Solitaire LED Drop In ???

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the "Tektite LT-3" the only LED upgrade for the Maglite Solitaire? If it is, how is it overall? I haven't been able to find any reviews of it online.

The reason I ask is because Walmart has Pink Solitaires, and my GF really likes them. I would love to give her one for Christmas, but I refuse to give her just a wimpy little Solitaire.
If there are any other upgrades for the Solitaire, please let me know, and if there aren't, please describe how good/bad the Teklite LT-3 is.

THanks alot

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's pretty much it as far as true drop-ins go. IIRC, the LT-3 has a yellowish (or was it green) corona that people didn't like much. Look for it in the reviews section.

If you want to go the Luxeon route, PM LED_ASAP. I believe he still builds a Luxeon "pill" for the Solitaire.

Another option would be to get her an ArcAAA, or a Fenix L1, but that defeats her color choice a bit (unless you strip and polish the ano to give her a polished Al light).

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
That's pretty much it as far as true drop-ins go. IIRC, the LT-3 has a yellowish (or was it green) corona that people didn't like much. Look for it in the reviews section.

If you want to go the Luxeon route, PM LED_ASAP. I believe he still builds a Luxeon "pill" for the Solitaire.

Another option would be to get her an ArcAAA, or a Fenix L1, but that defeats her color choice a bit (unless you strip and polish the ano to give her a polished Al light).

Thanks for hte help GreenLED. I don't think I will be buying the LT-3 then.

What is a Luxeon "pill"? I have little to no knowledge of modifying flashlights, so anything more than a Drop in is probabley too difficult for me.

The main reason why I want to buy her one of these is because of the color. She has seen my L1P and thinks it is rediciously bright! She is buying me a AAAp for Christmas, so that isn't a good idea.

I was thinking about buying her a pink Minimag because there are tons of Drop in's for that, but I was just making sure that there wasn't something for the Solitaire that I was missing first.

Thanks

greenLED

Flashaholic
No problem. A "pill" is a term we use to describe a small bundle of electronic components that can be stuffed into the body of a light to provide a more or less direct replacement for the original light engine. The bundle is usually small and people cover them in epoxy; the smaller ones look like... well... a pill, thus the name.

In the case of LED_ASAP, he makes a small Luxeon-based pill for the Soli.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Oh man, if you were going to fork out the $$ for the LT-3 and a Solitaire - I'd vote on an ARC AAA Premium - put a Berkeley Point/McGizmo mini-clip on it and it will be soooooo practical and handy all the time!!