Rocommend a 2 Stage LED Light

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I am looking to buy a 2 stage torch. I am hoping that it will be quite powerful (around 50 lumens) on the high setting while lasting around 2 hours, and have REALLY good battery life on the lower setting. I don't care what kind of batteries it runs on, and I am hoping it will be around the same size as a Minimag (give or take 1").
I already have a Fenix L1P and I want this new torch to be quite a bit more powerful than that.

So far I am leaning towards the Nuwai 301x-3. It seems to have all the features I am looking for, but I want to make sure there isn't something else out there that is better.
I am also looking to spend in the $40-60 range, but if there is something really nice I will spend a little more.

Thanks

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
How about an Sure fire L2??

18 hours on low, which is plenty bright for most tasks. High beam up to 100 lumens (per box). Just got mine yesterday, like it alot.

But it is $160, probably find a better deal if ya looked.

-PSM

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply, but that is WAY more than I was hoping on spending!!! I bet the the Surefires are absolutely awesome, but unless I needed flashlights for my job and/or safety, I would never pay that much for one.

So... is there anything better than the 301x-3 for around the same price, or have I already found the best one for my needs?

Geode

Enlightened
I also recommend the Nuwai 3W two stage light. I own one and am very happy with it.

CLHC

Flashaholic
As PoliceScannerMan already mentioned—the SureFire L2 is a good choice and so is the McLux.III.PD by McGizmo. Of course these are more than what you may be willing to spend but are excellent choices. Besides if you're not pleased with it, you can always sell them in the Lights B/S/T section where there will be more than a few willing to buy them off of you. Just my input here that's all. . .

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a two stage Nuwai model that's worth considering before they sell out.

The mini turbo head gives nice throw and it's bright.

Flashlight Reviews did a write-up on it. You can find it here .

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Lumenhound. I will definetley keep that one in mind. It is in my price range, and is actually much brighter than the 301x-3.

I'm not sure how to figure Lumens, I think it is figured out by multiplying the Lux by 1.4. So that would make this torch around 70 lumens, right?
I really like the look of the 301x-3 alot more than this one, but it seems that this light has much better performance.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
$28... wow! If you can live with the size of the 115, that's an excellent price for a very versatile and usable light.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
adirondackdestroyer said:
I'm not sure how to figure Lumens, I think it is figured out by multiplying the Lux by 1.4.

No, the factor of 1.43 can be used as an approximate correlation to obtain lumens from the "light box" output numbers given in the flashlightreviews.com ratings. Lux (when measured at a fixed distance) tells you only how tightly focused the beam is, not how much light is being produced.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own two of the TM115's, and they ARE a nice light.

It is a bit brighter than the other one, and has better throw due to the larger reflector.

I would take the 70 lumens with a grain of salt however. Quickbeams tests show overall output at 30, then multiply by 1.45 to get appx. lumens, so it's about 44 lumens.

That agrees with my eyeball tests.

The two level lights make a great deal of sense, as I seldom need the full output. Use the low for a pee trip at night, to check on the kids, etc., and hit the switch again for noises in the night.

On low, they would run about forever.

I also love the Mag like side switch.

spokes

Newly Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
Thanks Lumenhound. I will definetley keep that one in mind. It is in my price range, and is actually much brighter than the 301x-3.

I'm not sure how to figure Lumens, I think it is figured out by multiplying the Lux by 1.4. So that would make this torch around 70 lumens, right?
I really like the look of the 301x-3 alot more than this one, but it seems that this light has much better performance.

I thought the "lux-to lumen" and "candlepower to lumen" dragons had been slain long ago, but yet again they rear their ugly heads.

Longbow

Enlightened
I've both the "Big Q-III" and the VB-16 4W. Both are keepers. I'm presently considering the Streamlight Tasklight 2L 3W at Amazon.com for $53.95 which includes shipping. I can't afford Brightguy's price of $78.00.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks alot for all the great responses guys. I have it narrowed down to a few selections.
I am now really considering the VB-16. The light sounds awesome with all of its levels, and the most powerful setting seems very bright as well.
I notice that a few different people on this site are selling them. Are they selling the same light, or are they at all different? I want the 4w version (which seems to get the most praise) and I was hoping to get the best one possible, so please point me in the right direction (link if possible).

Thanks !