5w help

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
hi

Not being on this scean for a while I fell behind ...

Hoping someone might have a recomendation as to what is a good 2 (123)cell like 5w led light.

My first choice would have be the surefire U i love it's looks and good company/&construction but 300$ is out side of my price range for now

what comes close to it's looks and quality in the 5w led range??

any suggestions appreciated

thanks

rmacias

Enlightened
photo2000a said:
hi

Not being on this scean for a while I fell behind ...

Hoping someone might have a recomendation as to what is a good 2 (123)cell like 5w led light.

My first choice would have be the surefire U i love it's looks and good company/&construction but 300$ is out side of my price range for now

what comes close to it's looks and quality in the 5w led range??

any suggestions appreciated

thanks

Be sure to check out OpticsHQ, there is an ongoing group discount for CPF members. You should be able to pick it up for a little over $200, maybe this is closer to your price range.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/94341&page=1&highlight=u2+group

RJM

Lexus

Enlightened
Hello photo2000a,

if you want to stick with Surefire, have a look at the L4 or L2. They are $160 and $165 at Surefire website.

A cheaper solution is the Nuwai TM-301X-5. You can get it for $64.50 at EliteLed. Not surefire quality though.

Last edited:

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
just wanted to say thanks very much to all those that replyed now i have to figure out whats the primary difference between l2 and l4

i am thinking the l2 has more total lumines and has adj output , missing anything elese??

thanks

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
photo2000a said:
now i have to figure out whats the primary difference between l2 and l4

i am thinking the l2 has more total lumines and has adj output , missing anything elese??
I think you're over simplifying it.

L2 may be driven harder than the L4, so on average it may have greater output. However, both are Lux V with basically the same reflector, and the lottery applies to both. I think it is very realistic to expect that some L4 are brighter than some L2 (and vice versa).

Two level output can be a pretty big deal. Especially if you've been in a darkened room for a while. A Lux V on full blast can be a lot to take if you've just woken up in the middle of the night. A Lux V will also eat batteries in a hurry if there is no low mode available.

The L2 is a bit longer than the L4. This is a downside for some people who want to be able to carry it around in their pocket all the time.

The L4 will run nicely on rechargeable li-ion cells, even R123 sized. You can get a shorty one-cell body for a really pocketable L4. You can't do that with an L2.

I'd be hard pressed to tell you which one will better fit your needs. You'd better just get both. :)

photo2000a

Newly Enlightened
thanks very much for your help , both would be nice i am waiting to hear from the vendor hopfully soon

the part about the lumnes that thru me was as you say both have same V but the surefire web page listed the l4 as like 65lumnes and l2 at 100 so i couldn't figure it

guess i'll narrow it down to either a l2 or u2 and a belt pouch

wish i could get both as you said ty

thanks very much :)

goke

Newly Enlightened
If you have a 2 cell SF already you could look at buying a LED head. I just bought BOG 5W ($55) for my 6P and I'm quite pleased with it. You can get a KL5 head for $100.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
photo2000a said:
...My first choice would have be the surefire U i love it's looks and good company/&construction but 300$ is out side of my price range for now...
The U2 is tremendously useful because of variable output. I can't stress enough how useful that feature is, even if only two-stage.

As stated you can probably get it closer to $200 from OpticsHQ.

However a possible alternative is the Vari-Brite 52L, a very powerful Lux V light with variable output, for about $70:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/re...ri-brite52l.htm
http://emilionworkshop.com:3072/osc...a6b6802a56d4e6a