My new toy!! (Strion)

fire-stick

Enlightened
I bought the streamlight strion and I got some questions?

Is $85 a decent price for both ac & dc charger and the light?

Can I post pix on the forum or do you have to have certain privileges on the forum?

I want to do some beam shots. Is there a standard exposure that you all use? f-stop? shutter speed , ISO??

It said I needed to lubricate the o-rings every now and then, what should I use and how often should I do that?

PS- Thanks to all the people who recommended this light!!

thanks

scott

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! Very nice light for an incandescent.

As to price... I think if you are happy with the price, then you got a good price. I think I paid $65 for a very slightly used one, still in the box with both chargers.

Anyone can post pics - the more the merrier! But you are supposed to keep them at or under 800x600, 640x480 or 600x400 are even better and try to keep them somewhat compressed. Beamshots don't take up a lot of space, but for folks on dialup connections, the smaller, the better. Last I checked, you need to host the pics somewhere else as CPF does not allow for attachments the way some forums do. I use imageevent.com though there are countless other ones out there.

I have a couple of standard settings and locations I always do my beamshots from depending on the power of the light. For outdoor shots, I take them in my backyard, from 52 feet with camera settings of f2.8, 1 second, 28mm, ISO50. I don't think there are any standard settings but of course, be sure to use manual settings along with white balance and color if possible just so your own shots are comparable to each other.

And of course, once you have more lights, it's always great to have two lights so you can compare them and so folks out there that may not have both of your lights, but may have one of them, will be able to see how your light compares against the one that they have as far as beam tightness, throw, spillbeam etc...

For example, here are shots of the Strion in the top pic and a UX1L-modded 2C Maglite in the bottom shot.

For bright lights such as these, it is often useful to have indoor shots and outdoor shots since the outdoor shots aren't likely to capture the size of the spillbeam which many feel is a top priority when deciding on a light.

10%20Strion%20800.jpg

5%20937%20LiON%20UX1L%20800.jpg