MJ LED in 2 AAA mag Qs

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting a MJ LED for my 2AAA mag I have sitting around. Does any one have any run info about this and what does the beam look like. It seems a little large to put in such a small reflector.

Any info is great.
Thanks in advance.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit tricky to get the depth right, the LED has to be closer to the front of the flashlight rather than resting flush on the plastic it sockets into. Needs help there.

I had to drill out the reflector to make a fairly large hole, because otherwise the reflector when focused in and out would catch on the LED, bending the wires on the LED. I eventually put a couple of little plastic tubes as spacers to keep the wires from bending and getting shorted if the LED got misaligned.

Then I filed the bottom of the LED off around the perimeter to make it less likely to get caught on the edge of the hole.

Then I dropped it and the LED bent sideways anyhow so I gooped in some nonconductive thermal putty to gunk it into place.

Works fine now.

litho123

Enlightened
Hi R_M -

I have a MJLED in a 2AAA. I purchased the pre-bored out reflector from This_Is_Nascar as I trashed mine trying to drill it out. The performance is so-so in a 2AAA host, it is much better in a 2AA host.

I also have a River Rock 2AAA .5w LED light which is brighter than the minimag 2AAA with MJLED.

I also have a MJLED in a 2AA minimag which is brighter than either of the above lights.

My suggestion would be to pick up one of the Rock River .5w lights (10.00 USD) and drop your MJLED into a 2AA minimag.

I hope this helps.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Interesting comments? I bought a couple of MJ LEd's and one went into a Maglite AA and one into a Mag AAA. The reflectors didn't pose any problems when being drilled out but I did take my time and used a twist drill bit held by finger pressure only! The MJ I installed into both lights was fully seated on the switch and I've not had any issues of snagging or twisting of the LED causing damage to the Legs.

Interestingly the MJ used in the AAA uses normal alkalines and is very bright with a good white beam.

The MJ installed into the AA looks weak and washed out on alkalines but is comparable to another Mag AA conversion using a Terralux module if used on lithium batteries. As I've heard reports on CPF of Lithiums damaging MJLED's I tend to only use the lithium powered AA for short periods of time.

Doug

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
litho123 said:
My suggestion would be to pick up one of the Rock River .5w lights (10.00 USD) and drop your MJLED into a 2AA minimag.
cratz2 said:
litho123/cratz2, you guys will have to sell rogue_monkey one of your river rocks. There are no Target stores in Canada.

litho123

Enlightened
LEDninja said:
litho123/cratz2, you guys will have to sell rogue_monkey one of your river rocks. There are no Target stores in Canada.

Sure -

How many should I send up North?

Send me a PM with mailing addy.

Remember, we also have the Rock river LED lantern which has been getting rave reviews too.

DaveT

Enlightened
Hmmm...I put MJLEDs in 2AA and 2AAA lights, and I have to say that in my experience, the 2AAA works great. I've done 3 or 4 of these, and once you drill out the reflector, there's really nothing to it (well, my attempts have gone smoothly - I think if I'd faced any glitches I'd be singing a different tune). Anyhow, I found that the output of the 2AAA was great and really actually seems to show a bigger difference/greater improvement than the swap in a 2AA.
Anyway, that's my experience, but obviously people's opinions vary, as do the MJLEDs.
Dave

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if it works out then great... I just meant from an economical perspective the River Rock light is $10. The AAA Maglite is about $7 plus the MJLEDs are about $6.

But if you already have the Minimag and you already have the MJLED and there aren't Targets anywhere near you, then I see no reason not to try.

Tritium

Enlightened
Rogue_monkey said:
I'm thinking about getting a MJ LED for my 2AAA mag I have sitting around. Does any one have any run info about this and what does the beam look like. It seems a little large to put in such a small reflector.

Any info is great.
Thanks in advance.

I have done it before but the light output from an MJLED is much better with AA batteries.

Thurmond

Rogue_monkey

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

Seems there are mixed views about this. Maybe if I place and order with a company selling MJ LEDs I'll try it. Heck I got the AAA and its just sittin around. Gotta do somthing it.

Cheers
Adam

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just moved my CUT MJLED from my AA to my AAA. The MJLED is brighter in the AA. I am using Terralux TLE-10 reflectors and pure energy batteries in both.
In my experience the uncut MJLED (from the Shoppe) gives all spilllight with a very weak hotspot. The cut version (from Lighthound) works more like a regular bulb, nice hotspot, some spilllight. It is worth the extra 2 bucks.
http://www.lighthound.com/sales/mag_flashlight_accessories.php

[EDIT] Rogue_monkey I do have a spare uncut MJLED if you want to play with it. PM me with your address.

It is a pity J2LEDflashlight no longer sells the Nuwai (TM-311H) version of the River Rock (TM-311X)

Last edited: