APEX problems? Hear about mine

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
Windsor, Canada - across from warzone D (Detroit)
I love the Apex so far, but I just noticed on the weekend that there were a bunch of hairline fractures around the orange housing. I am not too happy with this development.

Do any of you have these on your lights?

I intend to contact PT about the issue for a replacement.

Tyson

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Hello,

I was really determined to buy an Apex for myself until I discovered they were being recalled for all kinds of manufacturing faults. I wound up with a Petzl Myo XP which has been a flawless performer thus far. The dealer that sold me carries both and said the "fixed" Apex wouldnt be re-released for a few weeks. Contact your dealer and ask about the recall. Should be under warranty in any case. Hope this helps.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problems with mine so far. I've used it on a few trips outside in rain and low temperatures (around freezing) and I haven't found anything wrong with it.
If they have a problem with the molded plastic housing it might be dependant on what colour your housing is.

Usually black is the easiest colour to get right (this used to be the case..), but mine OD and Tysons is orange.
I'll give mine an inspection when I get home from work just in case...

Sverre

flashlightOholic

Newly Enlightened
i havent had any problems with my orange apex. i called princeton tec direct to ask about the recall. they had no idea what i was talking about?? they said there is no recall .......

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
For clarification, the cracks seem to eminate from the Lux - small hairline cracks that can be seen when the light is on. Put your thumb over the optic and see if any cracks are there.

I sent PT an email and expect a response today. I will post my email and the response.

Tysonb

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
As promised, here are the emails. email links removed for spam prevention.

During the conversation, he suggested that I return the product to REI where I purchased it. I asked if this was a problem in general with the light. He said that there were no issues so far. I guess that they wanted my light ASAP to look at the cracks.

I provided him with my address so that he can ship the light.

Tyson,

We just spoke on the phone about your Apex light. Hopefully you receive this email before going to REI. We would like to get that light back directly from you. Please provide me with your address, and we will mail you a brand new Apex. We just tested a few that we had lying around the office and all is well with them.

Regards,

Jay Harrington
Corporate Sales Rep.
1-800-257-9080 ext. 108
609-227-4108 Direct
866-509-5021 Direct Toll Free
609-298-9601 Fax
www.princetontec.com
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 9:03 PM
To: info
Subject: Apex with cracks

Hello,

I have had an orange APEX now for about a month, and have just noticed quite a few hairline fractures around the orange housing around the 3W luxeon LED.

I fully expect that this defect is covered under warranty. Please advise on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Tyson Baldwin

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tyson,

Any chance to get a pic of what your talking about before you send it back?

Mine is Orange, I gave it a good looking over and the only thing I see is what looks like a little ripple in the plastic about the 8 o'clock postion between the optic and the lens cover over the 5mm LED's.

Other than that it looks good, performance has been excellent so far over 34 hours making runtime plots and actual use it's pushing between 45 and 50 hours.....guess time will tell.

Later
Kelly

tysonb

Newly Enlightened
As stated by PT, I got my replacement via 2 day UPS. It does seem that they stand behind the lable on the box that reads " Lifetime Warranty"

I still love the APEX, but I am waiting to see how this light holds up now that I experienced this issue.

Tysonb

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Apex is a winner with NiMH cells. I don't know whether I'm more impressed with the spill of the four Nichias or the bright, large spot of the 3W Lux. I know that the dual levels are icing on the cake.

grnamin

Enlightened
Only problem I've encountered with my Apex was the rubber O-ring seal breaking when it lifted and snagged on the upper part of the battery case when I opened it to insert the batteries for the first time. PT said they're sending me a replacement.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I had a tab on the battery holder of my EOS break off and I sent it in to PT. They sent me a new EOS. I was very pleased with the quick service. So I am not surprise they are standing behind your Apex. I just purchased an Apex today from Brightguy because I would like a great headlamp like that and I am not concerned because PT will stand behind it if it anything goes wrong.

flashlightsaregreat

Newly Enlightened
My wife & I both have apex's. We both like them, but one problem, when changing batteries, when you push the battery pack in, if the screw lock is not quite lined up, it can sometimes pop out of the bottom. And, it didn't take much pressure to make it pop out. I've done it with both lights, managed to push it back in. Wouldn't be much fun if you were in the snow, trying to find it.