L4 owner, needs e2L also??

Numbers

Enlightened
I just received my new L4. Seems like an e2L would be a nice light to go along with it. Those of you who have both (or both heads and one body) help me justify the purchase. How do you use these two lights? Which one do you choose for a given situation?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I use my L4 occasionally in a TW4 configuration -- 1 rechargable 123 cell in a Vital Gear single cell body. It is very small and you won't see a brighter light anywhere (although runtime is short).

I have a KL1 that I use sometimes and an L1. The KL1 resdies on a 2 cell body so it is really a e2L but I don't use it much except around the house.

In theory, the KL1 has great throw for an LED light (it really does), but I don't have call for using a very narrow beam like that, so I use an FM04 beamshaper to create more of a flood. And when you're doing that, why not just use the L4?

Just my ramblings, I don't know if this helped any or or not. I would suggest considering an A2 as that has throw that the L4 lacks, and also LEDs for short distance flood capabilities with very long runtime. Seems to me a good complement to your L4.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you REALLy need is an Aleph 1 head. Lux III + downboy 917mAh or wizard should do. The 27mm gives a nice throw, but not in a weird beam like the KL1, though it wont be just 56$

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Numbers said:
I just received my new L4. Seems like an e2L would be a nice light to go along with it. Those of you who have both (or both heads and one body) help me justify the purchase. How do you use these two lights? Which one do you choose for a given situation?

You don't really need an e2L. You just want it :D
You're being bitten by the flashlight bug... don't dish out the cash before looking around at all possibilities first!

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both, like them both and use them differently. My L4 (w/ Aleph 2-stage tailcap) is for lighting up the trail/path on nocturnal hikes out at our ranch. Great flood (best I've owned)--- for seeing exactly what you're stepping into!

I use my E2L as an all-round utility light---mainly around our house in the exurbs---for walking the dog, spotting the deer or resident fox in the yard, etc. Nice medium distance throw, and with lux business end and AW's protected R123s, almost zero cost of operation.

Buy 'em both and play with them a little. If you decide you don't need both, no big deal: when you buy the good stuff and it doesn't work out, it's easy to find it a happy new home on B/S/T!

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
The L4 is great for INSIDE uses where a wide flood beam is needed. It also works well outside (a) for short-range lighting needs, (b) where there's no competing ambient light from streetlights, etc., or (c) when there's no fog, rain, or wet air to diffuse/bounce-back its floody beam.

The E2L (or KL1 on an E2) has a tighter, more focused "throw" beam that's very good for an LED. So, it's a better OUTSIDE light, especially where there is some degree of competing/ambient light. It does lack flood/spill for short-range lighting, but I find it more versatile for EDC and back-up (to a bigger light) purposes. You can use it INSIDE to light up a room via the "ceiling-bounce" method. The E2L also has more than TWICE the L4's runtime.

Both are great little lighting tools with excellent regulation. It all depends on what you want the tool to do.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was disapointed with the performance of the li-ion 1x123 with the KL1 head... only 30min runtime at constant brightness and then it shuts off... the KL4 head will run 30min almost at full brightness then at least taper giving you additional time not just one second your working in the dark and the next min. its out.

my search for the best 1x123 head is at https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99604

the KL1 setup is great for normal 123 batteries... a 2x123 setup will give you a lot of light for a long time...