duty is the Streamlight Scorpion..and it's doing very well.

I used to use the M3 combatlight...but felt it a little on the large size...(physically)...

I'm in negotiations at the moment to aquire a C2..and I think that will either take over the role that the Scorpion does...or will be a backup light...

The U2 would be great for searching vehicles and such like.....but for direct light into the eyes of a 'customer'...it's not really focused enough for my liking...

IMHO of course...

magic79

Enlightened
Based on the number of posts I see in CPF, I think you need to add another definition:

7. A very expensive flashlight with a very poor quality record.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
8. An expensive and technologically advanced flashlight which seems to incite strong passions for or against.

FWIW, I like the two I have a lot.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Safety1st said:
The U2 would be great for searching vehicles and such like.....but for direct light into the eyes of a 'customer'...it's not really focused enough for my liking...

This won't be an issue at all, for at least a few feet (up to 20 or maybe more). The U2 simply puts A LOT of light, and the deep reflector does wonders.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
As said above, my utility light. So my definition of my U2 =

- The only 2X CR123 light in my collection that rides in a holster on my belt or kevlar vest/load bearing vest for utility use on/off duty offering multiple output levels with a simple way to toggle between the different modes.

I agree with Size15's about the U2 not being a tactical light. In tactical situations the light will need to be simple to use and operated with one hand with a LOTC, not clicky. When I get my concealed carry weapon I will either get a G2Z or M2 for it.

Recently my U2 tailcap got smashed and it seems like Surefire changed the design of the U2 tailcap so now the new tailcap has 4 tabs vs the older 3.

The tailcap works on my U2 but doesn't on an earlier version of the U2 (CPF member luxlover's.) There must be a spacing issue with the new one.

This should no exist on a $279 light. Surefire are you listening? Not bashing them, they make superb lights and are leaps and bounds above typical store bought lights, but this is an issue to raise with Surefire.