The life I helped save and the lights I use to do it: CENSORED

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
Due to the grey area that is patient confidentiality, I felt compelled to alter this post EVEN FURTHER. Let it be known that the original post drastically protected the innocent. However, I altered it further for peace of mind. I apologize for those of you who were all excited to read the whole story. -P.

.. . . .. . I got called to a seedy bar where... .... .. .. . . . .. . .. .. . . . We arrive on scene and PD had the scene secure (very dangerous bar.) I make my way around the corner to the front of the bar thinking he was still inside so I whip out my Fenix L1P. Coincidentally, none of the firefighters can ever figure out how such a small light can be so damned bright. Anyway, I didnt get to use my Fenix because PD had dragged him outside to give us room to work.

Dispatch said .. . ... . . . .. . and PD confirmed that that is what "supposedly happened" so I bust out with my X1 and check his pupils which were blown and unreactive. I then flash around his head to look for cuts, cracks, and soft spots. I dont notice anything. I do this all in a few seconds while the guys Im working with pull out the various toys needed to help this guy.

(I had to remove the rest of this story... sorry cpfers)

Thanks to the teamwork of the crew I was working with, my CPR skills, and Paramedic . . . .. . drugs and all ... other toys, the call went smoothly.

Sorry it's a skeleton of it's former self. :awman:

Last edited:

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The life I helped save and the lights I use to do it.

great story
-----------------
pfmedic said:
I thought I cracked my thumb then the whole segment of ribs at the base of my palms cracks in two. Several thrusts later the upper portion of my palm cracks the other side.
His ribs broke?

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened

It's common and when weighed against not performing CPR it's considered to be "the lesser of the two evils."

Last edited:

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened

Nemul I updated the posting for clarification.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Training and the tools to put that training to use...:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing that!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

pfmedic said:
Nemul I updated the posting for clarification because it may have just been the cartilage separating from the rib. It's difficult to ascertain in the field.

Wow, the things they never tell you about CPR...

But great job in using the lights and making a difference. :thumbsup:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great story!

I use a little modded Dorcy AAA to illuminate epidural sites. Though the color isn't perfect, it is darm bright, and everyone comments on just how bright it is.

Funny, but the blue-ish tint of the Nichia CS actually helps to discern small amounts of blood: it looks black.

Bob

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

pfmedic said:
It's common and when weighed against not performing CPR it's considered to be "the lesser of the two evils."

Correct...it can sometimes be helpful to know if ribs break because they can (on rare occasion) cause a pneumo.

Bob

philiphb

Newly Enlightened

Better a frail chest than a failed heart!:goodjob:

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully the guy gets some therapy after he recovers or you might be repeating the same scenario again. :candle:

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened

Mr. Bob. Nice to see a fellow medical professional to share the ins and outs of lights with.

:wave:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any medical personnel can crack my ribs if they save my life. Great Story! :goodjob:

CLHC

Flashaholic

Great experience PFMedic!

Will have to incorporate what I read here into First-AID/CPR class that I'll be attending come Monday morning. . .

Thanks for sharing!

attowatt

Enlightened

Excellent story... I was on the edge of my seat reading this:popcorn:
I wish there were a TV show titled "Medics" or "EMTS" to ride along with you guys/girls in the field.:clap:

:goodjob:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

pfmedic said:
Mr. Bob. Nice to see a fellow medical professional to share the ins and outs of lights with.

:wave:

Yup--we are all here to help folks.

I am a nurse, and currently enjoy the comforts of a hospital.
YOU are the real front-line people: EMT's, paramedics, firefighters, police--any first responders.
You are truly in the trenches. I have filled in on Survival Flight, so I truly appreciate what you folks do...and it sure was exciting!

Take care,
Bob

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
PFMedic, what are you afraid of posting the story? It is required that you do not use last names when talking about patients to folks without a need to know about the case. It is not required that you not share medical information or stories. So put the damnable story back, dont tell us his name or the name of the town it happened in. That will legally protect you and him.

If someone here has the access to some system somewhere to correlate any of the other information and find out who he was or what else happened then they have access legally to that information and you're not telling them anything illegally, or they are accessing the information illegally, and it's none of your concern.

Latest posts