I have a confession to make......

JimmyB

Enlightened
...................I'm 43 and I still play with flashlights. Yeah, I need one for work. I've been a cop for 18 years and have a Surefire L5 for serious use. I'm in the motor unit and ride year round so I need something durable and waterproof. But in my off time I carry flashlights for fun. I don't care about tactical this or tactical that. I like lights that are cool and fun. The cooler and "funner" the better. The one I'm enjoying the most right now is my Lioncub that I bought from Mut. I'm also having fun with my Raw.

I went out walking in Discovery Park tonight with my dog. Discovery Park is in Seattle and is about 40 acres right on Puget Sound. It gets pretty dark there at night so it's a great place to goof around with lights. I like taking the dog out at night and he loves the park so it's a good deal for both of us. Whenever I go I carry a light or *two* (cough, cough). Tonight I had a U2 that I recently bought. I was pretty impressed with it overall. I think the low setting could be a little lower but it's great to have a variable light.

I also had my 6P that I bought in the early 90's. I put a new generation KL3 on it and the throw is amazing. Great runtime too. My L4 got some use too but it's a bit too bright for dark trails (that sounds weird). Can a flashlight really be too bright? I brought a Mag 951 that really lit up the area. It was nice to have because it has good throw and spill. It's like a little slice of daylight. I was blown away with how much my little Orb Raw lit up the area too. If you want a "wow" light, this is it.

A couple more random thoughts….Dogs don't need no stinkin flashlights. They have great night vision. I tried really hard not to shine the light on him. Also, dogs don't seem to care too much what the beam looks like. Flood? Spot? Just get out of the way so I can pee on that bush.
dog.gif

Anyway, I'm rambling. I guess my point is that serious flashlights may be necessary but don't get so caught up in choosing the perfect light that you miss the fun part of flashlights. I'm glad that I still have a lot of that kid still in me.
toothy10.gif

Gotta go, I bought a cheeseburger for the mutt and he's giving me the evil eye. Later…..

JimmyB

PS somehow I posted this on the other board when I meant to do it here. Oh well now it's on both.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Welcome aboard JimmyB! I "share" that positive attitude that you have as well! I do own a "few" myself and am still enjoying them. When I find one that I'm not enjoying anymore, it typically gets "recycled" towards another one.

Certainly a world of lights to choose from, sounds like you've got a nice practical collection going!

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyB,

Welcome to CPF. I am 38 and I still play with my flashlights every chance I get. I carry one during the day now which I never used to do. Who knows what might happen that would put a person in a situation to need a light during the day, right? A lady here in Chicago got car jacked and thrown into the trunk of her own car. Good time to have a flashlight, right? (and an inside trunk release like my car has)

What kind of dog do you have and what is his name?

ChocolateLab33

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF JimmyB! Great to hear another from person who loves light for the sake of light! It's great to be able to enjoy it! Stay awhile and keep that fun attitude!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
My girls and my wife think it's absurd when I wave my flashlight as we cross a street--especially if I'm using the orange traffic cone. "It's still daylight! They can see us!" one will say.

Yes, but will they notice us?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck, for me playing with flashlights is a daily (nightly) occurance, and at least half the reason to buy so many. They're fun, plain and simple. The fact that they're useful is nice too!!