Any Floatable Lux LED lights under $50?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of any Luxeon based LED lights that float for under 50.00? Even if they are waterproof but not floatable, I suppose that is fine, also, but i would prefer that it floats. I have a friend who has a pontoon boat and uses a 3D Mag lite as his main light. I want to get him something better, hopefully brighter, and preferably floatable for under 50.00. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a very good idea. That does seem to be a very good choice except for the sinking part. I suppose I could attach a little keyring floatie to it with a keychain. I will probably do that if no one else has any other suggestions.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SL 4AA Luxeon is a great light and would be excellent for a boat. Might take a couple of those key floatie things to keep it from sinking.

I don't know of any floating Luxeon lights.

Coleman makes an entire line of waterproof and floating lights. They are all incan including some pretty bright 4D models. They have some that turn on automatically if they go in the drink.

Only LED I am aware of is a Dorcy 4AA. I doubt it is a Luxeon, but might be worth taking a look at. Dorcy

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, then what would be a decent 6V floatable light that I could put a everLED into. I am all for that if I could find a "host" for the everLED drop-in.

InfidelCastro

Banned
I don't know if LED's are the best lights for boats are they? You'd probably want something with alot of throw and that will cut through fog. I don't think this is the best way to introduce him to LED lights.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I've never tested the SL 4AA Lux with "lithiums". It probably still sinks.

EDIT: I pulled the batteries out and this sucker floats from stem to stern. Now if someone with lithiums could give it a try we may just have the ideal combination for socom1970.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick your favorite Lux light then make a float lanyard for it. All you need is a length of cord and some of that closed cell foam tubing sold at most hardware stores. Put them together and now you've got a padded floating lanyard attached to your light.

I'd probably go with something longer running if he's used to D cells. Maybe Streamlight ProPoly 3C lux.

-LT

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
:bumpit:

LowBat said:
Hmmm, I've never tested the SL 4AA Lux with "lithiums". It probably still sinks.

EDIT: I pulled the batteries out and this sucker floats from stem to stern. Now if someone with lithiums could give it a try we may just have the ideal combination for socom1970.

mccavazos

Enlightened
Just tested this light with lithiums, and it sinks. Not super fast, but it does go down pretty quick. I imagine that with two or three of those floating keychains and lithiums, it would float pretty well. One might even be enough to make it float, but I would trust two or more.

Chris

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
mccavazos said:
Just tested this light with lithiums, and it sinks. Not super fast, but it does go down pretty quick. I imagine that with two or three of those floating keychains and lithiums, it would float pretty well. One might even be enough to make it float, but I would trust two or more.

Chris

Thanks Chris for testing it with lithiums.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer makes an assortment of floating lights. Pick your form factor, then put an EverLed in one of these.

Energizer® Sea Beam™ Lantern
Model #DOL1LB1H

http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4

Energizer® Trailfinder™ Krypton Light
Model #K221WB-E, #K251WB-E
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4&id=4

Eveready® Full Access™ Lantern
Model #WP1LB1BP
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4&id=5

Eveready® Utility Lantern
Model #5109WB-S
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=6&id=4