Program to find/see what's hogging CPU time?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Is there a program that will show what each application uses as far as CPU time goes?

Something is bumping my CPU usage to 100% and rendering the computer essentially useless for a good percentage of the time, and I'd like to find and eliminate that program.

I already use Spybot S&D, AdAware, AVG, and Microsoft Spyware Remover; and none of them have found anything.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
I'm guessing you're running Windows. If you're on 2000 or XP start simple... Right-click on the task bar and choose Task Manager. If you see a check box to show processes for all users, check it. You can sort by memory consumption and CPU which is useful. Hope this helps..

- Chris

drizzle

Enlightened
I agree with Gimpy, that's what I do. There are separate columns for CPU (current percent) and CPU Time (total accumulated since process started).

Good Luck. I'll be interested to see what other tools are out there that people recommend.

wmpwi

Enlightened
This is a good place to start. http://www.hijackthis.de/index.php

Download the program and run it. It generates a log of everything that is loaded at startup. Run the log fine through the hijackthis analyzer and it will find the stuff you need to have removed. In addition, when you pull up your task manager, click on CPU (it a toggle) and it will sort on what is using the most of it. You make note of the process and you can check here

http://www.processlibrary.com/

to see what it is and if it is problematic. Hope this gets you closer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Thank you for the suggestions!!!
I found an application that was using 97% of the CPU time, and terminated it - let's see if that does the trick!!! :thumbsup:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I found what the culprit was...a program called CISVC.EXE which was designed to monitor applications that hog memory and shut them down when necessary.

A more permanent fix than just terminating the program from the task manager at every bootup is:

Go to my computer and right click on the (NTFS) drives. Click properties and uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching" in the General tab. Repeat for all your (NTFS) drives.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming you have XP, another way to disable this from starting is to do the following:

1. Go to "Control Panel", "Administrative Tools", "Services"
2. Look for "Indexing Service", then right click and select "Properties"
3. Under "Startup Type", choose "Manual" or "Disabled" and click "OK".

If it is currently running, you can click on "Stop" to stop the service.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
SysInternal's Process Explorer will do what you originally asked (that is, track CPU usage and memory usage for individual processes) - here's a screenshot of its individual process tracking:

procinfo.png

Of course, all NT4, 2000, XP systems have this ability through the Performance Monitor (in Administrative tools - Performance) - and you can log information to disk. Performance monito lets you graph a multitude of process specific information.

Last edited: