Straw Poll - How many takers for a new LSH-P/LSL-P?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneRanger4404

Newly Enlightened
All this talk of a new Arc Luxeon got me thinking that there must still be a market for the old ones, that is to say the much loved, much missed LS. I for one would have another, if only because my 100% reliable "Old faithfull" LSHF-P is starting to look a bit tired and "battle scarred", for want of a better phrase.

Who knows, I might be wrong, but just as a straw poll (maybe for Peters info, if he's watching), if the LSH/L were to make a comeback, how many of us would buy another?

paulr

Flashaholic
Not me. The LSH/LSL were great lights in their day but time has marched on. It would be like buying a new Apple II. I'd like to see a new high-powered Arc but Peter should look to lights like the McLux III PD for inspiration, not the old LS's. In particular there should be a two stage pushbutton (like the PD, SF L2, etc) and no computerized weirdness to figure out. Also, the Kroll switch on the LS series never worked well and should not be brought back.

Arc should not embark on any projects like this though until there are plenty of AAA's to go around. The old Arc company got in trouble and went bust because it had too many irons in the fire and couldn't ship Arc AAA's fast enough to meet demand. It should not repeat that mistake.

cy

Flashaholic
the timeless Arc LSH design with twisty still has smallest footprint of any bright LED light with good runtime and throw.

upgraded with Ubin, latest board, so17 reflector, mineral lens, two stage, R123 li-ion, etc. will perform on par with ANY current LED light of simular size.

Arc LS's thin board design has made getting electronics challenging. Here's pic of a promising new thin star board design available from AW for $8. drives Luxeon at 700 milliamps. LDO design will require VIN to exceed vf of lux. so R123 li-ion will be required.

Really looking forward to seeing what Arc will come up with in a luxeon light :D

in the meanwhile the timeless Arc LSH lives on....

lsh firefly fenix.JPG

AMC7135board.JPG

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I wouldn't buy another one; already have two! :D It's a great design, but lately I'm wishing it had a two-stage switch. Other than that, it does all I want it to do.

nightshade

Enlightened
Please NO thin bezel ring designs, like those on the Arc 4 and copies, nothing like buying a $120.00 + flashlight and having a dented bezel with the first little drop. That was a strength of the LSH/L design-a very strong bezel area. NO THIN BEZEL RINGS, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several lights and one of my favorites is the LSH-P with a twisty. The size for me anyway is perfect and with a upgraded LED and a means for multi level output you would have a perfect light if you could keep it the same size.

IMG_0438.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
You know, as much as I am partial to clickies, I'm liking my LS with twisy more and more. It just doesn't get smaller than that (and mine's still stock too! -quite happy with it).

XFlash

Enlightened
I'd buy one. I bought one awhile back with 123 body and 2xAA body, and both are 2 stage with clicky, has 667 light eng with reflector, could't ask for any better.
:devil:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it has the best form factor for any LED light for it's battery size. I really miss the compactness and no-moving-parts reliability of the old crush-your-battery-if-you-want front twisty design. Wish the 1AA Fenix and the Nuwai TYM-313X both came that way. It even ought to be cheaper to manufacture than the current clickies.

cy

Flashaholic
not much disagreement with Arc LSH w/twisty's footprint being extremely small. And performance of Modded LSH can be good as ANY current light of simular size.

Arc LSH w/twisty has been needing a two stage switch for some time. A working proto of a two stage twisty has been done for almost a year. Twisty needs to be milled flat then drilled/tapped to accept stainless screw.

Last edited:

wmirag

Enlightened
cy said:
not much disagreement with Arc LSH w/twisty's footprint being extremely small. And performance of Modded LSH can be good as ANY current light of simular size.

Arc LSH w/twisty has been needing a two stage switch for some time. A working proto of a two stage twisty has been done for almost a year. Twisty needs to be milled flat then drilled/tapped to accept stainless screw.

Where can I get one and what does it cost? I had an upgrade to my LS last year including a 3W LED, a new lense, and a power increase. This made my LS a "top shelf" light again. I'd love to buy a twisty that has been modded with a dependable two stage switch.

cy

Flashaholic
I can custom mill out a twisty to accept a two stage switch.

Sorry but only doing machining and HA for parts I've already have on hand. Having trouble keeping tracking of plain ole selling and shipping :D

wayne has been out of two stage switchs for some time.
he posted an improvement but have not release new switch.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'd buy one, but not at a $100 price.

I feel that the original arc with a twistie is more like a $40-50 item.

I am highly confident that arc will never make one though.

greenLED

Flashaholic
wow, CY, that looks promising; that's what I was thinking about. I'm guessing there's not much room for error while milling the twisty (I'm thinking it gets pretty close to the split-ring attachment).

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
nightshade said:
Please NO thin bezel ring designs, like those on the Arc 4 and copies, nothing like buying a $120.00 + flashlight and having a dented bezel with the first little drop. That was a strength of the LSH/L design-a very strong bezel area. NO THIN BEZEL RINGS, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-
the thick bezel is what has saved my edc ls from drop damage.
i did lose one to an electrical failure possibly caused by being close to a large 440 3 ph transformer in a walter surface grinder i was working on.
the ls i edc has lots of bezel dings from all the drops but no deformation.
a lot of minimags died in this service over the years but the ls keeps going.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
CY

Depending on price I might be interested in one of your anodized twisty if I can get the two stage switch. I might just do a complete work over on my LS and also replace the LED as well.

cy

Flashaholic
will post when two stage twisties are ready:D

too easy to get in trouble promising things...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.