Need car charger help for my cell phone. Kyocera.

InfidelCastro

Banned
Hello everyone. I got a Kyocera SoHo cell phone last week from Cellular One. I was wondering if I can use my old charger that I had for my Audiovox phone? The Audiovox is the one I had just before I got this one. It has a different connector, but I just now cut that off.

I have a car charger which I paid like $30 for when I got my original Kyocera phone back in 2002. The plug fits this new Kyocera perfectly like I had hoped. Unfortunately when I plug it into either my car or truck the little green light flashes and barely comes on. I don't think it works anymore. Not that I ever used it much.

I swear they make this junk to only last a year or two so you have to keep rebuying it!!!!!!!! ARgghh!!!!

Anyways, the Audiovox car charger is a cheapy that I bought off of Ebay with some other Chinese stuff that came with it. It seems to work if I be careful about the angle it's plugged into the cig lighter. Can I cut the end off of the old Kyocera charger and wire it to the Audiovox Ebay charger? Or do I run a good risk of damaging my phone? Do all cell phone car chargers have similiar specs?

I need a cellphone case with a belt clip (not that silly swivel thing that they always have) as well. I hate having to rebuy the accessories all the time, it costs as much as the phone..

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My best guess would be to say if both phones have the same type of battery and you get the pinout/wiring correct it should work. Another thing to think about is if the battery packs on both phones have (or don't have) protection IC circuits to prevent overcharging and/or shorting. If they do (or don't) there is a possibility the charger either lacks or compensates for it. If you do try it I would be careful the fist few times and charge it in a controlled environment and monitor it so you don't melt or blow something up by accident.