Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer vs SL 3c ProPolymer

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
I just bought 2 Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon lights and they are much brighter than I expected. Very amazing light. I was wondering if the PP 3c Lux light is any brighter or different in its beam. I see that it is rated to run a little longer but is there any other differences? I am considering buying a couple more and don't know if there is any point in buying the bigger light. They are both rated at 40 Lumens output. Anyone do a comparison?

Grubbster

Enlightened
I have both and I like them both. The 4AA is smaller and can run on lithium cells to get about the same runtime as the 3C. The 3C us nice also because it has a long runtime on alkalines and is just a little brighter because its reflector is just a bit larger. As always, get both!

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I own 2 of each and they are very predictable lights. The SLPP4AA has a little bit wider central beam and a little more sidespill than the 3C, The 3C's center hotspot is a little smaller and therefore throws a little further with less sidespill, I would assume total light output to be about the same with the run time being substantialy lomger on the 3C, they both are great lights, I find myself using the 4AA more indoors and the 3C more outdoors, hope this helps.

jtice

Flashaholic
Heres some shots I did.

I had the 3C first, and was just slightly disapointed in the beam of the 4AA when I got it.
I was expecting a tight beam like the 3C,
the 4AA has a halo around the hotspot, that I have later learned to like.
Makes it more useful for cloe to medium ranges.
I compared it to my Surefire U2 the other day,
and the 4AA outthrew the U2, granted, the U2 was Way more overal light.

Sreamlight_4AA_and_3C_Luxeons.sized.jpg

Sreamlight_4AA_and_3C_Luxeons_2.jpg

~John

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey John, what was the distance from the wall on those lower beam shots? Looks like a foot or two?

Those beams look fantastic. I thought the spot would be tiny, but it looks to be medium--which is my favorite type.

Great beamshots!

Bob

jtice

Flashaholic
Bob,
The first ones were 2 to 3 feet,
the second batch was only alittle over 1 foot.

The 4AAs spot is about the same size as the 3Cs,
but the 4AA has a corona around that spot,
the 3C is just spot and spill.

~John

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, John.

The hotspot is not as small as I thought...damn...gotta save the pennies for one!

Bob

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered 2 of the 4AA Luxeons in black a couple of days ago, can't wait till I get them! I got 2 of them because I'm giving one to my dad for Christmas. He got a job in maintenance for a Seniors condo they're building downtown, which will be done in January or Febuary. Its' a perfect light for him. Indestructible LED that of course doesn't burn out or fade. Tough Polymer housing in case he drops it. Takes the common AAs' so they'll be easy for him to find. Non-conductive in case hes' working on something electrical. Good runtime, even better with lithiums. And of course its plenty bright, even for blinding an aggressor should the need arise (God forbid). I think he'll get alot of use out of it.

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although I have no beef with the 3C, to me, the 4AA is where it's at if you're going to get one of these lights. The output just isn't that appreciably different, but the 4AA has more versatility in accepting lithiums, nimh and alks, all with good effect. And, it's smaller, lighter and less expensive. The 3C doesn't get a massive improvement in runtime, and the 4AA runtime, even on alks, is so long to begin with, I don't see the tradeoffs as worth it. IMHO.

jeremycollins

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots, John. Based on those, I'm going to be ordering more 4AA's instead of the 3C I've been eyeing!

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone that replied! I learned a lot. I am going to order 2 more PP 4AA Lux as gifts and 1 PP Lux 3C for me! This way I will have both the 4AA and 3C PP lux to see the differences first hand. Since it gets dark up here in the wilds of Northcentral PA at about 5PM, I'll have plenty of time to check out the lights. From the info I read in a few of the posts, I get the impression that its not harmful to use AA lithium and rechargable NMH batteries in the Streamlight Propolymer 4 AA Lux light. Has anyone had any problems using these alternate batteries? Has anyone tried?

MrMom

Enlightened
I recently ordered 20, yes 20 4AA luxes. Roughly half of them have the corona.

Lux readings in the models WITHOUT the corona were in the 2500 range.

Lux readings in the models WITH the corona were in the 2000 range.

Both groups were equally bright putting out the same overall amount of light. The lumen value in the corona lights is lower because the light is simply spread out over a wider area.

The corona is simply a function of focus variations and beer tastes. :laughing:

MrMom

Enlightened
I sold them at cost to co-workerd and friends. Shipping costs are spread out over many. The lights sold as fast as I received them. Most of the folks that I sold them to let me take a lux reading. I have one opened 4-AA left for me and a sealed one for my daughter.

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
How about this for fast. I ordered my 2 SL PP Lux 4AA and SL PP Lux 3c on the 21st of Nov. and they arrived today! Now the bad news- the 3c light was not in the package- back ordered 7 to 10 days. Guess I have to wait for a while to do the comparison test. Can't wait to try it out. I'm going to also put it up against my Energizer DB 6AA which can really throw a tight beam a long way. Should be interesting.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
lingpau said:
Thanks to everyone that replied! I learned a lot. I am going to order 2 more PP 4AA Lux as gifts and 1 PP Lux 3C for me! This way I will have both the 4AA and 3C PP lux to see the differences first hand. Since it gets dark up here in the wilds of Northcentral PA at about 5PM, I'll have plenty of time to check out the lights. From the info I read in a few of the posts, I get the impression that its not harmful to use AA lithium and rechargable NMH batteries in the Streamlight Propolymer 4 AA Lux light. Has anyone had any problems using these alternate batteries? Has anyone tried?

Ken

Lithium an NiMH cells work just fine in the 4AA, no problems with NiMH in the 3C also :)

Later
Kelly