Pelican M6 Incand problems - Need help

SJACKAL

Enlightened
I guess its the older version where the focus is adjustable.

The Constant-On does not work perfectly anymore, although the Momentary-On never fail to work. What happened was that when the tail was rotated into "Constant-On" the light would either:

i. not turn on at all
ii. turns on and but turns off by itself immediately
iii. turns on and dims significantly

Sometimes it works as it should but most oftenly the problems sets in when the tailcap was unscrewed and put on again, eg. after a battery change, I had to remove the tailcap and replaced it several times to get it to work properly, only to fail again after sometime. I suspect there must be some connection problems within the tailcap, rather obvious it seems.

The Lamp Assembly was properly and tightly screwed in.

Any idea how to fix it? Thanx in advance.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Have you checked and cleaned all contacts involved? IIRC, the contact is made on the bottom of the tube, not on the threads (but I can't check right now).

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
If GreenLED's good suggestions do not fix the problem, then you probably have one of the infamously-problematic Pelican M6 tailcaps. If you use the CPF "Search" button here, you'll find this discussed in a few older threads.

This is a pretty good "throw" flashlight for the money, but the older M6 Incan models (like yours and mine) do sometimes have tailcaps with slightly-short threading and other fussy issues. The newer versions seem to have fixed this via a new tailcap design. My new Peli M6 3 Watt LED, for example, works just fine.

You have two solutions available:

1. Call Pelican Customer Service:
They're very nice... and good. They'll give you a CS Return #. Then, you just send them your light and they'll fix it, or replace the light... free. This will cost you shipping, and you'll lose the light for a month.

2. Replace the Peli tailcap with a Surefire 6P/C2 series tailcap:
Yep, they fit. It doesn't look quite right, but it works, perhaps even better. They're available from Lighthound for $13 to $30, depending on which variation.

Good luck.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Have you checked and cleaned all contacts involved? IIRC, the contact is made on the bottom of the tube, not on the threads (but I can't check right now).

Yeah I did, except for the tailcap's innards as I don't want to void the warranty yet, in fact is rather new. I emailed pelican, and am awaiting reply.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Thanx a lot for the information greenLED, Tonkinwarrior. I emailed Pelican about it, I hope they can give me a good solution. Sending back the light isnt good cause I am not in CONUS and I had to incur more cost. Thus far Surefire had sent me replacement parts without much questions nor requiring me to return the light. I hope Pelican's customer care can be as good as theirs.

Yeah I got an extra 6P tailcap lying around, but it looks odd and I guess I can't do it.

If all else fails I would probably get one of those clickie mods for the M6 from flashlightlens.com

The cost of this upgrade would be only be slightly more than the cost of sending the light back to Pelican.

Xenon

Enlightened
There's a Pelican agent at Ubi, I've been there before and they do repair for all lights. Lots of lights, bulbs, accessories as well as Pelican boxes and pick & pluck foam there. If you have any problem with the tailcap, we can arrange one day to go over there.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Xenon said:
There's a Pelican agent at Ubi, I've been there before and they do repair for all lights. Lots of lights, bulbs, accessories as well as Pelican boxes and pick & pluck foam there. If you have any problem with the tailcap, we can arrange one day to go over there.

Would you PM me the address please?

R_L

Newly Enlightened
Xeon & SJACKAL : when r u guys going to the ubi agent? do u think they sell the pm6 3w led?

SJACKAL

Enlightened
If I got the address, I would go whenever it is convenient for me. I might not go at all if it doesn't sounds promising on the phone. Thus far, Pelican did not reply my email other than those auto-generated fake replies.

Xenon

Enlightened
I know exactly how to go there but dun know the exact address, I'll find out then let you know. The last time I went, I saw they're repairing lights from the Civil Defence, the guy there also has a keen interest in lights but I don't think he's a CPF member here.

Btw its opposite Mcwell venture in Ubi, when I went there last time, I was like a kid in the candy store, the whole showroom floor are all accessories, lights, holster, pelican cases, foams etc. But dunno if its still the same today.

Btw, the M6 I bought it there.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
Anyone knows if it is possible to transplant the innards of a SF 6P tailcap into the PM6? I got extra 6P tailcaps.

criollo

Enlightened
Below is the contact details of the pelican's Singapore

Marvid International Pte Ltd.
Techniques Centre
67 UBI Crescent, #01-06
Singapore

Phone........: 011-65-684-24332
Fax No.......: 011-65-684-21225
Contact......: Marcia Teng
E-mail: [email protected]

Daniel is the guy who does the fixing.

Cheers

SJACKAL

Enlightened
My patience runs thin, none of the emails I sent gets replied.

Pelican had left me a very bad impression and I felt cheated by their "Unconditional Lifetime guarantee of excellence" and their "You break it we replace it forever" claims.

I am going to calm down now and give them another week. I am going to send another email too.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
If anyone knows of any real decent pelican email address that I can get a reply, or email address of a pelican staff whom can make things happen for my problem, please kindly let me know. I appreciate any help.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
If it's the inside components of the switch that is giving you problems, I have a couple sets of switch internals that I'm not using. I'll send you one if you like free of charge. PM me if interested.

Xenon

Enlightened
I'm so sorry this has to happen Sjackal, besides taking the components from darkzero, I think Pelican Singapore has to be more responsible and response to your emails. I think there will be many of us Pelican owners in Sg who may need their service in future.

I'm not sure if I can drop by there tomorrow, I'll check it out whats their email address when I'm there.

SJACKAL

Enlightened
No problem Jeff, I can't do much here except hope for them to reply coz as you know the light is for my friend and he had taken it away for a camp trip, would be away till 8 Dec, so I can't go down without the light either.

Darkzero's offer is rain in the dought. Thanx.

Latest posts