Looking for an LED light with a better throw than my River Rock 2C.

InfidelCastro

Banned
The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for an LED light that has better throw than the 1.5W Nichia Jupiter LED in my River Rock. The River Rock is mostly an around the backyard light and it serves it's purpose well at that.

But I'm looking for something with a bit more throw to it. The River Rock has a nice spot beam, but after about 40 yards or so it's starting to get pretty dim. I would imagine a 3W or 5W Luxeon would have more power to it. The Guardian Night OPS is a nice light, but a little pricey. The River Rock cost $20. I'm wondering if there's something in the under $100 price range that would outperform it?

What do you all think of the Inova T3 or XO3? Is that a 3W? How well does it throw compared to the River Rock?

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
One characteristic of the Streamlight 4AA Luxeon that lets me see a little farther than with the River Rock 2C is that the Streamlight's color is significantly whiter. My River Rock 2C's light has a blue tint. It's not that the SL is so much brighter, but that its white light makes it easier to discern details at a distance.

InfidelCastro

Banned
nerdgineer said:
Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA light, $23 plus shipping from here. Check review here.

I was just reading in another thread, someone was saying the Dorcy kicks its butt.

Anybody have experience with the Inova's?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said: "...The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for an LED light that has better throw than the 1.5W Nichia Jupiter LED in my River Rock..."

If you don't mind the size, the best throwing LED light under $100 is probably the LEDBeam 3C, $25 plus free US shipping:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledbeam_3c.htm
http://www.ledbeam.com/

The T3 and XO3 are pretty good throwing lights. Nice look and feel.

The SL Propoly Lux 4AA is a great throwing light, good runtime also, about $25.

The Pelican 3W HA M6 has lots of output and throws very well, probably more than all the above except the LEDBeam. About $100 from http://www.batterystation.com/m6led.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6_2390.htm

AshA4

Banned
I second the LEDBeam!! I bought two to try out, gave one to my father and ordered four more. Excellent light for $25 shipped IMHO. Also I do like my Dorcy 3D for $21.99. Almost as much throw as the LEDBeam, smaller hotspot but loner runtimes. I also won't stop reccomending the Sam's Element lights. For a 3AAA 1 watt, it throws excellent and is the whitest led light I have. For $27 a pair, you can't beat them!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have most of the lights mentioned except the Propolymer. The T3 and LED Beam will radically out-throw the River Rock 2C. In my opinion, the 2C gives the impression of throw because there is no side spill. The LEDBeam probably has like 10 times the throw of the 2C and five times the brightness.

I don't have any beam shots of the LEDBeam yet, but here is the River Rock and a 2C Mag Mod which has probably slightly more throw than the LEDBeam, but they are darn close. Both of these are at 52 feet.

For something with longer runtime than the ~4 hours of the LEDBeam, the Dorcy 3D Super 1W is in the last pic. A wider hotspot, probably about half the throw of the LEDBeam, but still very usable and almost 24 hours runtime.

3%20River%20Rock%202C%20IMG_1599a.jpg

5%20937%20LiON%20UX1L%20800.jpg

1%20Dorcy%203D%20Super%201W%20IMG_1596a.jpg

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
InfidelCastro said:
The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for an LED light that has better throw than the 1.5W Nichia Jupiter LED in my River Rock. The River Rock is mostly an around the backyard light and it serves it's purpose well at that.

But I'm looking for something with a bit more throw to it. The River Rock has a nice spot beam, but after about 40 yards or so it's starting to get pretty dim. I would imagine a 3W or 5W Luxeon would have more power to it. The Guardian Night OPS is a nice light, but a little pricey. The River Rock cost $20. I'm wondering if there's something in the under $100 price range that would outperform it?

What do you all think of the Inova T3 or XO3? Is that a 3W? How well does it throw compared to the River Rock?

Get either the SL Propolymer 3C (throw better and has more runtime than the 4aa) or the Inova T3/XO3. Inovas are pure throwers.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
If size is not a big issue, Dorcy Metal Gear 3D 1W. Mine throws like crazy.

If size means a bit, SL 4AA Pro Poly Lux. Mine isn't quite the Dorcy but ain't TOO shabby.

If size really matters, Dorcy Metal Gear 3AAA. Mine is maybe 60-70% of my SL 4AA and using rechargable AAAs.

If you need even more throw, you'll pretty much have to go incandescent.

This advice is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say the Dorcy 3 D-cell "Super 1 Watt", usually $21.99 at Target. It will out-throw may lights. And mine at least had an output in the 50 lumen range.

dorcy3d1.jpg

Last edited:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlightreviews just tested the Striker-VG. It had by far the best throw of any LED light ever tested -- 6850 (82.76). This puts it above many good throwing incandescent lights, including the 3D Mag-Lite, Pelican M6 incandescent, Surefire M3, and Streamlight Scorpion.

The Striker-VG comes very close in throw to the Streamlight Strion, and throw is 88% of a TL-3, one of the best throwing incandescents.

I don't know what Striker costs, but it certainly proves that LED lights can have excellent throw, beating many incandescents.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/ledlogic_strikervg.htm
http://www.ledlogic.com/