ArmyTek        
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mini-HID

Default Mini-HID

I may do a small run of the Mini-HID. Prices would be $240

It would include

Mag2d Cut down and bored to accept the WA 10 Watt Solarc system. Light is just under 7" overall length. Your color choice of available colors.

Stock reflector cutdown and modified

Modified Tailcap with switch installed

Modamag's 4aa-1d modified for 2x2 cr123's

I would need a 50% deposit before lights are made. Turn around time would typically be under a week.

Current Status

Currently 7 lights have deposits, that leaves 1 remaining on the first set of ballasts.

So far on the list is

Morpheus.............Black Mini-HID + LOP + UCL (Paid in Full)
    Catch228.............Black Mini-HID + LOP + UCL (Paid in full)
    DFiorentino...........Black Mini-HID + UCL (Paid in Full)
    Rdavid.................Black Mini-HID (Deposit Received)
    Free....................Pewter Mini-HID + LOP + UCL (Paid in Full)
    Marcdilnutt...........Pewter Mini-HID + SMO + UCL (Paid in Full)
    devm635csi..........Pewter Mini-HID + LOP + UCL(Payed in Full)
    Nirad...................Pewter Mini-HID + LOP (Paid In Full)

Here is one of the units already completed. It's the middle one the outside lights are stock.

Last edited by cmacclel; 12-04-2005 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Updated Paid Status

Evilgrin07 Re: Mini-HID

I MAY be interested in one. It all depend on timing and how depleted my wallet is from holiday shopping.

Eh, who am I kidding, that doesn't really matter! I'll end up saying yes even if I have to go without gas and electric for the rest of the year.

Just curious though, I wound how this would perform on protected RCR123's? In either the 3.0v or 3.6v variety.
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

Default Re: Mini-HID

As I remember the Rechargeable 123's are only 650Mah so the runtime would be only around a half hour. Also the RCR123's would need to be rated at 2c minimum.

Mac

Nice,

I am a little curious about why you chose the stock reflector,will it not melt?
    Are there any of the Aluminum reflectors that will fit this light?
    I am also very interested in knowing which Bulb socket you are using.
    There is a new one out that Waterfish uses in his MagHID which holds the
    bulb in place better.I think it has a rubber feel to it.
    And finally...
    What is the max Voltage for this light?

Thanks,
    Benny
    Last edited by MorpheusT1; 11-21-2005 at 05:44 PM.

Do you have any beam shots ?
    He who laughs last, thinks slowest

Ditto about the reflector...

but DEFINITALY interested

As I recall reading the original Mini-HID threads I remember they offered the Mini-HID with the stock reflector and the aluminum was an option. My price point of this light at $240 was to offer it cheaper than all the other sales. If you want to upgrade to an aluminum reflector you just unscrew the bezel and replace it. It's very easy. Also this limits the parts I need to purchase up front. 10 reflectors and 10 pieces of UCL lenses is an extra $300 up front. These 2 items are easily purchased if you prefer them. I can supply them if needed. As for the bulb socket it would be the newer style.

As for beamshots

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=439

Thats all I could fine but there where many impressive beamshots. As for reference the Mini-HID produced 52,600cd and the surefire 10x produced 24,000cd. The MiniHID has an intense corona with decent side spill. The lamp is a rated at 500 lumens. The only thing we had to compare it to last night in the same league was a Tigerlight.....the Mini stomped it into the ground. It was lighter and had more runtime. Though the tigerlight is built like a tank!

Runtime Plot Red is Direct Drive Blue was a custom regulated holder.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=711

Mac
    Last edited by cmacclel; 11-21-2005 at 08:29 PM.

Enlightened

Thumbs up Re: Mini-HID

I would be in for one.

Also, an aluminum reflector if the stock one will melt.

that price is for bulb and all right?

Couple-a-questions:

Will a 10 watt HID lamp generate enough heat to melt the stock reflector?

Does an HID lamp have a smaller light emitting source than a WA bulb? (A smaller emiter source means the beam can be focused and throw farther).
    "And these three remain: faith, hope, and love. The greatest of these is love."

Love /verb/: Giving what is needed to those who need it because you care

Quote Originally Posted by nemul
    that price is for bulb and all right?

Yes a completed unit.

Chris

What kind of time frame are we looking at? From pre-payment to completion. Just a ballpark estimate.

-DF

Oh, and personally I'm fine with the lower price as I have spare UCL's, Borofloats, and aluminum reflectors.
    Last edited by DFiorentino; 11-21-2005 at 08:59 PM.
    KineticParadox ...a personal web space with my CBA Battery Testing and my LED Bin Coding Charts.

I will call Welch Allyen tomorrow morning. Last time I spoke with them all the parts where in stock. I will update the thread tomorrow morning. If all the parts are in stock I should be able to ship them possibly next week. It depends on when Modamag can supply me with a few CR123 holders....He's a busy guy and expecting a baby any day now!!

Mac

I am interested. This will run on both rechargeable 123's and non rechargeable? What forms of payment will you accept? How soon will you want the deposit?

Quote Originally Posted by Free
    I am interested. This will run on both rechargeable 123's and non rechargeable? What forms of payment will you accept? How soon will you want the deposit?

I'm not sure on the RCR123's but you should be fine with the 3.0v RCR123's as with the voltage drop they should be under the 11.5v max you want to supply the ballast. As for payment options I'm flexable pretty much anything goes. As for the deposit I would like to let this thread run a few more days to see how many people are interested. If you want the light ASAP like yesterday then PM me and I'll se what I can do

Mac

Lightbulb Re: Mini-HID

I am very interested. Count me in for one.

I do have a few questions though;
    Can you focus this light?
    What type of switch does this light use

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RDavid
    I am very interested. Count me in for one.

I do have a few questions though;
    Can you focus this light?
    What type of switch does this light use

Thanks.

Yes Fully focusable
    This light uses a custom tailswitch rated at 3amps

Mac

Flashaholic*

I'm in for one
    Too many lights and one angry A$$ wife!

Nice light! My compliments!

As to using RCR 123s, if the batt holder is series then you can use 3x R123s and a dummy cell to run the ballast nicely. I have a Waterfish/UFOKillerz MagHID that uses the Welch Allyn -008 (lower voltage spec) ballast and have driven it without any problem with 3x R123s. Runtime will be shorter, approx 25-30 minutes, than 4x CR123 but for those a bit on the daring side there is an overdrive to the ballast which makes it noticeably brighter (11-11.5 Watt).

I've run more than 10 cycles of this batery combo and not a problem. Welch Allyn says, just like incans, overdrive will cost you ultimate longevity traded for increased brightness. If you like the convenience of rechargeables or are looking to push the envelope of what a 10W HID can do then the RCRs are the way to go.

3.0V RCR123s I have not tried yet but I believe they have even less capacity in mAh (even less runtime) than 3.7V even though you can use 4 instead of 3. Better off running primaries then.

The 10W HID setup is very sweet, fitting it into a 1D formfactor makes it even sweeter. Again, great work!
    LIGHT TRAVELS AT 186282.397 MILES PER SECOND... ANY FASTER WOULD BE DANGEROUS

I'd like one, but I need to check the bank. :P I just blew some money on another purchase... damn. If I had known this one was coming, I'd have put it off to get this...

Thanks for the Info Lunarmodule. I'm using the same 10.2v ballast as the Silverlegacy / UfoKillerz light. Many members are slightly overdriving this ballast at 11.5volts. Actually BatterySpace lists the RCR123 3.0volt batteries at 680mah and the 3.7 volt ones at 650mah.

Mac
    Last edited by cmacclel; 11-22-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Flashaholic

Sounds good, i am interested. Did you say it was going to be around $240? Let me know when you open the list.
    marc

I am in for one with the Aluminum reflector and UCL lens. The talk about the stock parts melting worries me.

Naughty Re: Mini-HID

Quote Originally Posted by cmacclel
    Thanks for the Info Lunarmodule. I'm using the same 10.2v ballast as the Silverlegacy / UfoKillerz light. Many members are slightly overdriving this ballast at 11.5volts. Actually BatterySpace lists the RCR123 3.0volt batteries at 680mah and the 3.7 volt ones at 650mah.

Mac
    Glad to promote any HID effort! Actually I'm getting around 40-45 minutes now with 800 mAh R123s (from Lighthound). Most protected R123 are either 750mAh (premium ones) or 650 (not so good - much more restrictive on current capability). The good news is the WA ballast is so efficient it only draws between 950mA-1.1A with absolutely no high current surge in the beginning. When overdriven to 11 Watts (with 3 R123s) you can see a difference in brightness. Actually 11.5 Volts (also Watts since nominal current is 1A) is about the upper safe limit, I think 11.7 is spec for max V on that ballast. 680 mAh sounds pretty good for the 3.0V cells, the unknown element is how aggressive their protection circuitry is. Not too big an issue since with HID we're making ~450 bulb lumens with a lone amp of current. I have no direct experience with the 3.0V cells, but I can heartily recommend the 3x 3.7V R123 solution (plus dummy). Major thumbs up on doing a small run, all the best to you!

Hmm since 45 minutes isn't to shabby maybe I'll offer a inline 3 cell R123 version. It would be probably $10 cheaper without the CR123 holder. It would only be a tad londer also.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Free
    I am in for one with the Aluminum reflector and UCL lens. The talk about the stock parts melting worries me.
    Worry not, fine sir! My MagHID is run continuously most of the time and after 30 minutes of operation the head is only warm to the touch, not hot, and can be gripped safely. Thats the heat level dissipated through the head, not any cause for concern. True there is significant heat compared to a stock Mag but far less than a screaming incan bulb. I have an Elektrolumens ELX-6 that gets too hot to hold after 20 minutes at full tilt boogie, thats LED generating that much heat! The MagHID (very similar setup - same ballast/bulb) runs mildly by comparison. Its best to have an alum reflector and UCL lens for max light transmission and needless "greenhousing" of infrared produced by the bulb, but its not like a 50W incan that can turn a stock lens to liquid form in a very short time.

The coolest part about this light is its size and focusability. When set to a tight spot, the intensity and range is visually stunning to behold to those who have never seen HID in a flashlight. Its a lot of FUN, IMHO. And practical.

So when does production start? I'd like to get my hands on one of these

Flashaholic

Same here, i want one!!!!

I Just placed the Ballast & Lamp order. I will have 8 pieces here early next week. Anyone who wants a light can paypal me a deposit of $100 with your color choices and options preferred. As for colors I see no problem getting the standard colors, which in my area are Black, Pewter, Bronze, Silver, and Blue.

Options are

Aluminum reflector in either
    LOP(Light Orange peelmore diffused smooth beam shape)
    Smooth (Best Throw) additional $21

UCL Glass Lens $8 each

Paypal address is cmacclel@comcast.net (if using a CC please add 3%)

I will have to order the 4xCR123 battery holders from modamag. If your interested in the rechargeable 3x R123 option Lunarmodule is running I can look into that also. The light would be slightly longer with around 45 minutes of runtime according to Lunarmodule. Lighthound sells 3 unprotected 800mah RCR123's with charger for under $30.

I can complete 2 lights per day after the parts arrive.

Mac

paypal sent

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast