Streamlight 4AA Luxeon or UK 4AA LED

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
I work for a cable co. and am currently in search for a light for our techs that can mount to a hard hat and can not go over $30.00. My question is which would you consider to be the best light and why? I understand the streamlight is brighter with shorter runtime where is the UK is dimmer but with better runtime. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
As cheap as AA batteries are, I'd go for the Streamlight 4AA ProPoly Luxeon due to the higher output. Using NiMh AA batteries would let you run even cheaper. I own one, and it will run a solid 4 hours on a set of NiMh batteries, which is plenty of time for me.

nirad

Enlightened
Ditto on that recommendation, The SL PP 4AA is one of the best throwing , long running "economical" lights I own. Great value for what you get!!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
kandykane said:"...a light for our techs that can mount to a hard hat and can not go over $30.00..."

For a general flashlight I think the Propoly Lux 4AA is best. It has great output and decent runtime. You have the option of alkaline, NiMH, or e2 lithium AAs, with the latter two giving longer run time.

The Lux 4AA has adequate spill and a good corona, but beam is basically narrow. IOW it's not optimal for close work, although can be used for that.

A broader beam light for $29 is the Streamlight Jr. Good run time, Minimag size. Overall not good as the Lux 4AA, but may better fit your need:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_jr_luxeon.htm

However if hard hat usage is frequent, you may want a headlamp. These can also be hand held as a flashlight, just not optimal for that. Examples:

Petzl MYO:
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=PETE26PN

Princeton Tec EOS:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_eos.htm
http://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.php?Sku=PRIEOSBK

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
The UK 4AA eLED comes with wide loops which mean that it can be easily secured to a helmet (or belt etc). In fact there are accessories available at UK's website http://www.uwkinetics.com/ for helmet mounting etc

The Propoly is a fantastic light, but has a smooth body which might make it a little trickier to securely helmet mount.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also depends on what you want to do with the light.

I love my ProPoly 4AA but it is TOO bright for any close up work. It is great for spotlighting items at a distance. If the work is mostly inside in rooms and close up, I'd go with the dimmer UK 4AA eLed. I own both and I'd use the UK for camping or work around the house. It is also more compact and IS made for helmet attachment.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
ikendu said:
I love my ProPoly 4AA but it is TOO bright for any close up work....
I basically agree. It depends on the usage. If 80% is helmet-mounted close work, the UK is better. The UK's long run time is also nice.

OTOH if 80% is hand held, often looking under crawl spaces, across the length of attics, inspecting cables on telephone poles from the ground, the Propoly 4AA might be better.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the SL4AALux. Its, just too good for the money. I'm sure there is a way you can diffuse the beam for close-up use. I'm investigating that myself...

steve_vance

Enlightened
kandykane said:
I work for a cable co. and am currently in search for a light for our techs that can mount to a hard hat and can not go over $30.00. My question is which would you consider to be the best light and why? I understand the streamlight is brighter with shorter runtime where is the UK is dimmer but with better runtime. Any thoughts?

Two entirely different lights: the SL is much heavier. My concern about the SL id that it produces so much light, that it might produce glare and washout when used for a "work" situation. It would be an ideal light to take camping, but because it's SO bright, it's not the light I would choose for close-un, "detail" work. Of course, it depends on what your typical ise would be. If you're outside a lot, and need to inspect the cable going into the house, etc and need distance throw, buy the SL. but idf you're looking behing panels and at wiring harnesses, get the UK. I have both, and that's my vote

lingpau

Newly Enlightened
Hi KandyKane! Just a thought- Buy one of each and have your people try them out. Keep the one less liked as a spare. You will definitely make the right choice this way. I have bought the SL 4AA PP Lux from Fox International and it only takes 3 days or less to get them since you live in PA like me. Best of luck.

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
These lights will be used in a lot of situations. Outside doing pole work close up. Looking up at the pole, cable, and the house from the ground. In attics, crawls spaces, behind entertainment centers, and just about eveything in between.

pec50

Enlightened
I would also suggest you try several lights to determine the best fit for your needs given that these lights may be short or long focus. And, I would suggest you checkout brightguy.com and use the keyword search function for hardhat mountable lights. Brightguy has been a long time supporter of these forums and will be able to answer many of your questions if you call.

redduck

Newly Enlightened
Get the SL, and in addition get a Dorcy 1AAA(under $6 from walmart) for close up work.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
redduck said:
Get the SL, and in addition get a Dorcy 1AAA(under $6 from walmart) for close up work.

I agree, something like that might be better.

Another 2-part solution, although it breaks the $30 ceiling:

(1) Streamlight Propoly Lux 4AA ($23.00 from http://www.fox-intl.com/), PLUS

(2) River Rock 0.5w LED headlamp, about $15 from Target:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_headlamp.htm

This would cover both situations -- close up, far away, also provide a hands-free solution with good run time. It's modestly over the $30 limit, but you have such improved utility, IMO it's worth it.

Last edited:

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
It seems like most everyone likes the streamlight, im just a little nervouse since a lot of the use will be in close range. The streamlight seems on the large size. Do you feel it wouldnt be an issue mounted onto a hardhat.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a tough call. the Propoly 4AA isn't that heavy or large, but mounted on a helmet (presumably one side) for a long period -- I don't know.

I just tried my Propoly 4AA up close, and it's mostly not that bad. I wouldn't use it up close with dark adapted eyes at night, but for most circumstances it seems OK, just not optimal.

One advantage of a tight beam is it's usable up close, just not optimal, plus also at longer range. By contrast a broad beam is only useable up close, not at longer range.

Whatever light you get, I'd suggest getting just ONE initially to evaluate before you buy a bunch.

As previously suggested, my best recommendation would be two lights -- the Propoly 4AA plus the $15 River Rock 0.5w headlamp.

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys feel im asking to much for these lights. I was first looking at headlights. The PT EOS fit the needs based off of reviews. I picked one up to evaluate it and it just doesnt seem that bright and it doesnt have much throw. We dont carry CR123 at work so im limited to something that uses either AA or AAA. I was set on this headlight, but after playing with it I started to look again. Thanks guys for all of your input so far. I have a budget of $30.00 on each lights so I know my options are limited.

Last edited: