Help Building Crude Emergency Light

sparkplug

Newly Enlightened
New to the forums and would like to build a BRIGHT emergency 12v led light/lantern with 6 to 8 hrs. runtime. I have a 12v 7.2 ah CSB (GP 1272) sealed lead battery. Any suggestions on reflectors, leds, wattage, resistors or any construction materaials will be appreciated. It does not have to be high tech., I am just beginning to hobby in this area and need a good emergency light no matter how crude but using low cost home made or retail hardware.
Any web links, pictures, or instructions would be of great help. Have a great day!! :huh2:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good place to start would be to go out and scrounge or build a housing. You need something that will hold the battery and have a handle if you want to walk around with it. For high power LEDs you will need heat sink(s) so the case should be able to hold (or be a) heatsink(s)

A nice thing about LEDs is that you can build them into anything, it doesn't have to look like a flashlight. It can look like a squid, a UFO, a tool box, a statue of Venus, whatever blows your hair back.

I think of reflectors and lenses as being good to narrow your beam and give it more throw. If you just want broad area lighting, a hemisphere* of light rather than a beam, you can consider skipping them.

I would suggest a couple of switches and a couple of circuits in parallel:

You turn on the lowest setting and it gives you a few little 5 mm LEDs, just enough so you can find the light easy and use it for a nightlight while you are sleeping in a pitch dark place. On that setting the seven amp hour battery might last for a week or two.

The next switch would turn on the medium lights. Lets say about nine one-watt luxeons with no reflectors or lenses, just a diffuser. This would light a room enough to walk around, see colors, you could probably read comfortably next to it.

The third switch would be your high setting. If you need throw, this would be the one with throw, you would give the LEDs reflectors or lenses to make them more directional. three-watt LEDs might work good, or simply more one-watt LEDs. You would use the high setting for field surgery, guiding in helicopters, that kind of thing.

One way to dodge the whole resistors/circuits/math issue is to look for LEDs that are sold for automotive use. They will be ready for 12 volts DC straight out of the box.

I might be able to come up with a picture or two of something similar, I'll see if I can find anything.

greenLED

Flashaholic
what type of emergency are you thinking? It might be worthwhile settling on long runtime if you expect a long time without power, for example.

sparkplug

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I will look into the automotive parts for some leds, and hardware for a box with handle. I am thinking of using several 18,000 mcd super whites in a home built box with resistors and just an on/off switch to begin with. Area lighting is what I need if we loose power again this winter for 9 days. I am building some low tech type 9 volt boy scout lights in a film canister to use in place of candles. We want at least one good light to use for reading, and I have this extra 12 volt battery that needs to be put to good use. I hope that it can be recharged on my auto if needed. I want to keep this light low tech to begin with and as I learn I can always modify it to 1 watt or higher. How many mcd's are required to equal 1 watt? Thanks again for your help.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
>Thanks for the info, I will look into the automotive parts for
>some leds, and hardware for a box with handle.

Second thoughts about that. Some auto LEDs use resistors to lower the power to usable levels. The resistor will turn some elect. into heat. You want to avoid that, you don't have a whole car to generate power for you.

>I am thinking of using several 18,000 mcd super whites in a home
>built box with resistors and just an on/off switch to begin with.

A bunch of them in an array should give nice area lighting. You might mix in a few yellows to make the light "cheerier". If you can string them in series and avoid using resistors you'll get more light and less heat. I do this by putting enough of them in a row that they are somewhat underdriven. Leds tend to put out even more mcd/watt when they are driven lightly.

>Area lighting is what I need if we loose power again this winter for
>9 days. I am building some low tech type 9 volt boy scout lights in a
>film canister to use in place of candles.

D cell batteries are hard to beat for power density, will probably outlast nines. LEDs sound well suited to your needs.

>We want at least one good light to use for reading, and I have
>this extra 12 volt battery that needs to be put to good use.

You've found the use.

I hope that it can be recharged on my auto if needed.

Just plug it into the cigarette lighter while you drive. Leave the LEDs off while you do this because the power in a car fluctuates, could overdrive them.

>How many mcd's are required to equal 1 watt? Thanks again for your help.

Watts are a measure of electrical power. mcd's are millicandles, a measure of light. The two measure different things. How many mcd's you can get out of a watt depends on what equipment you run the power through.

A one-hundred watt incandescent bulb will produce about 1,700 lumens, or 17 lumens per watt. My one-watt LEDs (Flickr link) produce around 20 or so lumens per watt. I don't know how to convert between mcd and lumens, except that mcd are a smaller amount of light.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
goto ebay and # 8726598371
that lantern is bright and last 40 hours for one bulb or 20 hours for two.
good for Emergency Light.
or goto home depot, only $12.99