"Dome" coming loose on my Luxeons?

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
I have noticed something pretty disturbing lately: the silicone(?) dome on my TerraLUX Mini-Mag bulb and Fenix L1P appear to be lifting! It doesn't affect the beam much at the moment, but I'm worried that one good drop will be enough to finally shake it off altogether... does anyone know how common this is, and can it be fixed by applying some silicon epoxy?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yikes! even your fenix is loosing it's dome? The luxeon must not have been centered well on the circuit, and when they put on the reflector, it must have pushed on it and broke it loose. (because the dome fits perfectly through the reflector hole)

I've never heard of silicon epoxy, but the dome is plastic, and filled inside is a silicon gel, which will leak out and get bubbles in it if the dome is removed, then that will mess with the beam/light coming out.

The dome is a no-pressure point. They are fragile, it's not solid epoxy like 5mm LEDs.

Perhaps you could contact the dealers/manufacturers?

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Agreed, i have had this happen on a mod where i didnt centre the led properly. I gave up repairing it so now led is capless. As a test I trimmed the silicone so that a very thin layer was left on the die only. It changed the beam a bit but has been working fine as a reading light for more than 6 months.

Though it does look strange :)

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Oh no! I don't want my Fenix relegated to being a "fine reading light" (no offense to those who read, of course)! I picked my Fenix up from these boards in a group buy, but I'm guessing that the person who arranged that has nothing to do with the company...

greenLED

Flashaholic
If you got the light from 4sevens, he's one of the distributors in the US (IIRC). I'd ask if this is covered under warranty.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
noooo, thats not quite what i meant :)

The mod was to a standard night light cliped to a bed head. It was intended for flood and only flood. Its a Lux3 running at about 500ma and there has been no appreciable lumen loss.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
I cut down the bit of plastic that is the excuse of a lens in a minimag. Its glued in place and completly seals the business end :) so no lint. Hooray!

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got mine from LITEMania, but he's way over in Korea... so I e-mailed Fenix, asking if I can send it in for repair. I'll let you guys know what happens...

Inferno

Newly Enlightened
Well, here's the reply I got from Fenix...

"Hello David,

Thanks for your favour with our lights. I am so sorry to hear that. You
can
contact our distributor from whom you have bought. We have warranty
service
for our all of our customers and this will be finished by our
distributors
according to our agreements. Any more inquiries please let me know.

Best regards,
Christina Wang
Fenix Electronics Co., Ltd.
www.fenixlight.com
Email:[email protected]
Tel:+86-755-2995 5335
Fax:+86-755-2995 5051"

So, I guess I'll be contacting LITEMania... as if he doesn't have his hands full already with orders and puchases!