side emitter popularity???

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I was playing around with a cut down MJ and this little 5mm will make a great spot and spill light using a reflector. I read that the cut down versions are made to act like side emitters and I began reading up on side emitters in 1 and 3 watt versions.
My question is why are the side emitter luxeons not ever seen in any higher power lights with a reflector? I would think that the higher power ones would really do well with a reflector if the little 5 mm ones do such a nice job.
Any one ever try any luxeon side emitters with maybe a 20mm reflector? Just curious why they are never really seen or even talked about much.??

I tried a search however could not get it to work using Luxeon+side emitter as a keyword.
Thanks....

chrisse242

Enlightened
McGizmo made an E2e with a 5W SE, you can see it on this page. I always wanted to try some Side emitter mods, but never found the time to really start.

Chrisse

cy

Flashaholic
the fab PK-1 used an Xbin side emitter.

one of my brightest five watt uses a 5watt side emitter in a Pelican PM6 mod, bored out for 18650

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Cy on your mod did you use the standard PM6 reflector with the side emitter?? If so I have a spare PM6 reflector and may consider a side emitter for a similiar mod.

I know reflectors are hard to focus a 5 watt for much throw in smaller size reflectors however from the photos on McGizmos site it appears his 5 watt side emitter did throw very well when compared to a high dome 5 watt. The beam shots seemed to show a distinct advantage to the side emitter with both using the same reflector.
So with so many advantages is there some reason I am missing as to why these are not used much more than they are? Seems like some of the bigger names would make good use of the side emitter however I never see many in use.

cy

Flashaholic
used std PM6 reflector, 5watt side emitter beam was more flood than another PM6 5watt mod with high dome.

since I use this to ride bikes with. more interested in useble light VS throw

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Early on the SE's were used, especially the LuxV versions. Lately the high dome (lambertion) seems to be used almost exclusively.

I built a Lux1 SE Mag 2D mod for my father earlier this year. Compared to a Lux1 high dome mod, it yielded a wider and brighter hotspot and corona with significantly less side spill. The beam was filled with rings and artifacts, but those could have been cleared up with a LOP reflector or even sputtering the stock reflector.

The Sandwich Shoppe still has plenty of "e-sink" heatsinks that are designed for side emitters used in conjunction with a SureFire e-series head. The beam is supposed to be a smooth semi-flood. Should be a nice mod.

I think the biggest problem lately is the lack of "premium" binned SE's. For example, "R" binned Lux1 and "T" bin Lux3 emitters are extremely rare and none of the common suppliers here on CPF even offer side emitting LuxVs.

It's a shame the side emitters aren't more common. I've always been a little bothered by the amount of light that is lost to "direct spill" when using high dome emitters w/ big reflectors.

Jon

Last edited: