info wanted - solitaire luxeon mods

teststrips

Enlightened
Seen several people show off their luxeon mods based on solitaire bodies - wanted info on what they did to drive/heatsink the 1 watt led. Was also curious if there was a kit that could be purchased

I'm currently driving a 5mm led with a resistor and an AAA sized li-ion (from cpf user AW), which is awesome for runtime, but sux for brightness.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Lambda sells a "micro-pill" (name?) kit. It requires fine soldering skills and you'll need to bore the body a bit, IIRC.

A filed-down penny (pre 1972 -more Cu content) works well as heatsink.

LED_ASAP is the master of these mods; PM him.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
teststrips said:
I'm currently driving a 5mm led with a resistor and an AAA sized li-ion (from cpf user AW), which is awesome for runtime, but sux for brightness.

I don't understand the purpose of the resistor.

I'm running a 35k mcd 5mm with the same battery as you but no resistor. I'm pleased with the light mine puts out. Very nice flood for walking around in the dark.

teststrips

Enlightened
JimH said:
I don't understand the purpose of the resistor.

Resistor was added after 2 leds went belly up... the Li-ion was simply overdriving the 26k and killing it after ~15 hours. Now that the resistor was added, I have a whiter output (vs blue) and have had ~50 hours without any problems.

Thanks, I'll contact lambada and LED_ASAP