L1 or KL1 whatever it is it quit working- HELP

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I bought an old model Surefire LED head with a green LED here on the forums a while back. It had the same flood type optics as the original KL1. I put it on an E2E body and it worked fine for a few weeks. Then it stopped working. I sent it back to Surefire. They replaced it with a newer model head with an optic like the new model KL1. It would throw like crazy. It looks exactly like a KL1 except it is about 1/16" shorter. I again put it on an E2E body. I also used it on an E1E sometimes and it worked fine also. Anyway, it stopped working so I called Surefire and got Trevor on the phone. I explained to him what happened and had me do some trouble shooting by using a key to ground the battery to the body back where the tailcap goes. During the trouble shooting he discovered that I was using an E2E body and he told me that the L1 head would not work on the E2E body. I told him it worked fine until it stopped. He said the L1 body has a "power module" in the body that the L1 head required to work. I thought the body was just an aluminum tube and all the brains were in the head. He said "no", the L1 head must be used only on a L1 body. The he proceeded to tell me that I didn't know what I had. I told him I knew exactly what I had and asked to talk to technical support. He said he was technical support. I asked for PK. Trevor then suggested that I send some email photos of the head so he can figure out what it is that I have like I don't know an L1 head from shinola. Does the L1 body really have a power module in the body? Doesn't the L1 head work on either 3 volts or 6 volts? Could me running the head on an E2E body have burned up the head? Whats the deal here? HELP!!!

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it would like to see 3V. The L1 head (as opposed to a KL1) is a dumb head. It is designed for the L1 flashlight only. The circuitry in the L1 is in the light body/tailcap.

When you put it on an E2 body it obviously sees 6V with no regulation at all. I would guess this is why it works for a short period of time and then quits.

It should work safely on your E1 body although you will not have the regulation and 2 stage output of the L1 light.

For your E2 body you can mount either a KL1 or KL4 head.

Mark

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
Well I'll be darned. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the quick answers to my query. No wonder it was so phreakin bright. I was driving it at 6 volts and it would create shock and awe it was so bright. I was stunned at how bright it was. The throw was incredible for a colored LED. I had made the statement that I would never part with it because I was so impressed and satisfied with it. Now I'm out of luck I guess. How about a green KL1? Is there such thing? I used the green light a LOT.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think KL1's were ever factory produced in colors, although modding one should be quite doable.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoghead said:
The KL1 was made with white, red, green & blue Luxeons. You might be able to find one.

Hoghead-
Were they Gen 1 KL1's? I have never seen them. I sure would like to get a few. I have a number of bodies waiting.

Mark

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I'm not sure where you can get them. You might try running an add in B/S/T or doing a google search.

I have a red KL1 and red L1. Both are the older version with NX05 optics. The L1 was also made with white, red, green & blue Luxeons.

There were also some Hard Anodized Black L1s made with red or white Luxeons. I don't know if there were any black L1s with green or blue Luxeons.

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
Trevor called me today from Surefire. He explained about the difference between the L1 circuitry and the KL1. I realize now that I screwed up the unit by putting it on a 6 volt body. Instead of trying to get it repaired or modded I just listed it on eBay with a $.01 starting bid. I'm sure someone will buy it and do something with it. Trevor also told me the model number of the KL1 with Green LED. I am gonna order one of those.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
nc987 said:
Yeah I got my KL1 in green from these guys:

http://store.kbcamera.com/kl1.html

fast shipping, and I like it alot. I wish Surefire made green filters their flashlights.

Thanks for this link. There were some posts earlier in this thread on the topic of colored KL1's. I had never seen or heard of them and was considering modding a white one.

You won't find them mentioned on SF's sight. Very frustrating when they have things available and then hide their existence. Also. have never seen them listed by any dealers. I would have never found KB camera. They will get some of my business.

I assume it is pretty much of a thrower like the white KL1-same optic. Is the output pretty useful? I would sure love to have an R-G-B set of these. In my experience filters just do not work very well with LEDs.

Mark

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for everyone's info, there is a LOT of stuff that Surefire makes that they don't post on their website. If you are looking for something not listed on their site, call customer service. They are very helpful and can tell you what else they have. I would not use their e-mail, though. I have found their e-mail responses to be very short, not very friendly, and sometimes kind of rude. (IMHO, of course.)