1st real mod - nFlex, TV1J, hotlips

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
u can run a LuxV at 700mA and use a MOP reflector for a nice smooth wall of light!

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
Well, thanks to the collective knowledge here, I've succeeded w/ my first real mod. After digesting the answers to my earlier post: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/97815 and doing a little more research, I bit the bullet and went for an nFlex, TV1J, Hotlips, Mag 3D build.

Most of the time was spent modifying the switch to momentary action. The soldering to the nFlex was a bit of a challenge, due to my shakiness, but I got the hang of it.

Once I got everything put back together and fired up, I was initially quite disappointed. No matter how much I messed w/ the menu system, I only seemed to get 2 or 3 dim light levels. Then I remembered that I was using old batteries. I popped in a fresh set and, wow, let there be light! The mag reflector does an amazing job of focusing for throw.

This 1st mod is really an experiment leading up to my ultimate goal of a powerful bar-mounted bike light.

Things I learned from this build:
I CAN handle the soldering necessary for building a bike light.
The Lux III / Mag reflector combo doesn't have as much spill as I'd like.
The nFlex controller is more complicated than I need and would be confusing after no sleep and many many miles of racing.

So, this leads me to my next project. I need more light. Flood'ish, not throw. I'm thinking maybe one Lux V or maybe 3 Lux III's.

I'd like a simpler controller w/ probably 2 levels (high and low). I need flexibility w/ input voltage and regulated output.

I need a way to reduce the package size of the mag body. Maybe cut the body down to a minimum and replace the stock switch w/ a smaller switch. Also, I'll need to build a power jack into the body for external battery packs.

edit: I fogot to mention that I could barely discern a brightness difference between the top 2 levels w/ the nflex. That surprised me and leads me to believe that I may be best off driving whatever led's I use at spec (700ma) and getting a longer runtime.

thanks for any future and past input,
baker

Last edited:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
there are some LOP at the shoppe

a MOP would spread the beam out more... you can PM modamag to see if he has any..

i have a LOP on a WX1S it throws about the same as the stock reflector, so i'm sure a MOP would be better maybe even a HOP. the ones from Modamag work with o-sinks and hotlips...

light-edge has some mop and hop you can contact him the see if they work with o-sink and hotlips..

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
nemul said:
u can run a LuxV at 700mA and use a MOP reflector for a nice smooth wall of light!

Searching CPF, it looks like that is a medium orange peel reflector, right? Where do I buy these and would the hole size fit the hotlips/lux combo by default?

Thanks,
baker

p.s.-looks like the thread order got hosed by me editing initial post after your reply...

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul said:
there are some LOP at the shoppe

a MOP would spread the beam out more... you can PM modamag to see if he has any..

i have a LOP on a WX1S it throws about the same as the stock reflector, so i'm sure a MOP would be better maybe even a HOP. the ones from Modamag work with o-sinks and hotlips...

light-edge has some mop and hop you can contact him the see if they work with o-sink and hotlips..
i dont know why i keep posting over everyone!

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like reflectors are from Light-Edge:
http://www.light-edge.com/

I'm interested, too. I have a Hotlips with a Lux3, and the stock reflector gives a very small hotspot. I'm thinking of trying an xOrangePeel reflector first, before moving to a Luxeon 5. Love the Lux 5 beam in a KL4.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as it's not the special ones made with a smaller hole for hotwires, then it will work if you get a "camless" one.

A tri-luxIII setup is awesome. Plenty of spill (3 luxes, plus the reflectors aren't as deep so a lot of spill goes out) Runtime could be an issue. My 3xNiMH setup runs full brightness for 1hr 45mins before dropping off and needing recharged. You need to look into NiMH cells as they deliver constant power and don't dim much during use, plus saves you $$$ and they can deliver much more current than alkalines can without sagging. My tri-lux setup lights up my whole back yard from front to back evenly- the hotspot lights up the distance, and the spill lights up close range and blends the meduim range into the hotspot perfectly. Really cool.

You might try building a head or enclosure with a heat sink and a few 20mm reflecors. Maybe 2 with 20 and one with a 27mm for a little extra throw. have switches for brigthness/run time selection(to turn on 1,2 or all 3), and a remote mounted battery pack.

BTW: kind of strange that Nemul is the first post of this thread, but he is replying to it... very weird!!!?!??

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
The IMS27mm reflectors have a less tight beam and wider hotspot and wider spill beam than a stock Mag reflector. I've never used one in a Mag, but I've used them in several smaller lights. I'd imagine with a little work, one would be able to make the 27mm work in a larger head.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
louie, if the lux3 is still to tight with teh MOP reflector, then you can use the MOP reflector on a 5 watt, and it should smooth out the slight donut hole you see with the stock mag reflector! Win-win situtation!

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
IsaacHayes said:
louie, if the lux3 is still to tight with teh MOP reflector, then you can use the MOP reflector on a 5 watt, and it should smooth out the slight donut hole you see with the stock mag reflector! Win-win situtation!

Would an LDF lens produce the same effect as an MOP reflector at a lower cost?

baker

bbaker22

Newly Enlightened
I morphed the build into a bike light last night and tonight. It works fairly well, but I'll probably go for a tri luxIII setup for better flood and more light. The mount is a ripoff/mod from a cheapo cateye light. I may put it under the bars in the future. I've tried the light off of a 6V nimh pack and a 14.8 li ion pack. No discernible differences. Here are a couple pics...

LuxIIIa.jpg

LuxIIIb.jpg

The electrical tape seal for the rear cap is temporary. The host mag is ancient, so it already has a lot of "character". The current setup would be fairly sufficient for commuting, but not for racing.

baker

Latest posts