Jetbeam        

Thread: Do you agree Photon Freedom should have the following?

Flashaholic*

Default Do you agree Photon Freedom should have the following?

Some sort of lockout mode where you have to hold the switch down for a certain length of time before the light activates. It doesn't have to be long, even just a tenth or a quarter of a second. I love my Freedom and it compliments my Arc nicely on the keychain as a quick burst light but the dang thing came on again yesterday while residing in the pocket. It usually happens two or three times a year.
    I live in a van down by the river

Default Re: Do you agree Photon Freedom should have the following?

Mine hasn't turned on accidently yet, but then I haven't had it long..
    If it is a concern it is very easy to activate the "momentary" function, just push the button quickly until it no longer stays on, usually about 5 times does the trick, then it will never turn on in your pocket.
    Just one more light and my collection is complete! Ok, maybe two..

Pydpiper's idea with the "momentary" helps, but I still had mine come on and the batteries have ran down... I posted about the same problem before and one of the best ideas was to use the "neck lanyard" that sometimes comes with the light, and use the clipon holder as a protector for the switch.
    Photon should really do something about this....

momentary works nicely for me

on the keychain as a quick burst light
    theres a way to put it back into Demo mode...
    remove batteries, hold the button down, replace batteries...

I just snap the necklace thingy over the switch. When I use the light I snap it to the other side.

Scott

Post Re: Do you agree Photon Freedom should have the following?

YES! I have killed my batteries once so far. With all the wiz-bang programming inside the Freedom just give it a 500 ms delay to turn on.

The momentary trick does work. But, you have to hold it down to take it off so you can use it and then play the clicky game to put it back on.

Besides the expense, the batteries are a PITA to change and of course you have a dead light when you really need it.

Listening Photon?

Mark

I have a Freedom but carry a Photon II instead, because of this issue. I don't think I'd want a turn-on delay. Rather I think the light should just turn itself off after 3 minutes or so. I suggested that to LRI but apparently some other company has a patent on it, which the government should never have issued. The only fix I can think of is to actually mod the Freedom by replacing its microprocessor with a custom programmed one. I haven't checked into whether this is feasible.

Just a note about my 'Doug Ritter' version of the Photon Freedom. I wasn't too happy when it turned on in my pocket twice in the first week I had it. The second time I got up in the night and it was flashing in my pants pocket, so I know the switch was pressed just long enough to go into flashing mode but not long enough to trigger the 'crush' feature that would have turned it off. Anyway, following advice I found on the photon forum I pried out the electronics (pry from the end opposite the led) and sanded off about half the 'nub' on the inside of the case that presses the switch. It's now harder to turn on and at least so far the problem is solved.
    186,000 miles/sec: Not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Banned

I've had the same problem with a Photon III and the battery dieing. Luckily my other Photon III doesn't work right and I have to hold the button in to get it to turn on, which I prefer anyways. My battery hasn't died on this one.

I think everyone has the same problems with these lights, you take them out of your pocket and half the time the thing is on. When you really need it, the battery is dead from being on in your pocket.

I hate how Photon continues to make these lights this way because they are really great except for this glaring HUGE problem.

I dont' think I'll buy another one until they fix this problem. There's no point. No matter how bright they are, they're no good to me dead.
    Last edited by InfidelCastro; 11-25-2005 at 04:50 AM.

Enlightened

Post Re: Do you agree Photon Freedom should have the following?

Quote Originally Posted by nemul
    momentary works nicely for me

theres a way to put it back into Demo mode...
    remove batteries, hold the button down, replace batteries...
    Actually, you don't need to remove the batteries to do this, just hold down the button for about 20 seconds. (It works this way on my Freedon 2X, and is what the LRI instructions say to do.)