Fenix HA-III : works for me!

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I've seen a few posts with people complaining that the HA-III coating of the L1P is not particularly good. Well, at least in my case it's done its job correctly....

The other night I was trying to catch some tadpoles from a pond in my back garden, and had the Fenix in one hand and a metal pasta strainer in the other hand being used as a net. After a lot of attampts I managed a reasonable haul of tadpoles (to give to a friend to start a frog colony in her pond). However when I got inside I noticed that the previously pristine torch had a number of silver marks on it. I assumed that I'd banged the torch against the metal strainer and put holes in the Ha-III coating. Much swearing followed.

Upon closer inspection of the light I noticed that the silver marks were not recessed into the light at all. In fact with a bit of gentle rubbing with steel wool I was actually able to rub them off completely and restore the nice black finish. Obviously the coating was tough enough to scrape the chrome off a kitchen pasta strainer!

Of course I'm not about to try throwing it onto concrete to test out how tough, but the coating is not as fragile as I'd been led to think after some posts on CPF. Maybe I just got a good one :)