A2 or U2?

muitah

Newly Enlightened
After several sleep deprived nights and a lot of traveling it seems I've lost my SF A2 somewhere along the line. Having carried it daily for over a year now, it served it purpose to find many an item hidden, lost, or dropped around the house and at work, while also being equally as useful outdoors at night.

So my question is, being in such a situation, would most of you purchase another A2 (which I thought was fantastic) or grab a U2 instead?

fasteddie

Enlightened
My A2 was stolen out of my car and I replaced it with a U2. I liked that U2 so much I bought a second one. The second one is slightly green, not as bright as the first, and has the donut hole. Big difference from the first. I do find myself missing the A2, even though I thought it was never bright enough. Hard to beat an incandescent bulb for reading addresses and street signs from a distance. I'm also finding that two levels are enough for me. Anything more than 2 levels is just for fun... not that theres anyting wrong with that.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Flashlightreviews.com, the U2 has nearly the same output and throw as the A2. The U2 has longer run time on both max and min output, and the U2 min output goes lower than the A2.

The U2 variable output gives a wide choice of brightness/runtimes. E.g, just one notch down from max and run time increases to 2.5 hr, yet output visually is still very bright.

The U2 bezel is larger diameter so it won't fit some places the A2 will. The U2 is slightly longer.

There's been a lot of variation reported in U2 beam pattern, and several reports of bad tail switches. Surefire makes good on all these, but you often must return your light for them to fix/replace it.

My first U2 had a severe donut beam pattern and intermittent flickering (maybe bad tail switch). My replacement only has a mild donut pattern, no flickering, white beam tint, and superb output -- well over 100 lumens.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you carried you other one daily for over a year, then I would get another A2 as well. Be sure to tighten the clip and keep a lanyard or some means of attachment though!!! :awman:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy both?!?!?!? I am seriously wanting a A2 right now to help compliment my U2.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really answered your own question. You had an A2 and loved it. I could not agree more. The regulated incan is a thing of beauty. For an EDC, the dual mode is very useful. To me, it is a nearly perfect EDC.

The U2 is a great light. If I had to part with one, I'd keep the A2 no question. Also the U2 is too big for pocket carry IMO.

Sorry you lost your first A2. It's painful. Get another and consider a good Ripoffs holster with their good metal clip. If you pocket carry, attach a lanyard to a belt loop.

Mark

cy

Flashaholic
I've got both and use U2 way more than A2.
my U2 puts out way more lumens than A2 with 2x runtime.

but A2 is soooo nice to play with...
another vote fo getting both :D

lightplay22

Enlightened
If you really need the strengths of the incan for what you use your light for, the u2 is going to come up lacking. The a2 is smaller but the u2 has a tremendous range of versatility which may be useful to you. I'd go back with the a2 and plan to get a u2 or gladius anyway!

AlanH

Enlightened
Thank you all soooo much !

I just ordered an A2 (My First one) and was all pleased waiting for it to arrive, now with the U2 comparisons, I guess I'll be buying one of those as well. This is one expensive forum is you ain't got no self control.

Dammit, now where is the Credit Card ?

PS.
In the UK the main site offering these lights, charges for them, (at todays exchange rate)
A2-$267.60
U2-$391.00
Now that's what I call import tax and duty !
And the Government wonders why we buy from abroad !

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightplay22 said:
If you really need the strengths of the incan for what you use your light for, the u2 is going to come up lacking....tremendous range of versatility
According to Flashlightreviews.com, the U2 has 96% the throw of an A2.

However incandescents generally have a more favorable color spectrum that aids object discrimination, even at the same lux.

I don't know how typical my U2 is, but ceiling/wall lux meter reflection tests indicate it's putting out way over 100 lumens, maybe 120. The output is at least double my HDS U60, which should be calibrated to 60 lumens.

In fact with new batteries in each light, the ceiling lux meter reflection of my U2 matches my incandescent Streamlight TL-3. However the TL-3 throws much better because beam is more tightly focused, and it puts much less power in the spill beam. The U2 diverts a lot of power to its spill beam. The U2 throws fairly well, but I'd roughly estimate the max effective range is about 70 yards, so it's no spot light.

As you said the U2 versatility is tremendous. On level 3 (two notches from max), its output nearly matches my HDS U60 on max, yet U2 runtime is 5 hours at that setting.

kukula

Enlightened
I own both. I use the U2 more coz it can run on rechargeables. But when outdoors, I still prefer an incan esp since they are better in color rendetions. You did mention that you have been using an A2 for over a year now and find it great. Then might as well grab another A2

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Don't mean to be a troll here... but neither.

Buy a 9P for $60, brand new, I just did. It throws farther than both the a2 and the u2, puts out more light than both, and isnt THAT much bigger than either.

Then take the money you saved and buy a case (50) of battery station batteries & have batteries for EVER.

I love my 9p, I even like the oval beam, as it is a BETTER way to scan dark fields at night.

BUT, YMMV. The 9p works for StainlessSteel, it might not work for you. I never need a light inside a room. I ALWAYS need a light when I am outside: with friends, alone, in the summer, in the winter. I always need the ability to THROW more than anything... and Incans, specifically the 9p, are great at this.

And yes. I AM trying to find a way to EDC an SRTH. ;)

Have a good one.

SS

Geologist

Enlightened
The 9P and the C3 are great lights - I use them as well. But the A2 is very very sweet. Once you've had regulation - you never want to go back! Even the larger hotwires are moving to soft start/full regulation! Hotwires live!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both.

The U2 is a better light than I imagined, but...

The A2 still is my EDC, because I can carry in a pocket with the smaller bezel.

Both are great lights, but that WHITE dense A2 beam is SOOOOO cool!

Bill

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I have both, but A2 is one of my top choices for the EDC.

I guess it all comes to personal choices, but for EDC purpose, A2's size is simply more suitable for EDCing. Livining in an urban area, I hardly use have a real use for my EDC more than 10-15 minutes a day(of course, playing with them is a different story), so the batteries does last for a week or two on a regular basis and the cost is ok to bare.

But if you are using it on a very regular basis(maybe 1-2 hours a day) and then U2 could be a decent choice too, since it can use rechargable(pila or 18650) to fire up.

Anyhow, both are great chioces. :)