The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Best lowcost multi-use light?

Help Best lowcost multi-use light?

I was thinking of getting a bright portable light. I was considering the SL Scorpion but I didn't like how it had no other options beside really bright mode. So I looked at the SL Twin Tasks lights but I wanted something brighter. And I saw the SF A2 Aviator, but that is way to much for me to spend on a light. Are there any lights that are close to that good but are cheaper?
    -Beaver II

Default Re: Best lowcost multi-use light?

my first thought would've been those twintasks, but if you want brighter, maybe a pila GL3 (or the wolfeyes equivalent) on rechargeable batteries might fit your bill. still cheaper than the A2 upfront, and you'll still save in the long run by using those rechargeables....
    Somy Nex

Define low cost?..... I'd be tempted to suggest a Surefire 9AN, 20 lumens for 2 hours, or 140 lumens for 40 minutes, rechargeable (free light) flashlight.

Surefire price $258 for the kit, which includes house and vehicle adapters for the charger, might be able to get it cheaper on ebay or try OPTICSHQ.

Low power to high power is just a twist of the head.
    Last edited by RAF_Groundcrew; 11-28-2005 at 09:00 PM.
    Do something, or do nothing, but do it quickly, there's a line forming !!

Quote Originally Posted by RAF_Groundcrew
    Define low cost?..... I'd be tempted to suggest a Surefire 9AN, 20 lumens for 2 hours, or 140 lumens for 40 minutes, rechargeable (free light) flashlight.
    Low cost for me is around 30-50 dollars.

I had, liked, and then sold (aaargh!) a Streamlight 2L (2 level) 3w Tasklight. Very nice light, and I read on CPF somewhere that it was OK on R123 rechargeables (never had a chance to try that myself). Something like $54 on Amazon, with free ship, I believe.

The Streamlight 3W Task Light is nice... also for something even cheaper is the Streamlight 2L Twin Task... Sort of a poor man's A2, if you will... Xenon bulb in the middle, three blu-ish white LEDs around. Throw definately isn't as good as the A2's incand, but it's respectable but the LEDs put out probably my favorite beam pattern of any multi LED light I've ever owned. I've had two of them, sold one. There is also a similar 3C model that is a bit longer and heavier of course. It has six LEDs and offers either 3 LEDs or 6 LEDs in the LED mode.

Very versatile lights. They usually cost from $20-$40.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

UK 4AA (incan or LED)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver_2
    ...Scorpion...didn't like...had no other options beside really bright mode... SL Twin Tasks lights but I wanted something brighter...
    To review, you want a multiple level light, brighter than the SL Twin Tasks (presumably the AA version?), and less than $60.

One option is the Nuwai TM-301X-3: two level output, brighter than the Twin Tasks incandescent, and about $42:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ai_tm301x3.htm

Though it is at the top of your price range, here's another good option: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ad.php?t=98756
    Light is sweet and pleasing to the eyes....

Try the very often overlooked Pila GL2R. It has the leds/incan power of the A2, is cheaper, very well built, and has the option for primary 123 or li-ion rechargeable power.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Unenlightened

Not sure if it fits your requirments, but I have been impressed with the PentagonLight Flashlights, they seem pretty rugged and bright for the money in comparison.