Fenix L1P VS Peak Mediterranean, non-flashaholic view

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A little background first:
Three guys work with me and they all carry flashlights at work. Presently, they all use Peak Mediterraneans. They have the 2AA bodies and 123A lithium bodies with 10 CR123A batteries in their desk drawer. We have a Maha charger that keeps the NiMH batteries charged for label makers, wireless mice, flashlights and other things. The batteries used are Powerex 2500mAH batteries.

The guys at work all use Mediterraneans with 2AA bodies, although they have 10 lithium 123A batteries and bodies. I decided to see what they thought of my Fenix L1P (I use it as a bicycle helmet light) Showed them the L1P, explained that it gets 2.5 hours of runtime on NiMH batteries, see how small it is, the holster etc. Did I start a revolution?

They played around with it and thought the small size was cool. They gave it back after 30 minutes and went about their business. Puzzled, I asked them what they thought and they basically did not see the point. They all stated the Mediterraneans were brighter, had better throw and if they wanted a small light, they would run the CR123A lithium body and be done.

I then asked them why none of them use the 123A body with the Mediterranean and only use the 2AA body. The response was unanimous.. the reason for the 2AA was that it gave the light enough weight that it can be used with a minimag holster and not fall out. No flaps to pull off so it is a quick and easy draw/remount. Their minimag holsters have the bottom of the pouch removed so the end of the light sticks out and the head sits on the top of the holster.

One more try... what about the small size? Their answer was quick: it is too big to put on a keychain, if it was an AAA light they would love it. I decided to EDC the Fenix L1P and Mediterranean 2AA with my Ripoffs CO-47FL holster this past week.

90% of the time I used the Med 2AA because I could grab it, use it and throw it back in the holster quickly. Using the L1P took more effort, I had to pull the flap on the holster, pull it up...grip the light and pull it out. Once done, look down, fit it back in and then close the holster. Doing this ten times a day becomes a hassle so I now understand my co-workers view.

I asked the secretary and she liked it but prefers my "little keychain light" (Matterhorn Snow29 3 LED HO) since it is bright enough, much smaller and fits on a keychain.

My conclusion is convienence is very important to "non-flashaholics" holster lights are prefered and if it is small, it better not be bigger than a single AAA keychain light. Once the Peak Ocean single AAA Luxeon light becomes available, I can assume they will love it until they hear the price!

The Fenix L1P returned to it's bicycle helmet mount duties and the Med 2AA returned to it's holster. My spare L1P will be modifed to run the high/low switching and placed in my deployment flashlight box next to the Arc and Peak red/UV lights. As a bicycle helmet light, the L1P is great for spotting drivers so they see me while riding.

Once I get my mitts on an Ocean AAA Luxeon, it should cause a stir... at least more interest than the L1P. The folks that evaluated the L1P were corrupted by being familiar with the Mediterranean and Matterhorn so that might of really threw my results off. If they only knew minimags and solitaires... things might of been different.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a lot of ways, I agree with your friends and your female friend as well. I currently EDC an L1P about 20% of the time and a modded 2-stage Q3 (with a rechargeable LiON) another 20% of the time. If I had a better holster (may get one from TAD Gear) I'd probably carry one or the other more often.

I also have a Lux I-modded ARC AAA on my keychain that is more than bright enough for 98% of indoor tasks and about 50% of outdoor tasks and usually if it doesn't have enough output, I need a LOT more throw such as from a Lux III-moded Mag.

While the Fenix and Q3 and similar lights are a popular class, for me they are still an ackward class... More output than one usually needs indoors and not enough throw for a lot of outdoor work.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see merit in their reasons. The reason I won't buy any of the HDS lights is it's size, specifically it's diameter. At one inch it's just too fat, I see no need for it to be that fat when my FireFly is thinner. The same argument for AAA's over AA's.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said: "...The folks that evaluated the L1P were corrupted by being familiar with the Mediterranean..."

That is a rare situation. Not many people have a $110 subcompact Luxeon light.

But I actually agree with them. The Mediterranean is better than the Fenix L1P, and the 2AA Med is about the best in that form factor.

They've already got the best. Good as it is, all the 1AA Fenix can offer is lower price, and a different form factor that doesn't fit their existing holsters as well. Maybe a 2AA Fenix would have been different.

I agree the upcoming 1AAA Peak Luxeon light will be very interesting.

If semi-custom is OK, the upcoming CR2 ION may have nearly the output of a Mediterranean in a true keychain size, but it's $145.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to OT but to save a thread, could someone tell me the main differences between the carribbean, and the mediterranean stock as on quick beams review sight? he likes both seem's to dig the carb a lot, esp the runtime.
but both seem almost identical, other then the ribbing on the medi, in being 123/1.5W driven 3watt luxIII.

carrbibbean 1250 CP, the medi 1050 CP (yes i know the caprice of judging on lumens, CP, or Lux, just wanted to address that if it comes up)

Any pic's yet on the 1W-1xAAA? (gotta have one if it's not way too much $)
I didn't even know til i read it here.VDG

Somy Nex

Enlightened
it's a bit funny, but for me, my fenix is almost starting to replace my caribbean. after i got the fenix, i've carried both together for a while, but i've gone through two 123s on the carib, while am still on the same lithium battery on the fenix. i don't think i use either one more than the other, and if anything, use the fenix more for intermittant use because the clicky is easier to operate.

i haven't brought my carib with me the past week because of the dead battery, but once i receive my rcr123 kit from AW, i most likely will start carrying both again.

VDG: i think the difference is that the mediterranean uses a larger reflector than the carib, which gives it a better throw. not sure but i think the rest is more or less identical...

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking about the guys at work and their response to the Med with CR123A body and spare lithiums. We have 44 spare lithium cells laying around and not a single person uses them. The 2AA body running NiMH cells makes the Med a minimag-type light and it fits holsters easier. Even if there was a holster for the 123A body the small size and light weight would cause it to fall out. The much longer and heavier NiMH packed 2AA body allows the length and weight of the light to hold itself in position. The 123A bodies with lithium are screwed onto the line-loc clamp/magnet device and used if they want hands-free operation. That makes the Med even more convienient for my non-flashaholic co-workers. Ease of use is very critical in their case.

The head on the L2P is not larger than the barrel and would slide through a "minimag type" holster (we use Ripoffs for minimags/leathermans) The Med was spec'd over the Caribbean for this reason (and for better cooling and throw) When I asked them if they would switch out the Kroll for a twistie with momentary switch, half of them would for better durability. I forgot another person uses a Med 2AA Kroll and he likes to use it "tactically" and likes the Kroll.

When we play our games several times per year, there are times we crawl through the ceiling and have to light up things 50 feet away in tunnels. The standard lights were a 2C Mag in a holster and a few minimags. The Mediterranean 2AA lights instantly obsoleted the carry of two Mags and were adopted. When doing this, the lights are used about 30-50 times over a 12 hours period for about 4 hours of illumination time. At the half-way point, the NiMH batteries are swapped and we grab some food to eat. The guys looked at the Inova T4 but nixed the idea due to the rechargable batteries, running 2AA was more convienient.

Granted, my situation is rather unique but I figured the Fenix L1P would of received a much warmer reception. It also pointed to the concept of ease of use of keychain lights and holster lights. For us, the 2AA/drop-in form factor works well and 123A/single AA is too small and light to hold itself in a drop-in holster. When size really matters, nothing larger than a single AAA keychain-mounted light is a rule. I'll find out when the Ocean Luxeon AAA becomes available since Christmas is coming. When the Matterhorn Snow29 3 LED HO is compared against the Ocean Luxeon...price will most likely be the go/no go factor. For non-flashaholics, price is a big factor after ease of use.

Living in Turkey does make carrying a light around something the average person thinks about more often. My Turkish buddies love the Matterhorn AAA so I will show them the L1P this weekend for their view. Have I lost my ability to project what light works best for folks?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
BentHeadTX said:
...Have I lost my ability to project what light works best for folks?...
I don't see this as failure. Think of the times we try to convert people to better lights and fail.

In your case they're ALREADY running about the best light made in that form factor.

However it's a good lesson about the importance of form factor vs emphasizing only smaller size and output.

The right holster (maybe custom) would probably enable the Fenix, but output is no better than the Med, in fact not as good.

To be compelling, a light would need a feature they don't current have, yet need. E.g, multiple output levels. Or much more output/runtime in the same form factor.

The best chance for that is the upcoming 1xAAA Luxeon lights.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
joema said:
The best chance for that is the upcoming 1xAAA Luxeon lights.

Very true, 1xAAA Luxeon lights people have no problem EDC'ing on a keychain and it would be a "gateway flashlight". I don't think the price for admittance would make it easy to swallow but you never know.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly after reading this thread again I think the key point here is not the Flashlight but the holster.

Whatever light you show us must be workable in "THIS holster" if it doesn't we reject the light.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like that Double_A,
Actually it is the TYPE of holster that is key. 2AA lights be they minimags, Mediterranean 2AA or Brinkmanns have the ability to just drop them in a holster without the hassle of opening a flap. The length and weight keep it in the holster and it does not slide out when laying down for instance.
2D, 3D etc Mags are the same way, the weight/length allows for easy drawing of the light out of the holster without dealing with flaps, using two hands or looking when you draw the light. The long form factor allows this and the smaller lights can't compete.
This would explain them not using the shorter 123A body on the Mediterranean. Until 1xAAA Luxeon lights hit 50+ lumens (2008?) and give two hours of runtime, I don't see them giving up the easy to use holsters. The holsters they generally use are Ripoffs CO-47FL or minimag holsters with the bottom cut out.
A Fenix L2P would suit them if they used a larger holster for the larger diameter light and it had a ring added to the head so it would not fall through when holstered. They love the minimag form factor and the minimag drop-in holster. The Mediterranean 2AA is about as close as you can get to that form while being a waterproof, HA-III current regulated LuxeonIII LED light. The guys I worked with in Texas loved the Streamlight Luxeon Jr. until the overheating problems when running for long periods and failing switches dampened their enthusiasm.
It does not matter how good the light works if people will not carry it with them.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I agree that the ability to carry a flashlight easily is a bonus. All of my carry lights use an open top leather holster, and I use a leather mini-mag holster (Maglight brand) for my Fenix L1P. The bottom is open on this holster, but the fit of the Fenix is very snug, but not to snug to pull it out or insert, and I have never had any problems with it slippling through. To make it move in the holster I have to delibertly push it. This small, easy to use holster, makes my Fenix a daily companion.

Bill

Latest posts