Pelican M6 3W vs. 1W

Xe54

Enlightened
Hi:

I just received 3 of Pelican M6 3W 2390 LED lights at my work. Unfortunately one of them doesn't work properly, so I will be getting a replacement from Briteguy (Greg is a very nice fellow).

I had a 1W Pelican M6 LED, so I immediately compared them and was surprized that I could hardly tell the difference in brightness. I thought I would be bowled over by the 75% more lumens of the 3W. The beam shapes are just about the same, and the color of the new lights is slightly purplish white, 6500-8000K looking. The 1W was slightly greenish 4100K looking.

So I shined them at a photodiode from a fixed distance, and on a slow digital scope roll mode (the modern strip chart). The 2390 is clearly putting out 1.75 to 2x the lux as the 1W. I wiggled the lights around so as to be able to record the peak intensity of the beam, which is effectively at the center.

Of course, I don't know actual lumen output, but it is interesting to quantitatively experience how the eye is not very linear when it comes to brightness. The color variation also confuses things.

But the M6 3W is a very satisfying light for the quite fair price.