Harbin, Chongqing China; two Benzene chemical plants explosions/releases

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have now been two chemical plant explosions in China releasing Benzene into the local rivers...

Harbin:

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]HARBIN, China (AP) - Premier Wen Jiabao visited this city in China's northeast Saturday and expressed concern for the 3.8 million residents enduring a fourth day without running water while they wait for a spill of toxic benzene in a nearby river to pass. [/font][font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]The government warned residents that water supplies, suspended to protect the city after a chemical plant explosion, would not resume until 11 p.m. Sunday, a full day later than initially planned.[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Chongqing:[/font]

Chinese media reported a second chemical plant explosion Friday, as officials evacuated hundreds of people living along a river tainted with toxic nitrobenzene from a similar blast two weeks ago.
The latest explosion happened Thursday in Chongqing, a city in southwestern China. One person died in the blast, which officials fear could also spill cancer-linked benzene into water supplies.

More than 6,000 people were evacuated from homes and businesses in the vicinity of the Chongqing plant in the hours following the explosion.

Similar things have happened in the US with chemical plant explosions and toxic leaks... Fortunately, it does not sound like very many people have been killed or injured yet. But millions have been affected. No idea what the residual effects to the water supplies will be.

Large refineries and chemical processing plants need great care in operations.

I hope that people learn...

-Bill

jhereg

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Hope it doesn't cause desperation among the Leaders of China.......

My first thought when I read about the 2nd one was terrorism. Has anyone seen any signs the explosions might have been deliberate? (This is purely speculation on my part.)