Satellite Internet

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Anyone use a satellite internect connection? How do you like it? What brand? We just moved and once again, we are far enough out in the boonies that there is no cable and no dsl connection. I am considering DirecWay and a few others. I also hear that Verizon is going to start selling wireless internet connections over their network through a pcmcia card. Not sure exactly how fast they are. But I've been told they are at least much faster than my 24k that I normally get.

Just looking for options.

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't get DirecWay if I were you...a friend of mine had it and told me he often had latency of around 15 minutes!!!

If there is absolutely no other way to get high-speed service where you are, then and only then would I say try DirecWay...if you can get DSL or "wireless" DSL, etc...well -- I'm not going to get DirecWay...

JM-99

Grumpy

Enlightened
I had starband. You do not get what you pay for with them. I am now usning my verizon wireless phone with a datacable that I purchased from ebay. It was the same usb cable and CD that was offered on the verizon site for much more money. I like my verizon internet much better. I can take it to work and plug it in to my laptop via usb also. If you download a lot of large files, I think that satellite would be better. If you just surf the internet and download small files the cell phone works great. It is easy to set up also. If you get this set up and have any problems you can send me PM and I'll help you if I can. You also need to be carefull what plan that you use. You can use it for free at the slower 14k speed. To slow for me however. I am paying 59.99 per month for unlimited access. They have another plan that is 79.99 per month but you would not need that one unless you are in a major city and using one of the pcmcia cards that supports the faster speeds. The only plan that you can get for the pcmcia cards is the 79.99 plan. That is why I just purchased the cable for my phone. I don't mind carrying around a small cable to save 20.00 per month.

dwminer

Enlightened
I had starband for about 4 years. At the time it was the only game in town for those who lived in the sticks. It had its good points and not so good points. When qwest put DSL in our area, I was the first one to switch over. Where do you live that you have to use satellite? Dave.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Try Gilat. I know there's a research station in the middle of the Peruvian Amazon (3 days up river by boat, only solar power, etc.) that uses their service. If they can get a signal, you can get it too! (I'm guessing). Don't know their prices, though.