L1P Review on Flashlightreviews.com - when?

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know when the L1P will be reviewed on flashlightreviews.com?

The site says 11/1, so hopefully it'll be out soon.

I'd just like to be able to compare the output against the other lights I have that have already been reviewed on the site.

Thanks,
Jeremy

onthebeam

Enlightened
I hope he gets one with a good switch! If so, it should do well. If the switch is bad, the rating would seriously suffer, I'm afraid. Doug seems to really like regulated lights. Since the Fenix is semi regulated, it would be great it he did his runtime plot with a typical AA, and then with a Lithium AA, or a NiMH, too. The lithium really smooths out the curve, making for one of the most impressive one battery AA runtimes I've seen.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's been doing about one a week so it'll probably be out in about three weeks... unless you has mercy on all of us and bumps the two lights in front of it...

Hint hint!
rolleye11.gif

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered one and am awaiting its arrival!I am looking forward to the review! I enjoyed the review of the TerraLux chrome star AA LED. I carry one currently and the candid assessment led me to the FENIX 1L P and possibly the PEAK Carribean.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoors Fanatic said:
I still think the regulation looks like crap for a supposedly "premium" flashlight.
That's what keeping the green paper in my wallet. Had it been fully regulated for say $20 more I would have given in.

x2x3x2

Banned
Outdoors Fanatic said:
I still think the regulation looks like crap for a supposedly "premium" flashlight.
i dont think its fair to compare output regulation charts in this manner. did the reviewer use the same same kind of batteries for all his reviews? maybe is was just any alkaline he found around, different brands have different efficeincy. such as eveready vs duracell vs energizer.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 said:
i dont think its fair to compare output regulation charts in this manner. did the reviewer use the same same kind of batteries for all his reviews? maybe is was just any alkaline he found around, different brands have different efficeincy. such as eveready vs duracell vs energizer.
I would be very surprised if Doug at Flashlightreviews.com just throws in any old alkaline that's lying around.

Several others here did runtime charts using lithiums and NiMH cells which produced a better regulation curve. For my money I want good regulation from alkaline.

Last edited:

lamperich

Enlightened
LowBat said:
For my money I want good regulation from alkaline.

it´s not fair comparing LR vs Lithium and NiMH batteries in high current applications!

take a look at this test... http://www.ife.ee.ethz.ch/~zinniker/batak/ideal/all600small.gif
it´s only 600mA constant current discharge.

http://www.ife.ee.ethz.ch/~zinniker/batak/ideal/all120small.gif

this torchs drain more than 1A!!!
one of the reasons why Cr123a are so popular.

also interessting to read is this datasheet.
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.do?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1094,P10995

lamperich

Enlightened
and if you think NiMH are better than take a look on this two Voltage vs Time plots @ 1Ohm.
http://home.arcor.de/bitjuggler/67a05.gif
http://home.arcor.de/bitjuggler/67a31.gif

you won´t believe i but the guy you did this plots said this was the same cell only 8 month later
icon10.gif

This little one cell (1,5V) torchs are designed for a very small U (in).
it´s also like waking on a razorblade. IT WORKS
e055.gif

bad &dirty connections are also a problem. it´s mentioned in the datasheet, too

When i was new to led torchs i had the same wishes.
p026.gif

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Outdoors Fanatic said:
...the regulation looks like crap for a supposedly "premium" flashlight.

:laughing: That's because the Fenix L1P is not current regulated, but voltage regulated. Any voltage regulated curve will look like that; you can't really make a fair comparison between these two types of regulation circuits and their discharge rates because they're inherently different.

OTOH, if you use a NiMH battery in the Fenix L1P, you'll get a much flatter discharge curve, but that's more a function of battery chemistry...

lowbatt said:
For my money I want good regulation from alkaline.
Then you'll have to settle with lower output currents or shorter runtimes.

Again, I feel like you guys are expecting a current-regulated output from a voltage-regulated circuit. That's just not going to happen.:nana:

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lamperich, I'm not 100% sure what you're getting at... Are you insinuating that Doug is deliberatly trying to make the Fenix look bad, yet still giving it a 5 star rating?
thinking.gif

It is entirely fair to compare AA cell lights to 123 cell lights... they compete for the same market, why shouldn' they be compared? My modded-Q3 is brighter than my Fenixes yet I carry the Fenix more often due to smaller diameter.

paulr

Flashaholic
I certainly felt that 5 stars was a bit much. The Fenix is certainly 5 stars in value for money, but in absolute quality terms, comparing the finish/packaging/design to a 5 star light like an Arc or Surefire, the Fenix is 4 stars.

lamperich

Enlightened
@ cratz2

you are right if you see the things from the consumer side.

what the consumer want and what is technical possible are to different things!
you cannot compare 1,5V vs. 3 V driven torchs!

i think cr123a powerded torchs will always have the better regulation...
that´s what iam talking about.

you expect too much from that energy sources (Lr6 L91 NimH) and don´t forget the carbon zinc Batterie ! They are totaly different...

Last edited: