Just discovered Mountain Dew

Malpaso

Enlightened
Let me preface this my saying that I don't drink coffee. When I need a caffeine boost I always drink Coke. Last weekend, I was in the middle of my EMT refresher course and my butt was dragging. When we broke for lunch, I went to the sub shop and they didn't have any Coke, so I grabbed a Mountain Dew, because I'd always heard they have a ton of caffeine, and I'd never had one. I don't know if it was psychological or what, but the bump was immediate and noticeable. They don't taste too bad either. I'm guessing they're really bad for you.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly drink iced tea but Mt Dew is my soft drink of preference. Last couple years I've been doing concrete work... hard work for my ex-military, fire-fighter father in law that is impossible to please. Needless to say I bust my butt all day every day I work for him. I just cannot drunk Coke or Pepsi at all when doing that kind of work... Literally 4oz will upset my stomach and make me feel like I'm going to vomit, esp when doing hard work leaning over. Mt Dew is less fizzy or less gassy or something because I can drink it and work no problem.

Plus, it tastes pretty good.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I used to love Mt. Dew as a kid. Can't stand it now. Even though I'm hardly on a "diet" I can't stand non-diet soft drinks anymore. The sweetness makes me retch and burns my throat.

I think Mt. Dew seems like such a pick-me-up because it it's also got a higher sugar content than your average cola. Caffine without sugar is like trying to run a car with nitrous as oxidizer, but with no gas. You need both for the "legal speed" effect, IMO. :)

Twoards the end of my Mt. Dew affectation, I could only handle it in aluminum cans, where I couldn't see the ghastly fluid before consuming it. If you think you love Mt. Dew, try drinking it in a large clear glass where you can view it in all it's yellow/green glory. :D Depending on how suggestable your taste perceptions are, it might be a very different experience.

My current fave pick-me-up is 1-2 generic 150mg caffine pils from the drug store (same as 1-2 cups of coffee), followed by a "Power Bar" which is high in Malto-Dextrin (The "crack" of the sugar world…) then chased with a granola or cereal bar high in complex carbs so I don't crash and burn when the simple sugars are exhausted.

Drink it all with plenty of plain water, as caffine is a diruetic, and strong sugar solutions, (whether in drink fom or in digesting a power bar) is dehydrating. If the ionic solution you're trying to digest is stronger than the saturation of your body tissues, the osmotic pressure difference means water is going to flood your GI tract, dehydrating (at least temporarily) the rest of your body. Something you definitely don't want while engaging in hard labor. Really syrupy drinks like Mt. Dew can leave you thirstier than when you started on a really hard day. The caffinee buoys you up for a time, but in the end the dehydration means you might just be "breaking even" in how energetic you feel.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been drinking sugar-free Mountain Dew MDX for the last week or so, after taking an online survey about it, and shortly thereafter, seeing it at the store.
I sit at the computer much of the day, so I don't have to worry about dehydration and hard manual labour.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I drink Coke too. And MtDew. (but I don't like Pepsi, and I don't like Surge/mt alternatives).

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yahooo! Mountain Dew. It'll tickle yer innards. Get enough snorts for everybody.

Images

Years ago that's how it was advertised. I didn't understand why they thought hillbillys would be appealling to the public. I didn't like it. Have you ever had a Coke-a-Cola or a Dr. Pepper from the '60s or '70s? Much different then. Quite refreshing. Somewhere lurking in an old drugstore is a case of Coke syrup that hasn't gone bad. It's worth a fortune I'll bet.

No offense intended but I think Mountain Dew is an abomination.

For a fizzy non-alcoholic refreshment try R.W. Knudsen's Red Raspberry Spritzer. For something better try Mountain Spring Valley bottled water. This is from the natural springs in Hot Springs Arkansas. If you ever find yourself in Hot Springs you can fill some jugs up for free from the public tap. Yes, it comes out hot.

While looking for some images I ran across these facts I didn't know about Moutain Dew. From: Anitque Bottles

"Mountain Dew was invented in Knoxville around the mid 1940s as a chaser for Jack Daniels. Intended as a substitute for 7-Up. In 1948 Mountain Dew had a paper label bottle that used a one color label (black ink printed on white paper). In 1951 the first printed ACL Mountain Dew bottle was a clear and a green 7 oz. that said by "Barney and Ally". Clear 1951 bottle worth between $1000 and $1200 dollars in mint condition.

The first bottles bore the advertisement "mountain water", but this was removed in 1962 for fear of law suits. The 24 oz.green "Charlie and Bill" bottles were ordered to be destroyed by the Tri-City manager (Bill) so the company would not have to pay for deposits on the bottles. That's why the 24 oz bottles are so hard to find"

Mountain water? Naw, I told you how to get mountain water. If you don't want to come here your grocery store may carry it. They do in Arkansas.

----------------

- Jeff

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wow, that's like never eating a mcdonalds hamburger!

have you tried the new mt dew energy drink? mdx it's called.
tastes pretty good, but i didn't notice any energy spike (though i didn't expect one either, nothing works on me :( )

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you think Mountain Dew has a kick, try Jolt Cola. "All the sugar, and twice the caffeine" is how it has been advertised. It works, too!

TorchMan

Enlightened
I didn't know Jolt was still around. Years ago, when it first came out, it was kinda bitter. One night working as a security guard turned into a 24 hour day (both of the other shift guards didn't show so I had to stay) and someone gave me two No-Doze. I had a Jolt in the cooler. Intstead of perking me up, it made me shake at first (about an hour, and slight) and then I was extremely tired. No more Jolt after that. Or No-Doze.

I do a Dew ever now and then. I like it over ice more. I used to drink it fairly regular, but they changed the formula for a while. I believe they went back to the original one, or near it. Anyone have info on this?

As to the color, we call it anti-freeze.

Sixpointone

Enlightened
I like and drink Mountain Dew. But some years back there was a Soda named Surge. And I preferred that.

When playing sports I drink various fluids. They rage from Gatorade, Powerade, Vitamin Water, Fruit 2 0 and Water.

philiphb

Newly Enlightened
Dew's OK, but I'd rather hand an IV bag of caffine and bypass the GI system altogether.

dim

Enlightened
As fate would have it, I'm drinking a Dew right now as I'm first reading this thread. It's been my soft drink of choice for the past two years or so. Prior to that it was Coke, which I still prefer when I eat out. As much as I enjoy Dew, I try to moderate my consumption as that stuff really can't be all that good for you.

More sugar.
More caffine.
More light.
More cow bell.

dim

jeep44

Newly Enlightened
Just an observation: I'm a 50 year old guy. I recently had to take a class with a bunch of other guys in their early 20s. During breaks, I am the ONLY one drinking a coffee (without sugar,BTW). Everyone else is drinking Mountain Dew,or some other soft drink. Many, if not most of them also have the start of a pretty good gut on them. I don't. I gave up drinking any kind of pop years ago,after my wife's mother nearly died in a diabetic coma . In my opinion,drinking any kind of pop,diet or non-diet, is probably the worst thing you can do for your health. Add fast food on top of that,and you will be fighting a losing battle with your waistline all your life,not to mention vastly increasing your chances of developing diabetes.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh, good ol' Mountain Dew. It reminds me of Taco Bell when I was a kid. That used to be my favorite drink to get from there. I don't like it as much now, but if I'm really, really thirst, and it's really, really hot outside and I'm sweating, well then, a super cold can of Mountain Dew is just wonderful! I never thought of it as a pick me up, though. I never thought it even had caffeine in it. Lately, my morning pick me up is either green or black tea (from Trader Joe's) which I sweeten with agave. I also came across an energy drink at the 99 Cents Only store (2 for $.99) called Sysmo. I like it because it's sweetened with organic blue agave. Agave is a low GI food (ranks low on the Glycemic Index), so it doesn't spike your blood sugar like the sweeteners found in other non-diet sodas, which usually brings you down a short while after.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
jeep44 said:
Just an observation: I'm a 50 year old guy. I recently had to take a class with a bunch of other guys in their early 20s. During breaks, I am the ONLY one drinking a coffee (without sugar,BTW). Everyone else is drinking Mountain Dew,or some other soft drink. Many, if not most of them also have the start of a pretty good gut on them. I don't. I gave up drinking any kind of pop years ago,after my wife's mother nearly died in a diabetic coma . In my opinion,drinking any kind of pop,diet or non-diet, is probably the worst thing you can do for your health. Add fast food on top of that,and you will be fighting a losing battle with your waistline all your life,not to mention vastly increasing your chances of developing diabetes.

If your point is about sugared drinks being a problem why do you say "diet or
non-diet"?

Just curious - Greg

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever I see somebody buying diet sodas--they tended to be on the "large" end of the scale... I always thought that diet sodas either tricked the mind or the body into storing more fat and/or worsening eating patterns.

I have avoided diet drinks and would prefer to drink a normal soda over diet (water is typically my first choice in drinks).

I have read several articles like the following--but not close enough to draw a conclusion as to whether or not they are true (this article does not discuss causes vs effects):

Drink More Diet Soda, Gain More Weight?

Overweight Risk Soars 41% With Each Daily Can of Diet Soft Drink
June 13, 2005 -- People who drink diet soft drinks don't lose weight. In fact, they gain weight, a new study shows.

The findings come from eight years of data collected by Sharon P. Fowler, MPH, and colleagues at the University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio. Fowler reported the data at the annual meeting of the American Diabetes Association in San Diego.

"What didn't surprise us was that total soft drink use was linked to overweight and obesity," Fowler tells WebMD. "What was surprising was when we looked at people only drinking diet soft drinks, their risk of obesity was even higher."

In fact, when the researchers took a closer look at their data, they found that nearly all the obesity risk from soft drinks came from diet sodas.

"There was a 41% increase in risk of being overweight for every can or bottle of diet soft drink a person consumes each day," Fowler says....

For [...] soft-drink drinkers, the risk of becoming overweight or obese was:

• 47.2% for more than 2 cans each day. [regular soda]...
  • 57.1% for more than 2 cans each day. [diet soda]...
...Some soft drink studies do suggest that diet drinks stimulate appetite."

-Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm one of those that actually likes the taste of both diet and non-diet sodas. Whenever I'm at a soda fountain with multiple choices, I usually mix diet coke with Mr. Pibb, or Dr. Pepper, and anything else that will mix well, such as sprite and maybe a little orange (as a kid at the skating rink, we used to call this "a suicide"). There is something about diet sodas that I find refreshing.

Latest posts