Choose my next light =D

Delvance

Enlightened
Hey all! New to the forums.

Been wanting to buy a new light but can't find what i really want, so where better to ask than here ? :grin2:

-What i'm looking for is something not too big (4c size'ish max, prefer something smalller)
-Really really good throw, side spill is not too big a concern for this light. Something with lots of lux hehe
-Voltage regulation would be nice, watching my lights perform best only when the batteries are fresh sometimes annoys me
-Preferably LED, doesn't have to be though
-300US max'ish

Ohh, i've noticed that most regulated lights tend not throw as well as non regulated lights. Is this because of the circuitry or just the manufacturer choosing the light to perform a certain level.

Thanks in advance :)

ps. Some lights i've thought about, EL elx6, and Lioncub with LH...no regulation kind of turned me off though :ironic:

Delvance

Enlightened
Had a look at the U2 on flashlightreviews. Loved everything about it except the 1885 lux reading on highest =(. I was thinking nearish 10,000lux, or better yet, over haha.

Thanks =)

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for such high lux readings from a LED flashlight, you will probably have to buy a multiple LuxIII flashlight. On www.elektrolumens.com you can find a few for very competetive prices :)

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO if your budget is really $300, it's difficult to beat the Surefire U2. It's just a superb light -- tremendous output, high quality, excellent regulation, good beam pattern, six-level variable brightness.

OTOH good as the U2 is, it's not a super thrower. Also the U2 has a pretty bright sidespill (although fairly narrow at 60 degrees).

If you want a real thrower, the Streamlight TL-3 incandescent is quite compact and really reaches out. It has a much broader sidespill angle at 100 degrees, but it's very dim so not much power diverted to sidespill. Only about $45.

Personally I think the U2 is the best light for that price, except maybe the HDS EDC U85. Neither are super throwers but have adequate throw for most situations and the added flexibility of variable output, which greatly extends battery life plus avoids shocking dark adapted eyes.

Regulated LED lights can throw well as non-regulated ones. In fact the best-throwing LED light ever tested by Flashlightreviews.com is regulated, the Striker-VG. However I wouldn't recommend it due to several glitches mentioned in the review.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the LionCub,

why dont you go for the New Mr.Bulk light.

It is called the Chameleon and is regulated.
The Lh will fit on this one too :)

The price will be around 200 for the light.
And the ChamelHead will cost the same as the Lh 59 dolars if i
remember correctly.

There will also be Battery tubes that holds 168A Li-ion for
extended runtime.

Im not sure which webshop will retail the Chameleon but
im sure it will be easy to find once announced.

Lucky for me im on the Preorder list and will recieve mine soon ;)
I just love the small forfactor of the LC and now it will be regulated.
What more can one ask for.

It looks really slick too with the GlassBlasted Finish.

Have you ever considered to go HID?

cmacclel is offering the MiniHID at a very decent price at the Custom B/S/T.
It is not regulated but it maintains full power almost all the way.
This one is a Cutdown Mag1D size which runs on 4 CR123 or 3R123+dummy.

Benny

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had $300 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd look long and hard at an HID in a 2D Body but if I wanted something smaller, I'd look at an Aleph III running a U bin of some sort, hopefully a UW0J or a UX1L at minimum on a DB917 board and a two stage tailcap.

The same light but with a TW0K is under $200 so you'd have another $100 or so to buy some LiON cells or a second body or something like that.

Last edited:

Delvance

Enlightened
Hey all, thanks for the suggestions! Yah, i think i'll pick up a Streamlight TL3, still itching for a LED monster though lol. I'm sort of thinking about the EL elx6...has anyone got one and what do you think of it ?

I just had a look at a review of the Chameleon, damn that looks good! Review said around 200 will be produced, so i'm sure i'll miss out lol, i don't even know where to buy Mr. Bulk lights...=/

Oh, does anyone know of some good online shops to buy lights too ? I live in Australia and it seems most people are unwilling to ship down to here :ironic: