Rock River 3 button cell keychain light

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Target the other night picking up a Brinkman LED Headlamp for my father for his birthday since he liked mine, and one for my wife for the same reason for a stocking stuffer when I spied the tiny Rock River 3 button cell keychain led light.

I had planned to buy my wife some flowers, to help bolster her feelings since she was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease last week. Spying the little light for only $5 I grabbed it when plan formed in my head on how ot use it with giving the flowers. My wife was also out anf about shopping and I knew where here van was so I went and bought the flowers and slipped into her van. I hung the light from the keychain to her rearview mirror, shining down onto the flowers, with a card reading "You are the light of my life".

Anyways, this is one bright little light that takes up NO space hardly at all. And at $5 you dont mind grabbing a few to toss in places that might need some light unexpectedly. My wife will keep hers hooked to her nursing id for work to back up her Inova X5 I got her for power outage use, which happens frequently in this area.

GrooveRite

Enlightened
I just bought one myself for $5.99. There were actually 2 different styles. One was aluminum/chrome finish (which i purchased) peanut shaped and the other was even smaller in black but looked plastic to me. I purchased the peanut looking one because it looked more sturdier and durable for a keychain light. They are both made by River Rock and both have Nicha CS led bulbs. Pretty bright for its size. I also saw a brinkman 9 LED flashlight there that i almost purchased. Anyone have this and can comment on it??

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one of these at Target on hearing a there were supposedly some low priced lights at the southcenter store. They were out of stock. I figured I had a chance on this since it was the day after it was announced. Anyway i went home with this and i kinda like it. it's way overbuilt for what it is and the lens reminds me of those slow kids with thick glasses eating paste. Nice shiny little thing and i hear that hearing-aid batteries are tax free.

3buttoncell.jpg

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the hourglass shaped ones and it is impresively bright... definately brighter than the Infinity Ultra but the beam isn't as wide or as smooth.

I didn't buy one of the smaller one like carbine15 shows though I have one that looks exactly the same but has Browning markings and colors. It definately dones't have a CS (the Browning one, I mean) and I think it's the dimmest light I own.

Sounds like I might need to pick up one of these as well...
Christo_pull_hair.gif

Here's the one I bought followed by a beamshot - the River Rock is on the left, my brightest Infinity Ultra is on the right.

IMG_1668a.JPG

IMG_1674a.jpg

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the post. I was wondering about the smaller River Rock Keychain light. I've seen the hourglass/peanut shaped one. (By the way the hourglass shaped one comes in 2 colors, Silver and a subtle pinkish hued silver) So look carefully before you buy.

The smaller RR comes in black and silver. It does look like the Browning, but I suspect it has the Nichia LED that others with similar bodies don't.

River Rock Keychain flashlights...

CES10615_LG.JPG

Browning Keychain light...
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/A-02-F-02/3713341

Surplus Computers...
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=ItemDetail&item=CES10615

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the hourglass lights come in either a subtle pink or subtle light blue, not really silver.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
dehnehsu said:
The smaller RR comes in black and silver. It does look like the Browning, but I suspect it has the Nichia LED that others with similar bodies don't.
Yes, they do use a Nichia LED. It says that on the front of the packaging.

dehnehsu said:
River Rock Keychain flashlights...

CES10615_LG.JPG
I went to Target and got the one like above, but with the anodized aluminum finish. It does not have the checkered grip like the one above.
I tested it out and although it was bright, it was somewhat of a disappointment in that it did not have an even/smooth beam.

I'm not sure if I should keep the keychain light, or return it and pay a few bucks more for another River Rock 2 AAA (already have one, and was quite satisfied with it), or maybe even consider a River Rock 2 C?

Last edited:

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info on this little flashlight. All my questions were answered about it. I already have the Inova Keychain light which works just fine.

SuperNinja, I meant I think the Browning or $2.99 Surplus Computer clone doesn't have a Nichia in it. Only the the River Rock does.

Last edited:

JOEGREEN

Newly Enlightened
SuperNinja,

I put a small piece of Glad Cling Wrap over the lens, and it smoothed out the beam. It works okay as a keychain light, and you can't beat the price.