What a difference a bulb makes!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
This post is about the Nite-Ize LED Drop-in for MiniMag 2AA.

Picked one up today and put it in my never used Mag AA. Compared it to my other Mag AA with the regular Mag bulb. Wow! What a difference. I nice smooth clean white light. Just enough to use for close up tasks. It's running on two rechargable AA's. I now really like my Mag AA. Is this all it takes? It makes me wonder what a real sammie will do.

Talk about a loaner light. You can get the Mag AA and the LED upgrade for $15.00 out the door.

Anyone know the runtime of this setup with alkaline batteries?

LeDfLaShEr

Newly Enlightened
As you said, it's a sweet little upgrade. Doesn't put out a whole lot of light, but it makes a nice car light- perfect for small tasks that don't require throw.

I've also used the microstar side-emitting drop in. Brighter LED- but of course more expensive.

Have you looked at the "idiots guide to minimag mods" that someone posted here. It's a great guide with great suggestions.

I'm still wondering what a real sammie will do too. I've been too cheap to buy one so far, but eventually I'll break down and have to buy one.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug at flashlightreviews.com tested it at 10 hours 50 minutes to 50% brightness on alkalines. I've only tested it with 2500 mAh Energizer NiMHs and got about 13 hours to what I estimated was 50% but that was just a guess comparing it to another Nite Ize on fresh cells.

pizzaman

Enlightened
NR,

My "maggies" were slated to sell, give away or throw away. I love the looks and solid build, but the poor run time, sick yellow light, and artifact ridden beam just didn't cut it.

The Nite-Ize LED upgrade saved them from the trash heap. Both cars now have a Nite-Ize mini-mag loaded with lithium AAs. Perfect map light for a vehicle.

TR

CLHC

Flashaholic
I tried these NiteIze drop-ins and after about a minute of use I gave it to my father. Guess I got spoiled with the NexGen750BB that I have running in the other three. Just want to say that there simply is a BIG DIFFERENCE! With the way how my eyes perceives the light's output, it's comparable to the SureFire E2e if not brighter. Others may say otherwise, but I'm referring to the ones in my possesion. Enjoy!

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:
I tried these NiteIze drop-ins and after about a minute of use I gave it to my father. Guess I got spoiled with the NexGen750BB that I have running in the other three. Just want to say that there simply is a BIG DIFFERENCE! With the way how my eyes perceives the light's output, it's comparable to the SureFire E2e if not brighter. Others may say otherwise, but I'm referring to the ones in my possesion. Enjoy!

CHC and JimH, bring one to the Bay Area get-together next week. I'll bring the Nite-Ize for a comparison. I can see the NexGen and TLE-5.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hello there NotRegulated!

Yes I will bring the 3[M]iniMag and the looks like stock MiniMag with the NexGen750s and some others. . .

AuroraLite

Enlightened
LeDfLaShEr said:
As you said, it's a sweet little upgrade. Doesn't put out a whole lot of light, but it makes a nice car light- perfect for small tasks that don't require throw.

I've also used the microstar side-emitting drop in. Brighter LED- but of course more expensive.

Have you looked at the "idiots guide to minimag mods" that someone posted here. It's a great guide with great suggestions.

I'm still wondering what a real sammie will do too. I've been too cheap to buy one so far, but eventually I'll break down and have to buy one.

LeDfLaShEr,

Haha...that was my humble Dummy Reference Guide to Minimag Mod, if you do like the NiteIze drop-ins, then you should see what a sammie can do. It does turn an ordinary Minimag into a totally different animal. :naughty:

As for the comparison of the TLE5, Newbeam 5mmX3 drop in and BBNG500 sammie, you should be able to find some of those pictures in the link above. :)

KenTaylor

Newly Enlightened
I purchased one of these from Lowe's for $9 which included a replacement tail cap with a switch. The swich is a little lame (loose, rattles, weak spring) but it works. I ran mine for 12+ hours continuous on a set of NiMH 2500 cells and it was still usfully bright.

sniper

Enlightened
NotRegulated said:
This post is about the Nite-Ize LED Drop-in for MiniMag 2AA.
Anyone know the runtime of this setup with alkaline batteries?

No; mine is still on the first set of batteries, and so is my wife's and my granddaughter's. Maybe in a month or two... :candle: