need your help in choosing snow tires.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I need your help in choosing snow tires for this winter. Can you guys telll me what snow tires do you use on your car? I am considering buying any of the following snow tires:

Yokahoma iceguard IG10
Blizzak LM 18
Michelin X-ice
Toyo observe G02+
Pirelli snowsport 210
Goodyear ultragrip ice

Do you use those tires that I indicated on the list? I have accord sedan 1993 4dr model. There are plenty of ice & snow in my city of Toronto , Canada in the winter. I currently using all season Pirelli nero zero M+S. It is not snow tires despite the S symbol. A snow tire must have the snow flake symbol to qualify the international standard for snow tires.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used snow tires, I've found the best way to deal with snow is with different rims- ones that are skinny and can take a narrower tire. With those I can go up a 45 degree hill in thick fresh snow and even try to spin and still pull up. With my normal large wide rims and wide all-season tires, just putting the car in drive (automatic) at idle is enough to break one tire free and spin while idling, once that happens, the other wheel won't turn of course. Sorry I can't be of better help, but if you can, go for the narrowest tire you can fit on your rim/wheel.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are all excellent tires but I have not used those myself. My supervisor has a set of X Ice tires and just loves them on his AWD Areo<---spelling

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been a year since I did my research (A LOT of research), but I read great things about the Blizzaks, and pretty good things about the Yokahamas.

They were the only ones I seriously considered of "ice tires" The others got mediocre reviews at best....

I didn't buy them because I like a more universal mud rock & snow tire, have 4WD and couldn't afford single season tires..... Especially where I live & mostly drive; I can go through 2 ft of snow, ice, mud, rock and dry sand in one day... heck one hour. And while we can get icy roads, they rarely last more than three days, followed by a week or two of warm sunny and dry days.

And since ice tires don't live too long on dry streets, I didn't want to be swapping tires every week or so.

So Here is what I chose :
INTERCO SSR . But these only make sense if you have a 4WD and you do a fair amount of off road. Not for a passenger car city - highway driver, which I assume is what you are looking for.

So, if my assumptions about your needs are correct, my first choice would be the blizzaks.

Last edited:

Brock

Flashaholic
Well I now run Nokian's Hakka Q's on their own wheels

Of these

Yokahoma iceguard IG10 - never tried
Blizzak LM 18 - best I have used beside Nokian, but don't compare to Nokian
Michelin X-ice - pretty good
Toyo observe G02+ - never used
Pirelli snowsport 210 - never used
Goodyear ultragrip ice - close to the x-ice's

The only "all season" that is also rated with the true "snow flake" is the Nokian WR's (have them on my wife's van), they should last about 50K and they have about the traction as the Blizzak's but last WAY longer.

The catch with most of these tires is that they are snows for about 1/2 their life then hit a harder compound that are fine for light snow, but don't compare to new. Nokian's are snow till they are gone.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! I never heard of Nokian before...

Gee, I wonder if they are related to Nokia, the cell phone maker.

I like the look of theirNOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA LT

I might consider them when I need new tires for the bigger truck.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Bridgestone winter duellers. Not too expensive. Works like a charm. check it out:

http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/index_bs.asp

I tell ya.... they are absolutely great tires to avoid slipping in snow... 5/7 inch deep treads, I recommend them. But they are mostly for trucks and SUVs, but they might have your size.

-David

Latest posts