Does Fenix L1P worth 50% more L1 ?

gilles44

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I would like to buy a Fenix L1? and I wonder if L1P is really better than L1 to justify 50% extra cost.($45 vs $30 at Lighthound).

Thanks.

Gilles

wwglen

Enlightened
MHO is that if you can find the L1 in stock then then the L1P is probably not worth it if you are going to use it a lot.

The HA3 is nice but once you drop it a few times... well it gets nicked up.

That being said I got one L1P(wanted the HA3) and just ordered another because I couldn't find any L1's in stock.

wwglen

alberto

Enlightened
Depends on whether the difference between 38 and 46 lumens is important to you. However, you can look at it from the L1P point of view -- that you save only 33% by buying the L1. Or by downgrading to the L1 you lose 8 lumens, about the equivalent of one whole Mini Maglite. $15 for 8 lumens is not a bad deal, IMHO.

Timson

Enlightened
Regardless of how much better the L1P may be over the L1 (Or not) - If you're anything like me, if you get the L1 - you'll always be wondering how much better it could have been and will probably end up buying an L1P anyway just to satisfy your curiosity/obsession.
Get the L1P and save yourself $30 (Reverse logic)

Tim

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Money will be tight for the next 18 months or so.....
So I was thinking.....
I tend to leave my fingerprints on eyeglasses, camera lenses so the AR coating will not help with a fingerprint on it.
I intend to use the pouch, keep the light away from my keys. I do not expect mine to see 'rough use'. I can probably get away without the HA-III.
The L1 will probably get all the 'rejected LEDs' from L1P production. I will end up on the wrong end of the Luxeon lottery. Maybe if I do not do A/B comparisons with my other lights.....

I am logged in to get a name and address so I can send a money order for something I saw over at B/S/T While waiting to save my $15 I am spending a lot more elsewhere.
Buying the L1 will save me a little money.
Only quitting CPF will save me a lot.
But I like it around here too much to do that.

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
alberto said:
Depends on whether the difference between 38 and 46 lumens is important to you. However, you can look at it from the L1P point of view -- that you save only 33% by buying the L1. Or by downgrading to the L1 you lose 8 lumens, about the equivalent of one whole Mini Maglite. $15 for 8 lumens is not a bad deal, IMHO.

While these are the values sited by the manufacturer, I'm sorry to say that they have been confirmed by independant testers as being highly inflated. I'm not sure about the L1, but the L1P is around 25 lumens. Still, this is an impressive value for a 1AA light. I would go with the L1P for the more efficient, hand-picked emitter over the other little finish and lense niceties.

If you are not "anal" about your lights, the L1 will probably not LOOK a whole lot dimmer and it perhaps represents a greater value overall. Whichever you choose, I expect you will be happy- Fenix has really done a good job with these.

gilles44

Newly Enlightened
You convinced me, I will go for L1P.
Where is the best place (I mean cheaper) to buy a L1P today ?

Gilles

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only own two Fenix lights, one L1P 2.5 and one L1 (non-premium) 2.0 and I can say with certainty that other than a slight tint difference, I cannot tell them apart from the beam or brightness. I appreciate the glass lens but I don't personally value the AR coating on a light such as this and the HAIII coating on my L1P has proven to have less than the durability of the ARC/Surefire/Inova HAIII coating though I like it's appearance.

The big thing is, nobody has the L1 non-premium in stock so it's not really an option at this point.

I'd go more the other way... with a good natural color HAIII coating and an S-bin Lux I, and with a good clip, but minus the AR coating would be worth $55-$60 in my opinion.

warpdrive

Enlightened
Are they ever going to stock the L1's again....it seems that the L1P is the hot seller right now, and once the initial frenzy of demands starts to wane, only then will they start making L1's again.

It's sort of like car sales, they can say: "starting at $34999", when in reality, those base models are nowhere to be found, and they REALLY want you to buy the loaded leather package SE model for an extra $5000

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I've got the L1P and L1 (both v2.5). Both are great lights!

Side by side, the L1 has a slightly bluer beam, with a wider and less intense hot spot - maybe a little less throw. Both have the same approximate run time.

I carry my L1 in my pocket - that way I'll be $15 less annoyed if I drop/scratch/wreck it :)