hit and run

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
This past Friday I was in my kitchen at 2 in the afternoon. I was looking out my back window while talking on the phone. I live on the corner of a court. I saw a car drive into the court, no big deal, he starts to turn to circle the court and then all of a sudden- BAM, he hits the car parked in the street outside the house directly in the middle of the court and I'm like, HOLY SH**! to the person on the phone, I gotta call the cops. So I'm hanging up to call the police and I see the car backing up and I realize this A**HOLE is going to take off. So I drop the phone and run like hell to my front door to try to get outside and grab a plate # but the jerkoff is already through the intersection. There was no way for me to get the plate #. I ran back and called the cops. My neighbor did not get home until over 2 hours later. I went over to talk to the officer and describe the car as best as I could.
From what I saw, I think it was intentional. The guy managed to side swipe the entire car and hit it so hard it moved the car. Now, you just don't hit a car like that in a court unless it is on purpose. It's not like he sped into the court and rammed it. I think he knew nobody was home and he knew exactly what he was doing. (IMO) My feeling is that he meant to swipe it and keep going but he got hung up and had to back up.

***Here's why I think it was intentional. A few nights before this happened, a car fitting the same description as the hit and run vehicle was sitting outside my house with 2 people in it. My Chocolate Lab watch dog saw the car and went ballistic. I was about to call the police (any occupied unauthorized vehicles in front of my house get a visit from the police) when the people started the car and drove east, turned around back towards my house, stopped and then a person came running out of the court and got in the back seat and they took off down the street. I could swear it was the same car. Hmmmmmmm.......and I think they were up to something no good!
You have to be pretty pissed off at someone to ram their car like that. I am going to try to contact my neighbor to see if they found out anything and I will post it. Sorry if I am long-winded.

Lisa

Santelmo

Enlightened
I've always trusted a woman's intuition, often sharper than a man's. Do be careful though.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
Ah, I don't miss chicago for that reason....

Keep safe.
ooo.gif

I know what you mean. I live in a suburb not far from Chicago, but I work in Chicago and I am always on alert there.

Lisa

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Former Cop habit. I always take a pen and a small pad of paper when the wife and I take our evening constitutional. Most of the time I jot down the time we start, the time we finish, and the weather conditions and that's about it.

BUT sometimes there is other stuff such as the description of a suspicious vehicle, or a suspicious person, or an accident such as happened last night ( See https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/98825 Post #19)

When I was a cop walking patrol I would see something that, for whatever reason, just made me go "hrmmmm" and I would jot down some notes. The amazing thing is how many times I would be back at the same scene a few hours later after a robbery or vandalism or whatever.

greenLED

Flashaholic
A flag goes up in my head when people act "too normal", so it's not always when something's out of place that I pay attention. At least, I try to... :)

Amazing how often we shrug off that "hmmmm" feeling. Gotta watch for it. I've come to the conclusion that people are just not used to observing; they're not aware of what goes on around them (and being a victim of a couple of muggings, I know I wasn't paying attention back then).

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: hit and run *update*

Well, I found out who was sitting in the car in front of my house and it did not have to do with the hit and run vehicle. I also found out a bit about the driver of the hit and run vehicle because another neighbor saw it also but the guy took off before she could grab a plate #. We now know the car is a Mercury because pieces of it were all over and one piece says Mercury on it. I'm really going to be keeping an eye out for this car and so are many of my neighbors. If he lives in the area and is still driving the car, one of us will eventually spot it. I hope it's me
naughty.gif

hit and run scum<:xyxgun:

Lisa

Lando

Newly Enlightened
Santelmo said:
I've always trusted a woman's intuition, often sharper than a man's. Do be careful though.

thats why most woman refuse to look at the map when they go visit new places, who needs a map if you can drive on intuition :devil:

Re: hit and run *update*

ChocolateLab33 said:
Well, I found out who was sitting in the car in front of my house and it did not have to do with the hit and run vehicle. I also found out a bit about the driver of the hit and run vehicle because another neighbor saw it also but the guy took off before she could grab a plate #. We now know the car is a Mercury because pieces of it were all over and one piece says Mercury on it. I'm really going to be keeping an eye out for this car and so are many of my neighbors. If he lives in the area and is still driving the car, one of us will eventually spot it. I hope it's me
naughty.gif

hit and run scum<:xyxgun:

Lisa

The guy must be a real rocket scientist. He side-swipes somebody with his car and a piece falls off that says Mercury on it. That's just too funny! What a moron. That's like these guys that rob banks with a mask on but the name Kenny right there on their work shirt. :crackup:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two major hit and run stories... First was about 12 or 13 years ago but only a quasi hit and run.

We lived downtown and I was walking to get either something for me or the wife and about 6am. From where I was, I could see the westbound light was turning red then about five seconds after it turned red, a car traveling westbound ran the light and hit a southbound car. Both were late model GMs (one was a Cadillac and one was either a Buick or Oldsmobile) and were both in very nice condition. First the Cadillac driver (who was not at fault) gets out and starts quietly yelling at the other driver, sort of in disbelief. Then they started talking quietly for maybe 10 seconds, then they both looked over at me and I was probably close to 50 yards away at that point. I gave them an 'ain't saying anything to anybody' look and kept on walking while making sure they weren't going to try to do anything to/with me. The at fault driver got in 'his' car and retrieved a greenish or tanish bag, they exchanged a few more quiet words and took off running the same direction they were originally traveling.

I went to the store, got what I needed, came back out and at that time, the police were there and I gave them my information. One of the officers and I were talking and at first, he had no idea what the deal might have been and then I suggested my theory - the only possible thing I could come up with was that both men were driving stolen cars. Why else would you run from a car worth $25,000-$40,000. It wasn't an issue of no insurance and doubtful that they were both drug-related... Either way, two people, somewhere, were out two pretty nice cars.

Other time was a few years after that. We were at a gas station filling up at about 11pm. There was a Camry behind us and a few other vehicles on the other pumps. A group of three girls walk out of the store and towards a junkie heap (maybe a late 70s Bonneville or Delta). The youngest girl makes some comment about wanting to drive, one of the other girls points out that she doesn't have a license but somehow, the younger girl ends up in the driver's seat. She has to back up to get around the car in front of her and when she does, the tires spin just a little bit. The swings around the car in front of her, pulls a safe 180 around the pumps, drives along the far side of all the pumps and just as she is past the apex, the tires go up in smoke, she fishtails and runs up on the pump rise (or whatever the elevated bit of concrete the pump sits on is called) and hits the Camry behind us (immediately behind us and I'm standing filling our truck
ooo.gif
) which still has the nozzle in its tank, hits it so hard that it knocks it out into the street and continues pushing it for maybe another 10 feet. There were two people in the Camry, I recall and two outside of it. The girls are all screaming in the car, the women in the Camry are screaming, the guys with (but outside of) the Camry are shocked and half of us are probably expecting the entire station to blow up (as they always do in movies). The girls compose themselves enough that the driver tries to flee... keeping in mind that they were all on camera and in front of multiple witnesses. One of their wheels (or possibly suspension underneath) is damaged and they only make it about 10 or 15 yards in a chaotic manner and stop.

The lesson is that... ALWAYS be watching out... ALWAYS take down plate numbers... and ALWAYS be ready to jump the hell out of the way at gas stations.

Navck

Enlightened
I've been in a "hit by and driver who hit us runs like hell" incident
I was with my family when I was about 6 in a Saab 9000 CD (Safe car.)
Well, the light went green on the instersection, we went forward FIRST (Not everyone else)
Suddenly, a 7 series BMW PLOWS into our driver door/somewhat near our rear door, in which we spin over 40+ feet for several seconds (While the seatbelts choked us so we wouldn't fly out the windows :crackup:stragling us for those few seconds)
Well, the 7 series driver (Which his car belong to his dad...) had his wheels PINNED down literally. When he hit us, it was enough force to dislocate his engine and such, also as well as some of the body frame, which literally "pinned" to the front wheels. That also gave him a hard time getting out. When we got out of our car to see what happened on his side, we see the guy kicking the door HARD, he kicks it open and RUNS.
The car was left there. Everyone in the area basically knew the guy. Apparently he was late for the subway, picking up his girlfriend.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Saab 9000 CD (Safe car.)
Did somebody call for me?

Never seen a hit and run, but a few years ago we were in our minivan (Which we replaced with a Saab 9-5) turning left at a light. Light turns 100% fully red, so we go to complete the turn so that the drivers going the direction of the now-green light can go through. My dad moves about 3 inches and a little red car that was speeding down the street zooms through the red light -- this was blatant red-light running. My dad stops and avoids being hit by the little red car, but we're immediately bumped from behind by a Pathfinder. The Pathfinder was a company car, and it was the first day the lady had it! (Wasn't new though).

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
Stop runaways in their tracks!

What you victims of hit-n-run drivers need is the carpoon.

http://www.carpoon.fi/

No joke. Scandinavian countries have been experimenting with this to stop high-speed chases. I saw it on a TV "future police tech" type documentary once.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Ahh, yes. Hit and run stories....

I was sitting at a green light about to turn left onto a one way street from a one way street. I'm waiting for pedestrians to clear the crosswalk so I can proceed. A pickup suddenly entered the intersection from my right and clipped the rear corner of another car that was going through the intersection. It hit at full speed (25 MPH or so) without slowing. The car that was hit spun but did not hit anything else.

The pickup came to a stop and the driver got out and looked at the victim's car for just a few seconds. Then he climbed back in and took off! People were running to the victim to help, so I turned to follow the truck to get his license. We were in a downtown area, so the blocks were short. This idiot drove up on the sidewalks to run the red lights. That was really stupid, because I stayed at the speed limit and kept up with him. I hit the lights just right.

About 6 blocks from the accident the idiot pulled onto the sidewalk one last time. He did not see the guy wires for the power pole. He ran right up it, leaving the front end 4 or 5 feet off the ground and the bumper on the sidewalk. With no wheels on the ground he could not move.

We were 1 block from the police department and the guy was caught before he got more than a few hundred feet. I gave a report and all was good.

I was later called to testify. It was really sad. They did not do a blood alcahol test, just a field sobriety (which he flunked). The perp claimed he had no brakes and could not stop. The impound yard had sold his truck for scrap so there was no way to disprove that alegation. My testimony that I saw him come to a complete stop several times was not sufficient for some reason.

Somehow they dropped the charges to reckless driving and he got off with a hand slap.

Never been so mad at the justice system.