Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Speak 3

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Speak more than 4

Votes: 15 11.3%

• Total voters

greenLED

Flashaholic
Just curious, since CPF is such an international community.

I am fluent in Spanish and English. I can also can also understand written and oral Portuguese (Brazilian); I wouldn't say I speak Portuguese, but I didn't have a hard time communicating while in Brazil.

I can also understand basic written French and Italian. Lost my highschool-level French over the years, pity. Never got past the "Igh drinke beir" (not even sure I spelled it right :laughing:) in German.

Languages I'd really like to speak fluently are Quichua, Portuguese, and French (in no particular order).

Edit to add: How'd you learn any extra languages? Parents, relatives, self-taugh, exchange students, partner, etc.? If you took any classes, any programs you'd recommend?

Last edited:

drizzle

Enlightened
English is my native language and the only one I'm fluent in.

I've been picking up Portuguese over the years with moderate success. I can communicate well one on one with Brazilians but have trouble trying to follow a conversation among Brazilians. My vocabulary is very basic but I have the grammar and pronunciation down pretty well. The latter two are pretty difficult for an English speaker to pick up.

I learned basic German years ago when I was planning to visit my parents there. It seemed to me to be *much* easier to pick up than any of the Romance languages.

Lando

Newly Enlightened
I speak Telly Tubbie ...top that:nana:

english dutch and german still working on french..:wave:

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
English but that depends on what side of the Mason-Dixon Line you fall on "Y'all Hear, I'm still trying to get a handle on CFP'ese that's a tuff one for me it changes daily :crackup:

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Written-
English, American, Malay

Spoken
English, American, Malay, Cantonese, Mandarin

Chinese dialects,
Hakka, Hokkein, Teochew and a few mixes.

Thereis a difference between English and American, being,

English American
metre meter
colour color

and a few more.....

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluent-English, Castellano (Spanish)

Understand-Portugues, most Italiano

Understand some-Icelandic, but I used to actually speak it. 30 years away, and not being a native tongue hurts!!

Know a few words/phrases- Argentine Quechua, French.

Bill

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fluent: English, American, Australian, Canadian (eh?) :D

I can also manage small conversations in German and Spanish.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I am fluent in English, Commodore BASIC V2, and 6502 assembly language. ;)
I haven't written a computer program in assembly in a long time though, so I might be a bit rusty.
But I know what the instructions LDX, STX, SEI, and ROR mean and what they're used for. :thumbsup:

$0800 LDA #00
$0801 STA $D020
$0803 STA $D021
$0805 RTS

When you type SYS2048, what does it do?
HINT: If you know what this little program does, you're like me and you've spent way too much time on a Commodore 64 or a C=128 in C=64 mode. :)

Last edited:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to say that I'm fluent in the language of love, but since I'm still single, that's debatable!! I guess I'll have to stick with English, and the pocito de espanol.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Can read, write and understand Iloko<—Though this isn't my parents native tongue. Other than that, U.S. English is all of what my tongue utters.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Indigenous languages are amazing! I wish I could learn a few of them myself.

I met a Park Ranger at Kruger (South Africa) who spoke 6 African languages, French, and Portuguese, but no English. There was a lot of :huh2:, trying to have a conversation with him in my choppy Brazilian Portuguese.

Sway, I do miss y'all's Suhthern twang! Can't say the same 'bout grits, though :green: :laughing:

Could I add to my question, how'd you learn any extra languages? Parents, relatives, self-taugh, exchange students, partner, etc.?

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
English and Chinese (Cantonese) I took Spanish in High School as well but I'm not that good at it. I do understand a little bit though