El-cheapo Mag85 .$ with a Maglite D or C body at least 500 lumens.

InfidelCastro

Banned
What's the cheapest you can make a Maglite in D or C with at least 500 torch lumens? I was thinking of making an el-cheapo Mag85. Was thinking of a 2D or 3D body. Or a bigger body if cheaper to make I guess.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't recommend it. If you want to make a mag85, do it right: use a Fivemega battery holder, a Kiu high-temp switch, quality NiMH cells (Sanyo 2500 or CBP 1650), and all the other good stuff. You can do it for less using 3-to-D's and so forth but you get a much flakier and maybe even dangerous light. Using the good stuff and buying everything new, you spend in the $120 range maybe.

If you just want a real cheap, bright light, and don't mind increased size/weight, skip the Mag mods and buy an SLA powered spotlight. A $25 Vector will easily outthrow a Mag85.

InfidelCastro

Banned
So then why the hell mod a Maglite??? I can buy a 5 Million candlepower spotlight at Menards for $9!!! LoL!!!

I don't plan on carrying a 3D Maglite in my back pocket anyways.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roar of the Pelican, construction cost <$100. $80 if you're good and shop wisely or take advantage of group buys to cut shipping.

Now available in Mag2C (lithium ion, or "Lithium Edition" LE version), Mag2D (6xAA high-current NiMH), or 4D/5C/6C (six SubC cells).

Bulbs - $15?
Reflector - $20
Glass - $6 (or use the Lexan if you're cheap, short bursts won't damage it even at max output)
Two LG Chem 18650 cells - $20
Mag2C - $15

Estimated 600 output/torch lumens and VERY MUCH MORE at the bulb, using the high output lamp included in the package. The low output lamp is estimated 350-400 torch lumens and is already wicked bright.

Warning: ROP's are *EXTREMELY* sensitive to battery configuration - for lithium ions, do not use anything except the LG Chem cells of 2200mAH and above, for NiMH, you must make sure your cells are high-current rated.

After I started working with these bulbs I sold my Mag85.

savumaki

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
So then why the hell mod a Maglite??? I can buy a 5 Million candlepower spotlight at Menards for $9!!! LoL!!!

I don't plan on carrying a 3D Maglite in my back pocket anyways.

Modding is the fun part- plus the satisfaction that YOU made it.

I got tired of the cheapo XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxCP units; bulky/fractured light/and in my case the bat packs last just long enough to get you to the next sale. JMHO.

Don't forget the old saying; "if we all liked the same thing, we would all be married to the same woman"

paulr

Flashaholic
Which bulb does the ROP use? You can actually fit two 18650's in a 2C mag? I'd think they'd be about 30mm too long (C cells are 50mm). Don't forget also, you'll need a li ion charger.

Latest posts