what is the best single primary cell CR2 light

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I m getting more keen on pocket lights and looking for more. I had a few single cell lights; Q3, L1, E1L, Fenix L1+, 2.5p, gerber infinity and ARC aaa.

My mind is set to add a single cell CR2 light, but i prefer it to run on primary.
I got a dozen of these Batt ironically but none of my lights run on these.
Is there a CR2 light that has a balance between throw and flood?
My mind is only on JIL 1.3w cause i prefer it to be regulated.

Any reconmendation would be a great help.

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JIL 1.3w seems to be a great product. But if you are willing to pay more for a custom product, you should check out the upcoming CR ION flashlight here on CPF.

Luxman

Enlightened
Both the 1.3W and DD Jil lights are Excellent Lights. They are high quality, very bright, perfect compromise of throw/spill, and will nicely fit in the pocket or on the keychain. If you are starting a collection of small or pocket size lights, IMO you will be very happy with either Jil! :)

631ps5500mg.jpg

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxman said:
Both the 1.3W and DD Jil lights are Excellent Lights. They are high quality, very bright, perfect compromise of throw/spill, and will nicely fit in the pocket or on the keychain. If you are starting a collection of small or pocket size lights, IMO you will be very happy with either Jil! :)

631ps5500mg.jpg
Luxman, could you please provide us some JIL beamshots against other popular LED lights?

Thanks in advance.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think the one we're all waiting for is the CR2 Ion. But could someone post a pic of the regulated JIL next to a Firefly?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
cr2s.jpg

Top to battom:

Vortex KC1
Fire~Fly II w/CR-2 body
Advancemart LED-050CR2

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably go for the CR2 ion light from Endeavor. I have a CR2 light in the works, but it does not make your "single" requirement - it uses a 2 x side x side config.

Luxman

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic,
No time for beamshots now, but both Jil's have similar beam characteristics as the Nuwai QIII in hot spot size and spill. The QIII is noticeably brighter than the Jil DD while the Jil 1.3W is about the same brightness as the QIII and with a little larger hot spot (don't forget the Jil's are Much smaller than the QIII). The DD beam color is about like my SF U2 at the same intensity which is Slightly green while the 1.3W is very white.
Cones has beamshots:
http://www.cones-stuff.co.uk/
More info:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=84328
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=88575

Last edited:

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Best" is relative, but I'm sure many people here that were lucky enough to recieve them would nominate the "Larry Light" (sorry tvodrd, I know you don't like that moniker) as the best in class. It's smaller than any of the lights mentioned and has a perfectly implemented 2 stage twisty switch.

Of course, no one can get these unless they pop up on B/S/T for big bucks, therefore, I too will note the upcoming ION which is more or less "directly inspired" by the Larry Light.

As for the Jil Lites, they are great but I see much greater value in the Jill DD over the 1.3, especially when using primary cells. I say this because the DD is acually noticably smaller when compared to a CR123 light and will get 20+ hours!! of light out of one CR2 battery. The 1.3 is fine, but considering its not a whole lot smaller than a small CR123 light (take a look at the Amilite T3- looks similar, also Korean) I don't see a point in using more expensive and lower capacity batteries in a "brighter" light.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
"Best" is relative.

I think in a way the CR2 powered lights are going to be the future for small
very bright EDC's. I am glad so the ion will not be a limited run like so many light's are, I plan to get one soon as i get past the holiday season.

I do own a jil 1.3 for the opposite reasons stated here. I do not watching like watching a LED slowly roll down in brightness. I carry a photon freedom on my keys, and a 1xAAA around my neck, so I am in no need for emergency lighting, since I am more appt to forget my CR2 EDC going out the door then
then my back ups! So i would much rather have the brightness constant.

I will say my jil 1.3 I got in the first run is a monster in so many ways, it's brighter then my ARC LSH-P, very small and light, and what really got me was the runtime, longer then any lux light I got. i was under the impresson that a CR2 is/was pathetic on runtime, so I wanted to add that even though the DD will run longer, the 1.3 has got great runtime for a CR2.

BTW roy, what's your opinion on the KC-1? I wanted one since i seen' em at least a yr ago, but there always out of stock at places with a price i feel comfortable with. But weird, I never see anyone talk about them much on CPF? is it a underground favorite? VDG

Last edited:

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
IMHO....the KC-1 is built like a tank, which also means that for a CR2 light it is bigger than it needs to be. It is bery bright...I measured 420 Fc@1Ft and a runtime of 41 minutes to 50% of max brightness. It uses optic instead of a reflector. The color is white (on mine). The beam is tight and smooth with very littls side spill.

Here is the runtime plot and pics:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69215

...and here is the runtime plot and pic of the Advancedmart CR2 light:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85977

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy said:
IMHO....the KC-1 is built like a tank, which also means that for a CR2 light it is bigger than it needs to be. It is bery bright...I measured 420 Fc@1Ft and a runtime of 41 minutes to 50% of max brightness. It uses optic instead of a reflector. The color is white (on mine). The beam is tight and smooth with very littls side spill.

Here is the runtime plot and pics:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69215

...and here is the runtime plot and pic of the Advancedmart CR2 light:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=85977

Thnak you my friend. I seem to remember that it comes with a low dome. Is that correct? VDG

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far some of the great single primary CR2 EDC lights would be:

1 - Jil DD
2 - Jil 1.3
3 - CR2 ion
4 - FireFly II with CR2 body
5 - Vortex KC-1
6 - Larry Light
7 - Katokichi K.I.T CR2

The term 'best' would simply be the overall 'package" of the light: aesthetic, ergonomic, bright output, good runtime and built quality.

Definately no light can be a champion of all category (will there be one?) its the overall "package" that make it the best.

But then again there will be the cost $$ factor, which I assume, is quite expandable here in CPF.

expensive flashlight? what is expensive??:devil::paypal:

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
kissml3.jpg

You did say the best primary CR2 light. There is one built to take a primary and secondary cell with no change in brightness. The best is lots of money, is rare and coveted. Your description aptly describes the Katokichi Ichishiki Splash Special, the KISS light. The custom gem of a light has quite a few features.

• Blue and black splash hard anodize.
• A premium pure white tint Lux emitter.
• The brightness is very stable. The light will run either primary or a rechargeable cell with no change in brightness. A very sophisticated buck and boost converter with a range of 2.0 to 6.5 volts is fitted into the light. It is a step above a simple boost converter or direct drive that other CR2 light have installed.
• Many multifunction programs are included in the KISS. Enhancing the buck/boost converter is programming that includes low, medium, and high beams. Secondary functions include- Fast Blink, strobe, wave, heartbeat, hi/lo and marker.

All of those features are in the small light. It is hard to find. The few people that own them do not let them go. I'm one of those people. It is made by special request for people with the patience to wait for it and the cash. Earlier in the year, I convinced Kato and ARC mania to make a couple extra. When the KISS 'hit the streets' they were snapped up, unsurprisingly, very quickly. A lucky few members got them.

The CR2 lights are Kato's specialty. The KISS has more options then a lot of lights. It always stands out from the pack of lights. It has my vote for the best of the CR2 lights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Best CR2 Primary Light?

Well this one isn't:

Ti-CR2-Fence-2.jpg

It is single though! :nana:

This titanium gem of a light sports a seemingly random ring of H3 vials safely nestled in its sexy skirt (tail). So well nestled that most of the light emitted never makes it out! It has a sterling silver heat sink bonded to Dr. Lumiled's most favorite LED; yes his pick of the litter! It is so white that the light is transparant with no tint what so ever! This light shines with or without battery!

The titanium components:

Ti-Parts.jpg

Were machined by a marginally adept twit in Berkeley with delusions of adequacy and a strange facination with the element titanium. After using this gem for a while, he added function as well as ugly to the light with milled flutes; measured and porportioned to match and mate with the rifled ridges of the sphincter of a giant desert tortiose known only as Ted.

milled-flutes.jpg

Yes, this light is certinly a singularity but it is not for sale. In fact, its whereabouts are not certain at this time.

The light is driven by a pedestrian boost converter that provides constant companionship and a steady flow of electrons regulated by the tidal pull of Uranus or was that Ted's uknow?

But alas the point and post is moot at best and a down right waste of band width at worst! It was inspired though if not inspirational!

In closing, this light gets my vote for the most inappropriate example to the question posed by the thread's author. By the process of elimination, a solution is often reached.