Woot! Streamlight 4AA Luxeon came in today! My thoughts inside...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am quite impressed with this thing. For the money its a freakin' steal. The throw is awesome. The only other LED light I have to compare it to is my PentagonLight L2 3W. I have a hard time telling which throws better myself. I think the SL4AALux might beat out the Penty L2 by just a hair in the throw department because of the bigger reflector and how tight the spot is - its a VERY tight beam! The Penty puts out noticeably MORE light, in the form of a much better spill. The SL has "adequate" spill however.
In the size/portability department the Penty L2 obviously wins here. The SL4AALux is WAY bigger. ( I realize they are different classes of lights ).
When it comes to tint, the Penty wins solidly again. THe SL4AALux has a noticeably blue tint to it. This is of course a product of the famed "Luxeon Lottery." Its' not terrible, though and I'm not complaining for the measly $23 I paid for it.

My conclusion is that its' a GREAT light for the money, a real winner in the "bang for the buck" catagory. If you've been on the fence considering this light - GET IT!

hikinhillary

Newly Enlightened
grinser2.gif
I just got a SL 4AA also... It's absolutely amazing. Its my favorite torch of all my other flashlights. I like it even better than my recently purchased Fenix L1P. Anyway, try shining it in your eyes, and let me know if it makes you sick and neausous, because it does me. Thanks.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that the Fenix L1P , and the 4AA Propolymer Lux have almost IDENTICAL beams.

They have about the same hot spot, corona, and angle of spill. It happens that this combination is what I love.

Quickbeams give the Fenix about 70% of the output compared to the SL.

I think I received an EXCEPTIONAL SL, it seems twice as bright as the Fenix.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I don't think you've an exceptional SL JohnK, mine also seems a hell of a lot brighter than my L1P. It definitely has MUCH greater throw.

I'd be hard pressed to pick my favourite out of the two, maybe the L1P for the cool form factor.

No doubt about it, some great and inexpensive lights came out this year!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PP Lux 4AA has a very cleverly-designed beam pattern. The corona is pretty bright so at close range almost appears like a hotspot. However the central hotspot is pretty small (narrow beam angle), so this throws very well. It makes excellent use of the somewhat limited output, thus appearing brighter than it really is. The Lux 4AA actually only has about 30% more output than the L1P, but it appears much brighter due to the reflector and beam pattern design. It has much greater throw.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
Where did you order your Streamlight? I ordered one from Fox-intl.com over a week ago. They said they wouldn't ship for 10-12 days (guess they were out of stock). :-(

jbay

Newly Enlightened
I got my SL 4aa from Fox International about 3 weeks ago. Very bright , super throw , good ergonomics, good run time . A great light and my favorite.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
WOW, I must have won the "luxeon lottery" because my 4AA Propoly has a nice white beam and is running on high capacity rechargeables to boot. :p

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto here. I've got a yellow and a black one. The yellow has more spill and very good throw, the black has a bluer beam with less spill and a tight hot spot with great throw. Both are fantastic deals for the price from Fox Int.

Everett

Newly Enlightened
you've convinced me, mine shipped at 4:30 today. i'm pumped after reading the 57 or so score on flashlightreviews' throw comparison chart.

jclarksnakes

Enlightened
I like the SL PP 4AA luxeon so much that I have two for myself and I ordered 7 more from Fox to give away for Christmas. This light is IMO the very best buy in a flashlight.
Jeff

Everett

Newly Enlightened
i just got mine today
HOLY CRAP!
the throw on this thing is absolutely amazing! the head was a bit bigger than i expected, but it's worth it for that throw. looking into the reflector (with the light off haha, i already got one headache from doing that when i first opened it) i can see all yellow, meaning the LED is perfectly centered. i also noticed that the entire reflector assembly is made of solid aluminum--this thing will never get warm at all. i love it!

DigMe

Enlightened
I asked my brother for one of these for Christmas. I hope he comes through. I think it will be a perfect light for hunting and going to and from the stand and for keeping around the house. I don't have any really good small lights that aren't battery drainers (xenons/cr123) and my only small LED is crap. So this will definitely fill a gap for me.

brad cook

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
The SL 4aa PP luxeon and the L1P are the last two flashlights I'm allowing myself to buy this year cause they are too awsome and inexpensive not to get. Heard so much good stuff about the SL I can't wait to get it.:rock:

MVB

Newly Enlightened
AtomicX said:
WOW, I must have won the "luxeon lottery" because my 4AA Propoly has a nice white beam and is running on high capacity rechargeables to boot. :p
I have couple of blue tinted luxeon lights (and one with a green tint...), but my 4AA Propoly Luxeon is not one of them. It has a very white beam color, and I really like the throw.

It's the one I reach for if I want a "full size" flashlight, rather than a smaller EDC type light.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might as well consider getting the SL 3C Luxeon, the runtime is fricking amazing! And the size is just perfect for a "big" flashlight.

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine yesterday. I can't believe the output. However, I do not think the throw is *quite* as good as my modified 3-D Mag (has a 3W Luxeon drop in). But the beam pattern is MUCH better and it is so much smaller and lighter. I really like it better.

How does the 3C version compare output-wise? It looks like its about the same, with a better runtime.