Cleaning AAA-P Reflector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that cleaning or even touching a reflector is normally a bad idea, but what about with the exposed reflector on the AAA-P? It does gather some dust, so would a Q-tip and a little rubbing alcohol be OK? Or something different? Or just leave it alone?

Thanks for any guidance.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I usually give mine a dunk in warm soapy water, then rinse and shake dry.
I remember reading about some types of alcohol creating cracks in Luxeon optics, I don't know if the same would apply on the Arc's LED dome. (I don't think so, but :stupid:)

Presidio

Newly Enlightened
I use a lens cloth and some brillianize and so far so good, I'd say I clean it about once a week and it still looks brand new.

NetMage

Enlightened
I polished mine, but that was for looks, as I recall Peter said it doesn't really act as a reflector - the LED lens focuses the light. Comparing my two, the polishing made very little difference.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally did what I should've done right off the bat---e-mailed Arc with this question. Here's the (very fast) response I received from Merri Gransee:

"Andrew,

Yes, you can clean the reflector and LED with a q-tip and alcohol. That is what I use to clean them.

Merri,

Arc Flashlight"

greenLED

Flashaholic
NetMage said:
I polished mine, but that was for looks, as I recall Peter said it doesn't really act as a reflector - the LED lens focuses the light. Comparing my two, the polishing made very little difference.

While this may be true for 5mm LED's, I've found from personal experience that polishing a metal reflector makes a difference when you're using a Lux. In my case, I could see the Lux's gold contact wires projected onto the wall, something that wasn't visible before polishing.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I'm interested in one of these lights, but how is the reflector "exposed"? That doesn't sound good. Would it be collecting lint in the reflector when it's riding around in my pocket?

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like with an Infinity Ultra, Peak, or other small 5mm LED lights, there is no plastic or glass lense over the bezel. It does collect a bit of lint, hence my question about cleaning it. But, as you can see from this thread, that seems to be no problem.

BTW, the new Arc AAA-P is a great little light---tiny, beautifully made, and significantly brighter than my beloved Ultras.

Status
Not open for further replies.