Two holes on flashlight head? What tool to use?

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think posting which light you are talking about could be helpful to getting the answer.

mut

petemalelis

Newly Enlightened
Im trying to remove the head assembly on a v2 led lenser 1 watt but the slug is threaded deep inside the bodytube like 3 inches so only a long spanner wrench or very long and narrow round nose pliers would work. any other ideas i dont really have enough money for some of those spanner wrenches listed

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a wooden dowel of the max size that will fit in the opening and drill the proper size holes in it spaced to fit your needs and use the size nail(brad) to fit.trim to the shortest length needed to do the job. Make sure to have enough penetration in the dowel to give it some strength.

Last edited:

petemalelis

Newly Enlightened
that sounds like a good idea. have you ever tryed this? one problem i see is the positive battery spring coming into the way of the dowel

Newly Enlightened
Maybe something like on of these. Like the one with the hole in the middle to go around the spring. These were made for specific applications. A couple a getting a bit tired and need new pins.

Newly Enlightened
The one on the left is for fittings where the spanner holes are at surface level. It was made from 1/4" key stock from a hardware store with a chain master link for connection on the end. It and others have drill rod pins hardened and ground to size.The large diameter one with the delrin end is for bezel rings to hold the ring in place and start it in the threads without touching the lens. The others are for use where things are recessed. The one with the delrin pilot goes through a 5/8" hole, holds a round nut to thread on axle, then retracts as the nut is tightened. I made them for frequent use specifically for optical work.

Not knowing what your light is like, I think one similar to the one in the right front with the hole would allow the spring to go up inside and still get a grip on the reflector. It may be possible to just use pins a bit longer so the tool body stays above the spring and the pins are bottomed out in the holes. A hardwood body and nails may work just fine for your application.