What one light would you grab in a catastrophy?

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

This is a little off beat, but last I night I watched War of the Worlds on DVD. Tom Cruise has to run from town to town to escape aliens and save his family. It got me wondering, what one light would I take with me in an emergency?

I think:

It has to be LED.
It has to be on the small side.
It has to be bulletproof
It has to be AA or CR123, then you could take one set of batteries.
It has to have long runtime, and be bright.
It has to be Waterproof

So, in a perfect world, cost no object, what would you take?

I think I would take a Surefire A2. (almost chose an UK 4AA LED)

Blue

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Of what I own at this time, probably a Streamlight Pro Poly 3C 10LED.

Long runtime, decent brightness and a comprehensive clip to attach it to my jeans.

But honestly... who among US is only gonna have one light????

OH YEAH! Welcome to CPF!!! Buckle your seatbelt 'cause it's gonna be a rough ride!

jtice

Flashaholic
I would say my Surefire U2, but you arent going to find batteries for it.

So, I would go with the SL 4AA Luxeon, and UK 4AA LED.

Radio

Modulated Moderator
I would grab my Grundig LED emergency hand crank that has AM/FM/SW as well, no batteries, the led light burns for a very long time on a single minute of cranking when the radio portion is off.

JohnnyDeep

Newly Enlightened
McLuxIII PD.
40h on low and very bright on high.
Extremely rugged and reliable. One CR123 cell.

Jan

Bluehinder

Newly Enlightened
No, no, no, here's what I mean

Hi,

I know we all have a million lights, but the fun part of the game is to have to commit, factoring in all variables. For instance, I am not going to be fighting aliens carrying a bunch of D-cells.

This kind of focuses the argument on the pros and cons of flashlights.

Remember, you are also carrying other supplies, water, etc.

I also did this with knives, and that was harder. I chose a Sebenza, large.

The SL3C with 10 leds was almost my choice with 355 hours runtime, but is too big.

Blue

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, thats a tuffie. I probably would grab my PentagonLight L2-3W and of course an azzload of batteries. Basically I would just grab my Bail Out Bag... I have 2 boxes of CR123a's in there along with a SF6P, and my Penty when I'm not using it. Other than that, I always have a SF spares carrier on me.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Umm, only one? I carry three or four with me usually. Okay, just one...

My LionCub. It's my favorite. Yeah, it's best on rechargeables, but I can get many hours out of it on low, and run primary if needed.

The PD III is a good choice as well, and runs well on primaries or rechargeables, as I understand it.

Of course if I'm dressed, I have my U2 in holster, sometimes the A2 beside it in holster, and in the left pocket Orb Raw, LionCub and clipped to the pocket the PDIII. I'm a Lumen Dork, sure, but a well prepared Lumen Dork!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night-Ops Gladius.

For fighting aliens, you need a fighting light ;)

In all seriousness, the Gladius runs on lithium primaries or Li-Ion 17670s, which I can recharge with solar power. The low setting gets ~400 hrs with primaries. You might not need to change batteries for weeks or months, even with a few minutes worth of bright beam thrown in there.

The McLuxIII-PD is good too, maybe a better choice given size and use of a single cell. It also runs on Li-Ions.

Second choice would be my venerable (original) CMG Infinity. That way I can scavenge batteries if I'm on the move. I would actually take both of mine, red and white.

Scott

TorchMan

Enlightened
jtice said:
I would say my Surefire U2, but you arent going to find batteries for it.

When we had the Hurrican Rita scare here, all the common batteries were sold out at the places I looked. The had CR123s though.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Only one
grinser2.gif
that's easy it would be a:

Infinity Ultra-G Princeton Tec Corona Surefire A2 L2 M6
au.gif

or if you don't like this one how about a:

Arc AA Princeton Tec Yukon HL Surefire A2 L2 M6
biggrin.gif

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I thought about the situation in the Superdome. I would go with the SL lux pro ploy because it being an led and perhaps my Scorpion and some kind of a Mag light because of the extra bulbs. Maybe also a gerber trio because of the long battery life.

VWTim

Enlightened
If I'm not counting my TL-2 tac light I keep on my belt. My grab and go light would be my 3xLux3 2D mag light. It runs of 3C's for a long time and I can get batteries anywhere.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think there's no substitute for a 6D Mag if you want a light to clobber Martians with.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why you ALWAYS keep spare batts on you. I can't imagine being caught in a disaster without a good light.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr said:
I think there's no substitute for a 6D Mag if you want a light to clobber Martians with.

I don't know how the recent movie ended but if it is the same as the book, the proper light would be a pen-light from an intern who has been working in an older hospital for a while and done all the rotations.

It's hard to beat MRSA.
(The comment at this site "MRSA infections most often occur in patients in hospitals and are rarely seen among the general public." is no longer true CAMRSA (Community Acquired) is moving into schools and health clubs.)

Geologist

Enlightened
Top 4:

1) Lion Cub (with Lion Head) and 168A tube
2) A2
3) Eternalight Elite Maxx
4) C3

I know I am only supposed to list 1, but usually these are on my person or in my EDC bag. I also carry spare primaries and spare RCR123s/168As. If I could not use rechargables, then I would take the A2 and the Eternalight. From reading, a PD sounds good, but I've never carried one!

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
Regarding the original criteria, why an LED? Given enough of a knock, an LED or it's circuit board could die... I have spare lamps for all my Surefires, and enough batteries for a long trip. I'd probably grab my Surefire M2, but with a little packing time, I'd also take a Krill light, and my ARC LSH-S. I have a 'bag of lights' which has most of my less often used flashlights in it, I'd go with that if I had time (SF M3, M4, Z3, 9P, Krill, lots of batteries and lamps).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would grab any gun,
and when the aliens come by, blow them off, and rip them for their superstrong, long lasting, variable output, recharge in sunlite and when not in use - super duper lights.
Just after I got their genious handguns (recharge in sunlite and when not in use), for
kicking the one inside the vehilce with the good seachlight and the heavy gun (You bet how these recharge),
to finally arrive at the main Lamp of the big ship.

..unfortunatley we re not allowed here to own arms, so I ll more likely be just some snack wielding some AA sized lights.

Latest posts